300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AR15 Optics

Looking at getting an optic for my AR15. Im familiar with both Aimpoint and ACOGs, and like both for different reasons. I like the issued ACOG's 4x magnification I have on my M4, but someone suggested I get a magnifier for an Aimpoint or EOTech. I just wanna know what you guys run on your AR's and how you like them.

I run an Aimpoint M2 on my M4.

Keep the mission in mind when you select your equipment. What is the probability of you taking a shot at a target more than 50 yards away?

Which is more likely: Across the block or Across the room?

Will you really need magnification to ID a target?
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
    8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

On my work rifle, I use just a plain old Eotech, no magifier for reasons Blackdog has already alluded to. For my plinkers I run plain iron sights. I am currently building a scoped AR, and am thinking about running the new Nikon M223 on it.
      Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
      --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

Aimpoint ML2 for me, for the reasons posted above. Plus I like it better than the Eotech because of the battery life, it doesn't shut off automatically so it's always ready to go, and I personally don't care for how cluttered the Eotech reticle is.
        "Bad planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

Comment

On my AR/M4's I run EoTech's, Aimpoints, and a couple Trijicon Reflex (reflex on my plinkers). For magnified I have a Leupold CQT an ACOG TA31 w/doc optic and on my SPR I run a Swarovski w/doc optic.

For work, my primary is an EoTech as I actually prefer the reticle. As mentioned a non-magnified is more than likely what is needed in LE. If I do find myself at distance (happens quite a bit) I am generally on a bolt rifle, but my next most used is the ACOG, but I generally use this under specific situations. I will also add that a top mounted red dot on the ACOG is just about useless IMO.

In any case, by far the majority of my use is the EoTech, or a non-magnified. I do like the Mark 4 CQT reticle and the variable power but it is a bit top heavy and clunky feeling.

I am very interested in trying out the Trijicon Accupoint TR24 (true 1x-4x). I was also waiting on the Leupold cqbss, but I think it will be a bit too much coin.
          The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

The Leupold optic is badass. I got some hands on recently but no trigger time. The projected price makes a S&B Short Dot look like a deal.

I really want to get ahold of a TR24G. I got to use one on a SCAR and it's sweet with or without a PVS mounted up front. Very quick and very accurate. Not sure if it's going to be as forgiving as the Aimpoint once I strap on armor and a helmet though.
            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
            8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. I was leaning toward Aimpoint because I don't plan on shooting long range or anything and because I'm familiar with it, as well as battery life, no auto-shut off like EOTech, and I like the dot as opposed to the EOTech reticle. "Cluttered" was I think the best way I've heard it described. I like my issued ACOG with the red chevron because you *can* use it for reflexive fire with both eyes open and what not, which I've never had problems with...but they're just so pricey. Looks like it's gonna be an Aimpoint for me!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSheriff View Post
                On my work rifle, I use just a plain old Eotech, no magifier for reasons Blackdog has already alluded to. For my plinkers I run plain iron sights. I am currently building a scoped AR, and am thinking about running the new Nikon M223 on it.
                I like that optic and the price point. Not crazy about the reticle, though.

Im looking at the Leatherwood CMR, currently.

Comment

Just a heads up, EoTech offers several different reticle options, including a single dot only.
                  The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
                    The Leupold optic is badass. I got some hands on recently but no trigger time. The projected price makes a S&B Short Dot look like a deal.

I really want to get ahold of a TR24G. I got to use one on a SCAR and it's sweet with or without a PVS mounted up front. Very quick and very accurate. Not sure if it's going to be as forgiving as the Aimpoint once I strap on armor and a helmet though.
                    The price of the CQBSS, is what I think the big downfall, at least for myself, is going to be. Hopefully it will be listed under the 40% off LE discount program, so I am waiting to see.

I would like to get my hands on the TR24 also. I have had such poor experience with the early model Reflex sights and I am hearing some issues with potential washout with TRG24 also, at least the yellow, but as you note the green versions are supposed to perform better in low or varying lighting situations. I really need to see it for myself however. Maybe I need to send off another T&E letterhead.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

------------------
                      Last edited by tp2020; 03-24-2016, 02:10 PM.

Comment

For an ACOG, I had a TA01 that I used in the Army, and it was a fine piece of equipment. Very rugged, fantastic quality glass with great resolution, and a relatively accurate BDC reticle for 62gr M855. However, it left a lot to be desired. The eye relief was terribly short, and the focus was sometime difficult because it was an infinite focus. My eyes are bad enough and getting worse, so the ACOG started to give me headaches. The 4x TA31 is far superior IMO, since it has much more eye relief and BAC capability (better for CQB). I DID have a MS03 red dot mounted on top of the ACOG, and it was nice feature. It takes practice to get used to switching between the two, but it worked and was not all that difficult to get down. Zeroing the thing was difficult, since it sits so high off the bore line, but other than that, not a terrible setup. I think that ideally, the TR24G would have been a much better option. As many here have pointed out, the TR24G is a fantastic option, and it's a very fast reticle with excellent optics. I just wish Trijicon would make it with target turrets, but that's probably not going to happen any time soon.

I have since ditched the ACOG, and am switching to an Aimpoint with a magnifier, and probably at some point a Short Dot scope that will replace the scope/red dot combo on my SPR build.
                        Like others have said, many of the rifles we are using are for across the room usage, and not for three blocks down. Although, that being said, I could drop the 300m targets every time with iron sights on my M4 and M16A2 in the Army, so a red dot is more than capable at 100 or 200 with good accuracy. Keep in mind that most dots are 2MOA or 4MOA, with the EOTech center dot being 1MOA. Pretty precise, IMO, but that's just me thinking out loud. Everyone is different.

This is just info/FYI:
                        On my last call to J.R. at Leupold Tactical (early July), I was told that the CQBSS was going to be pushing just under or right at $3k, which as you guys pointed out is easily going to be more than the $2609 of the Premier Reticles V8 and $2599 for the S&B Short Dot 1-8x. Supposedly, the final production version will have some form of HD glass, which is part of the major cost factor. Also, the Horus reticle I'm sure tacks on an unreasonably unfair mark-up. Govt contract orders are supposed to be getting filled this month, and then LE orders are supposed to start shipping sometime between September and October. Civilian market sales aren't projected to start until early 2011. Whether this means that us LEOs can contact our reps and get the hookup or not in the September/October time frame, I couldn't get an answer on that.
                        "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                        -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

i like the m68 its a floating dot sight an very accurate

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3893 users online. 270 members and 3623 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X