300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .357 Sig Glock - Opinions?

I've been looking at picking up a brand new Glock in .357 Sig. Shop here is letting me have it for around $560.

I'm still pretty naive to buying guns/ballistics(22 years old haha), so any input from the old timers and gurus would be much appreciated! (and forgive me if this has been discussed before, couldnt find anything under the search function.)

Heard some positive things and some negative things about the round.
    -Great penetration
    -Easy to handle recoil
    -Similar power to a .45
    -Ammunition is hard to find, often expensive
    -High pressure ammo makes failures more common
    -Tendency to over penetrate

Opinions?

A G31 has been my "truck" gun for several years.

The .357 Sig round is fun to shoot but it is a little more expensive.

Like everything else, if possible, try before you buy it.
    ROLL TIDE!!!

Comment

If you end up buying any ammo on your own it may be a little harder to find. I never see it on the shelf around here, but it may just be a regional thing. I've only known one person that had a .357 Sig.

On this website I read something once about the round being the standard issue of the Oklahoma State Police (hwy patrol maybe) or whatever they're called there due to its ability to penetrate vehicles. True or not I don't know. Read it here I believe, and if not it was PoliceOne. It's a high velocity round I think. I'm not well read on it, but if that's the case I don't see how it's at all comparable to a .45 acp.

If you get it and don't like it you can buy a new barrel and turn it into a .40 S&W. You'll have a "new" gun that will fit your existing holster.

Comment

Originally posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
        If you end up buying any ammo on your own it may be a little harder to find. I never see it on the shelf around here, but it may just be a regional thing. I've only known one person that had a .357 Sig.

On this website I read something once about the round being the standard issue of the Oklahoma State Police (hwy patrol maybe) or whatever they're called there due to its ability to penetrate vehicles. True or not I don't know. Read it here I believe, and if not it was PoliceOne. It's a high velocity round I think. I'm not well read on it, but if that's the case I don't see how it's at all comparable to a .45 acp.

If you get it and don't like it you can buy a new barrel and turn it into a .40 S&W. You'll have a "new" gun that will fit your existing holster.
        It is the issue round of the Oklahoma troopers and Texas troopers. Along w/ several other agencies.Very good penetration on barriers. Recoil is not bad. Fast round. Rounds can be expensive. i know agency purchase from where order ammo is the same price as 40. If you need more rounds reload. It does not jam alot due to the bottleneck. Your straight wall cases will do that more. Great round.

Comment

We carry the 357 sig round and my Chief has said that if we switch weapons we will get away from it. It is just a too much of a pain to try and find ammo, especially practice ammo.
          “Most people spend more time and energy going around problems than in trying to solve them.”
          ― Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by irish21 View Post

Opinions?
            Yes, get 9mm, save lots of $$$$, and put that money toward ammo and training. .357 Sig is a solution in search of a problem.
            - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Do you have any other firearms?

If this is your first buy, a .357 wouldn't be a wise decision.

Will is correct. You need to practice. You should put a few thousand rounds through that thing in under 6 months. Go price out it out and let me know how much that will be.

Comment

Yeah I have like 6 other guns.
                a Charles Daly 1911, a Springfield 1911, a Springfield XD9, Glock 9mm, Bushmaster XM15, and a Mossberg 835.

I shot a friend of mines Glock in .357 Sig and really liked it. I was accurate with it through the stress test and managed a 86% without ever practicing with the gun before.

According to the armor I might buy from, "Since the round is going near 1400 fps, when you combine that with a JHP you get some great expansion."

Comment

.357SIG is the duty round for the North Carolina State Highway Patrol. Due to the fact that 90% of our day is spent around motor vehicles, the NCSHP wanted a round that would punch glass/sheet metal easily.

Comment

I'd like to shoot some .357 Sig rounds. I've never really wanted one because I never see the ammo at the store, but I did a little reading after this thread last night. I'm happy with it.

Comment

I like the sig .357's ... P226/9 models in particular.

You know that you can swap out the barrels on the SIGs... if you buy a .40 you can get a drop in .357...vice versa...

I know a guy who changes out his barrel from a .40 to .357 during the winter.. his reasoning is the extra penetration from the .357 is needed for heavy clothing..

I don't know if you can swap out with glocks or not.. there's a company that makes a good quality drop in.. I'll have to ask him and get back to you

Comment

That'd be awesome to hear
                        I know you can do the same thing with the M&P's.

Comment

A couple minutes of google fu and it appears you can swap the barrels on the glock also.. no issues there

Comment

HEY! go to glockworld.com....357s are about $100 cheaper...if its cost effecient to send it to your FFl, then consider saving the $$$, you will need it for the ammo
                            ALSO...check out ombguns.com, cheaper still
                            "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                            The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                            sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
                            Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

As mentioned ammo may be hard to find and is expensive, however you can easily shoot .40S&W through it.

Also under the LE / Homeland Security discount, Glock offers the Blue Label LE models to security officers. Might seriously want to check if you qualify. You will get an extra mag and another $100 or so off of the retail price.
                              The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6256 users online. 348 members and 5908 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X