Canted Scope Reticle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canted Scope Reticle

I pulled my M1A out from the safe and bagged it for the range. When I arrived, I did a function check and looked through the glass (SA 6 x 40 7.62) and noticed that the reticle was canted about ten degrees. I checked my rings and mount and they were good to go. Does anyone know what caused this and how to fix it?
    The Thousandth Man

The only thing I know of is the scope got knocked around and rotated in the rings. Loosen the rings and re-level the scope, making sure to tighten the rings back up to the proper specs with a torque wrench.
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

I have a similar problem. Its a Lisenfeld 4-12X56 on a Voere Titan II in .243 Win. Horizontal crosshair is about 5 degrees akilter. Not a disasterous thing, but my 100 yard groups no longer touch.
      I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

I just got off the phone with Springfield Armory and they're going to fix it, no questions asked. I checked similar incidents out online and I guess it's fairly common (in lower end scopes?).
        The Thousandth Man

Comment

Thanks for the heads up....I was unaware of scopes doing that. So you're saying the horizontal and vertical crosshairs are no longer 90 degrees to each other? Wierd. Never had the issue myself, but I also only run Leupold or Nikon for my optics
          Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
          --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

I think what's being described is that the scope is rotating in the rings. That the retical H/V are still at 90° to each other but that the scope's h/v allignment is no longer squared with the rifle.

DIY fixes often involve putting something "grippy" between the rings and the scope (emery paper, etc.) so that the rings don't let the scope slip.
            Last edited by Bounce; 11-15-2010, 09:03 AM.

Comment

If the scope spun in the rings it means the ring caps were not torqued properly or the rings are not of sufficient quality.

If the reticle canted in the scope and you don't have busted glass, then I would get the scope fixed and sell it. Then purchase a reliable scope.

DIY fixes as mentioned earlier are a band-aid for crap equipment. I have yet to have a set of quality rings allow a scope to slip without serious damage to the optic or ring set. Those who have seen my rigs know I am NOT gentle when it comes to their use.
              "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
              8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Here was the problem...My SA scope mount was in place and level with the rifle. The scope rings remained tightened and did not slip or sustain other damage. The scope's turrets remained in the proper position and the scope itself did not move at all, in relation to the scope mount, rifle and rings. The glass the reticle was etched on was jarred or became misaligned, causing the reticle to be canted to the right about ten degrees. The scope housing, rings, mount and rifle are all otherwise good to go.
                The Thousandth Man

Comment

Scope fail. Back to the mfgr for R&R.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5529 users online. 206 members and 5323 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                  X