300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun Safe

What kind of gun safe do you have in your house? If no safe, how do you store your guns? Is bigger better?
    sigpic

I own 3 Liberty safes, 2 50cu. ft and 1 35 cu ft. Always buy the biggest you can afford. The safe that holds all your stuff today will be overflowing tomorrow. You will also find safes end up holding much more than firearms...cash, important paperwork, your wifes jewelry, etc..........I am leaning towards this behemouth as my next purchase:

http://www.westcoastsafes.com/ironsi...p-1000138.html
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

This one

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys...cid=95138&fp=f

Barska biometric safe. I wish I needed a bigger one, but maybe in time.

Comment

In general round safe doors are more secure than rectangular safe doors are.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASOG View Post
          What kind of gun safe do you have in your house? If no safe, how do you store your guns? Is bigger better?
          Here's my write up on gun safes/general info on the topic. Hope it helps:

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...ight=BF+series
          - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

I've got one of these. IMHO, one of the most important things to do with a gun safe is to bolt-it down. I put mine in a corner with the hinge side away from the wall so that it is harder to pry on the non-hinge side and the door can swing wide open.

Comment

Buy one that is twice as big as what you think you will need.

They fill up fast. Once I collected all the long guns from their respective locations I was surprised to see how many I actually had.
              "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
              8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

When I designed my home, I wish I would have built a dedicated room as a vault. Would have been easier and just as cost effective in the long run, instead of buying safes. Might retro one in at some point and then have a gun safe sale. Would be nice to have a dedicated vault / man cave.
                The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

I have a Barska Large Biometric safe. This safe features all-steel construction with tamper-resistant inner edges. Although not fireproof, it does have pry-proof deadbolts for added safety. This safe comes carpet lined with a removable shelf. Much like the earlier safes, this is pre-drilled for easy installation. It's not even too expensive. You can buy this under 500$
                  Last edited by zaynkarim; 11-18-2019, 04:29 AM.

Comment

Woah, bringing up a nine year old thread.

Comment

Since we have revived this thread. Let's discuss who now prefers which company of safes? SentrySafe / Viking Security / AmazonBasics Home Keypad Safe or anything else?

Comment

• Aidokea
                        Aidokea commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I don't think any of those companies make actual safes.

Anything that costs less than ~$2k can be entered with a battery-powered grinder in far less time than you'd imagine. They're all 20 to 14 gauge (0.9mm-1.626mm) steel.

Avoid anything bio-metric (or, preferably, electronic in any way).

Check out the Lock Picking Lawyer's youtube channel and prepare to become even more paranoid:
                      Last edited by Carbonfiberfoot; 02-08-2020, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Mainstream gun "safes" are not really safes at all- they are RSCs (Residential Security Containers). An actual class C or B safe, or a UL-rated 15 or 30 minute safe large enough to hold guns, would be fantastically heavy, and very, very expensive. Do not confuse a UL sticker on an RSC for being UL-rated as a safe, because they are not.

RSCs have gotten cheaper and cheaper and cheaper over the years, and have gone from providing some security, to providing almost no security. Most of them are made in China, and even amongst the American-made big-name brands, they are mostly thin sheetmetal wrapped around several layers of drywall, even on the largest and thickest ones.

One noteworthy exception is Sturdy Safe out of California. They sell direct and skip all the foofy cosmetics, so your money goes to pay for thicker steel, instead of paying for additional layers of profit and fancy paint jobs.

Even their very cheapest "safe" has a 3/16" thick steel body, and NO drywall.

A typical package on one of their safes would be their "Magnum Steel" package, which gets you a reinforced solid steel door that is 9/16" thick, and a reinforced solid steel body that is more than 3/8" thick. In a typical 36" wide 60" tall 27" deep "safe", this would be over 1,300 pounds of solid steel, with NO drywall. They can also build them with a torch-proof stainless-steel liner.

Sturdy has some interesting videos on youtube regarding break-ins.
                        Last edited by Aidokea; 02-12-2020, 04:10 AM.

Comment

• Aidokea
                          Aidokea commented
                          Editing a comment
                          And make sure to store any powered cutting tools you may have, INSIDE the "safe".

I actually use a room with a locking door... a big walk-in closet.
                        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

• Aidokea
                          Aidokea commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Unless that's a very unusual room, with an even more unusial door, that would provide almost no security.

• tanksoldier
                          tanksoldier commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Any gun cabinet or “safe” I can put in my house provides almost no security anyway.

• Aidokea
                          Aidokea commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It all comes down to what you are willing to live with in terms of acceptable risk- you know your situation better than we do. A locked interior door won't stop any post-pubescent male or adult female for more than a second or two.

For me personally, I need to be able to live with my choices in securing my firearms, regarding the risk that any of my firearm(s) ever got loose and was used to orphan the children of one of my brothers in blue.

To that end, my decisions included purchasing my gun "safe" from a company that doesn't make them out of drywall wrapped in sheetmetal, custom-ordering it with steel twice as thick as normal, and making sure that no powered cutting tools were available within my residence.

No reasonably-forseeable brute force attack is going to defeat it, and if they try to cut their way in, they're gonna have to bring everything with them, and it's gonna take a lot longer than they were expecting.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10630 users online. 332 members and 10298 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X