300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .357 Sig

Is anyone carrying the .357 sig? I'm thinking making a switch to the Glock 31 from the Glock 22. I was able to shoot the G31 and loved it. I know TX DPS carries it in the Sig 226 but I haven't heard of any department’s carrying the G31. Any info or opinions would be appreciated.

.357 mag performance in a semi auto. in other words, a heavier faster 9mm.

Unless .357 sig ammo is aflling from trees where you are from, I would consider just sticking with the .40 as teh .357 doesnt offer anything over it other than an icrease in ammo cost and limitations to the amount of ammo available and places to by.

FWIW

Comment

I carry a P226 in .357 for duty and I love it. It's a "hot round", for sure, but I went with it when I compared the stats from the 9mm and .357 ammo we're allowed to carry and I liked what I saw out of the .357 sig. (those of us hired after a certain date are only allowed to carry Sigs and they have to be 9mm or .357sig)

Only complaint I have is ammo was difficult to find in stores (such as walmart) for a while, but it seems to be making a resurgence now...
      “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Originally posted by Marksman1 View Post
        .357 mag performance in a semi auto. in other words, a heavier faster 9mm.

Unless .357 sig ammo is aflling from trees where you are from, I would consider just sticking with the .40 as teh .357 doesnt offer anything over it other than an icrease in ammo cost and limitations to the amount of ammo available and places to by.

FWIW
        You just contradicted yourself; the .357 Sig has magnum performance but doesn't offer anything over the .40?

I carry a Glock 31 for duty. Love it. Has a little bit more "whip" behind the recoil then compared to the .40, but the faster round and flat trajectory make up the difference for me.
        Ammo can be hard to find at times; but if you order online you can get it with no problem whatsoever.

Comment

No i don't.

All from the Hornady line up, kept as close in projectile weight as possible:

.40S&W = 155gr @ 1180fps = 479 ftlbs
          .357sig = 147gr @ 1225= 490ftlbs
          .357mag = 140gr @ 1350fps = 566ftlbs

The quest for .357 power in a semi has been on for years. The 9x23 was the last one to try. Either way nothing has matched what the output of the magnum can do because that cartridge operates at higher pressure.

Anyway, with the above comparison the .357 offers 11 more foot pounds of energy when compared to teh .40 listed. I would rather gain the .045 in diamter and the extra 8gr of weight as a trade off to the extra 45fps. Trajectory.... please, we are talking duty guns. No one is looking at the drop on a deer 50+ yards away. we are talking combat distances between 7-15 yards where the gun will be used. At that distance trajectory isnt even a factor.
          capacity is a wash as they are the same.
          I'm not on team .40 or .357sig.
          The guy asked if teh .357 was worth getting into over the .40 he already has, the answer is no.
          ballisticly it offers nothing over the .40 when comparing like loads. When splitting hairs yu will see, as I even pointed out, a gain in muzzle energy that is 2.3%. If this was a new gun purchase then maybe it would be a diffrent story. As it sits he's looking at getting a gun that is more expensive to fire, harder to find ammo for, has less load options and more percived recoils than what he already has with his G22. I'm gonna go with teh answer is still no.

Comment

Well what I'm looking to do is go from the Gen 3 to a Gen 4. So I thought now would be the chance to move to a different caliber. I've heard the ammo is harder to find, but so far all the places I've looked have it, cost more though.

Comment

I'd stick with what you know for duty... I don't really like .40, but if you are used to it....

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

you can always do a 4th gen in .40 and buy a conversion barrel. Or buy the conversion barrel now and see if the .357 is what you want. You wont have the dual spring as in teh 4th gen but it will be a lot cheaper than buying a gun you later find out you didnt like. You will also sell the barrel when your done as well and take a little hit, but as stated it will still be cheaper than buy the actual gun and finding out it wasnt for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Marksman1 View Post
                  No i don't.

All from the Hornady line up, kept as close in projectile weight as possible:

.40S&W = 155gr @ 1180fps = 479 ftlbs
                  .357sig = 147gr @ 1225= 490ftlbs
                  .357mag = 140gr @ 1350fps = 566ftlbs

The quest for .357 power in a semi has been on for years. The 9x23 was the last one to try. Either way nothing has matched what the output of the magnum can do because that cartridge operates at higher pressure.

Anyway, with the above comparison the .357 offers 11 more foot pounds of energy when compared to teh .40 listed. I would rather gain the .045 in diamter and the extra 8gr of weight as a trade off to the extra 45fps. Trajectory.... please, we are talking duty guns. No one is looking at the drop on a deer 50+ yards away. we are talking combat distances between 7-15 yards where the gun will be used. At that distance trajectory isnt even a factor.
                  capacity is a wash as they are the same.
                  I'm not on team .40 or .357sig.
                  The guy asked if teh .357 was worth getting into over the .40 he already has, the answer is no.
                  ballisticly it offers nothing over the .40 when comparing like loads. When splitting hairs yu will see, as I even pointed out, a gain in muzzle energy that is 2.3%. If this was a new gun purchase then maybe it would be a diffrent story. As it sits he's looking at getting a gun that is more expensive to fire, harder to find ammo for, has less load options and more percived recoils than what he already has with his G22. I'm gonna go with teh answer is still no.
                  Not that it really matters, because I think any of those calibers are fine, but the .357 SIG was designed to replicate the 125-grain .357 magnum round, not the heavier bullets you have listed.

Federal lists their 125-gr .357 SIG HST's at 1360 fps and 513 foot pounds of energy. Their personal defense 125-gr .357 mag ammo is listed at 1440 fps and 575 ft-lbs of energy. The Federal 155 grain (their lightest) .40 HST bullet is listed at 463 ft-lbs and 1160 fps. Just another comparison to throw out there.
                  Last edited by tc215; 03-03-2011, 07:25 PM.

Comment

P226 on duty
                    P239 off

Love em!
                    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
                      P226 on duty
                      P239 off

Love em!
                      Are you copying me?

Comment

I like the .357 a lot, that and the .45 are the two rounds that I prefer. The 9mm is ok and fun to shoot, very accurate for me, but I don’t fully trust it, and we must carry it currently. I’m not a fan of the .40, it seems to me to be the worst attributes of all the other rounds put together. The accuracy and capacity of the 45 and the stopping power of the 9.
                        Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

Originally posted by JTShooter View Post
                          Are you copying me?
                          No I don't think so....

We get our ammo from the range. We initally had the Glock .40 but Sig offered to trade for the .357...both are easy to shoot..nice. But of the two.....I personally like the Sig.
                          This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Glock OEM .357 barrel? Same mags, drops right in.
                            Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

So the 40 and 357 gun are the same but with different barrels? I like that, so I buy a G31 and can buy a 40 barrel and use the same mags. I might as well buy the G31 and upgrade to the Gen 4, that way if I don't like the 357 over time I can go back to the 40.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5962 users online. 304 members and 5658 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X