300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .223 ammo question

What is a great .223 ammo for on-duty carry? I've been looking at some of the ranger ammo and usually like their stuff, but figured I'd run it by ya'll too.

Thanks in advance for your time.

what does your dept want you to carry, penetrator, frangible, dont care?

id have mags with mostly frangible and a few with penetrator marked with some tape..your dept should be the ones tell ing you what to carry so if SHTF you arent dangling out on a limb for using non-departmental issued stuff, like tracers lol..
    In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Not exactly sure what they carry...SWAT and K9 are the only ones carrying AR's right now. I've got one on order and was looking at getting some defensive ammo that would be acceptable for later (if crime statistics are ever bad enough to warrant carrying them...BS). We responded to a call earlier this week where a guy was said to have a rifle and military training, but still aren’t allowed.

Comment

We are issued / mandated to use Win. Ranger 55gr PSP in our patrol rifles.

The Hornady TAP rounds look pretty good.
        Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
        --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

Hornady TAP rounds are great rounds for duty carry...

Comment

I prefer the heaviest bullet weight the rifle can stabilize.

If you have a 1/9 rifle twist I would probably stay in the 60's on bullet weight, although you could test your rifle with heavier ammo, such at 75 grain Hornady TAP, to see if it will stabilize.

Options to consider:

Federal Tactical TRU or Tactical Bonded in heavier bullet weights.

Winchester Ranger Ammunition in 62, 64, & 69 grains.

Hornady TAP ammo, with preference to the 5.56 NATO loads over the .223 Remington loads if your chamber is marked 5.56 NATO.

Black Hills .223 ammunition utilizing the Sierra Match King bullet in 69 or 77 grain.
            Last edited by Bighead; 07-01-2010, 02:21 PM.
            "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

We carry federal Tactical Bonded in 55 gr. and 62 gr. flavors.

Comment

As has been mentioned, barrel dependent but my first choice would be the Hornady TAP 75gr. One of my 1:9's like it, but others do not. Good in the 1:7's. Next up would be the 77gr Black Hills SMK.
                The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Some independent tests showed that the Speer Gold Dot 62gr Bonded is the best for defeating safety glass. It's basically the same as the Federal tactical bonded. My department uses Federal Tactical Bonded 55gr SPs, since we're more concerned about penetration and barriers. (Ironically, my deparment refuses to switch to a bonded JHP pistol round).

I'd rather be carrying the 62gr or 64gr bonded offerings, but it's much better than FMJ.
                  "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                  -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

Reedo,
                    What independant tests are you refering to?

I just attended an ATK ballistics workshop, and the Federal bonded outperformed the Speer GD in auto glass. Although both are bonded rounds, the Speer jacket s plated on, while in the federal the jacket and core are welded together. Both rounds perform very similarly up until the auto glass barrier.
                    "It is better to avoid than to fight, better to deter than to kill. But.....it is better to kill than to die, or watch an innocent slaughtered, because you didn't have the wherewithal to defend them." - M. A.

"We should bear in mind that, in general, it is the object of our newspapers rather to create a sensation-to make a point-than to further the cause of truth."-Edgar Allan Poe(1809-1849)

Comment

I can't remember. I was at an SLR15/Defensive Edge course and the lead instructor was giving the info. I didn't write it down since it was early and I didn't have any coffee and I'm not a morning person. ATK uses SLR15 rifles for their tests, so they gave him the info directly. I guess I would have to revise my statement and say "TESTS", and remove the independent part because I can't remember if the tests were independent or done by ATK. Being that I live here in the Twin Cities metro area in Minnesota, everything up here is all about ATK. This was accurate as of March 2010. I could probably make a call and find out on Monday or Tuesday, but it may very well have changed. If ATK is claiming the Federal is better, so be it. What bullet weight were they testing? Do you remember?
                      "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                      -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Surf View Post
                        As has been mentioned, barrel dependent but my first choice would be the Hornady TAP 75gr. One of my 1:9's like it, but others do not. Good in the 1:7's. Next up would be the 77gr Black Hills SMK.
                        +1. We carry the 75 gr TAP's and have had great success with them. I carry a Colt M4LE with a 1:7 twist and get very nice accuracy with them.
                        Originally posted by kontemplerande
                        Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Reedo View Post
                          This was accurate as of March 2010. What bullet weight were they testing? Do you remember?
                          62 gr. TBBC. Pretty sure the GD was 64 gr. 29 June 2010. Not sure when it will post on ATK's website. Location was Grand Island, NE.
                          "It is better to avoid than to fight, better to deter than to kill. But.....it is better to kill than to die, or watch an innocent slaughtered, because you didn't have the wherewithal to defend them." - M. A.

"We should bear in mind that, in general, it is the object of our newspapers rather to create a sensation-to make a point-than to further the cause of truth."-Edgar Allan Poe(1809-1849)

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
                            +1. We carry the 75 gr TAP's and have had great success with them. I carry a Colt M4LE with a 1:7 twist and get very nice accuracy with them.
                            Very good rounds, as is the Federal load using the Barnes TSX projectile. Where the bonded bullets really pull ahead of the pack is performance through laminated auto glass, which is tough on any projectile. The same bonded bullets also command a premium price tag!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10132 users online. 481 members and 9651 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X