300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loading your shotgun

I did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for. I'm curious how everyone else loads their duty shotgun. I carry slugs and 00 buck and alternate them. Do you use both? Do you alternate? Which do you have ready to go first; slug or buck? Why?
    David Bailey Photography | Bailey Tactical

sigpic

"Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor satan shudders and says oh hell he's awake!"

I load up with 00 buck, and keep a few slugs as well as specialty rounds on the butt stock.
    Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

I never have different ammo loaded in the same tube.

It's always either ONLY buckshot or ONLY slugs.

Comment

1-Buck 2-Slug 3-Slug 4-Slug 5-Throw shotgun
        "I would suggest that when a person has a thought of doing anything serious against the law, that before they did, that they should go to a quiet place and think about it seriously."

William George Bonin - Executed in Calfornia Feb 23rd 1996

Comment

Shotguns used for duty should not have alternating ammo in the tube, IMO. Buck is in the tube and reduced recoil slugs are on standby.
          NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Why would you alternate rounds?

Comment

Prohibited by policy to have slugs loaded in the shotgun......00 buck loaded, with slugs on the ammo sleeve.....
              The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

We explain the capabilities of buckshot and slugs. Both are authorized. We do insist that officers know the capability of their ammunition. We mandate that the shotgun be loaded with either buckshot or slug. If a circumstance develops that the other load is the better choice, officers may load as necessary. I think most officers with mixed buck/slug loads will have no idea what's coming down the barrel next at the moment of truth. It would be challenging to explain that a slug penetrated multiple walls and killed a saint when you hoped it was buckshot. Likewise, you wouldn't want to shoot a hostage with buckshot when you thought the round in the chamber was a slug.

In my outfit, officers without rifles tend to load their shotguns with slugs. They're trying to replicate a rifle which is what I did before I had a rifle.

Of course, making the rifle the standard long gun would eliminate some of these issues.
                John from Maryland

Comment

I agree that alternating is a BAD idea. I load 00 in all of my shotguns because if you need it NOW it means it's close enough the buck pattern probably won't even open up beyond fist size. If I feel the need I can execute a "select slug" drill and load a slug round from the side saddle.

I can bet my bottom dollar that after first contact no one who alternates will know what the next round in the magazine is. There are piles of gunfights where the participants had no idea how many rounds they fired or if they even fired until after the incident was over. Asking an officer to remember what's up next in the tube is unrealistic and slugs penetrate too far to release one unintentionally.

Just my $.02. Obviously if you are bound by SOP, do what your agency requires. Just remember that BOTH of you will have to defend the SOP in court if you collect interest on that wayward slug.
                  "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                  8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

000 buck in the mag, full power slugs in the side saddle. If the target is far enough away to require a slug, you have time to select slug.
                    I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Good feedback guys. That's what I was looking for. I carry a rifle as well and very rarely pull the shotgun out, but I have been training a little more with it recently. There is no SOP in our department for the way you carry rounds. Across the board I can find guys in our department that do it every way. The idea is that to punch through a windshield you may need both rounds.

After some thought and since I carry a rifle, I will be chaning to carrying all .00 in the tube and the slugs on the side.

Good feedback and thanks!
                      David Bailey Photography | Bailey Tactical

sigpic

"Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor satan shudders and says oh hell he's awake!"

Comment

NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

I have an AR also, but ole Mossy is easier to get to in a hurry.
                          I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

There is always the option for both. Never used it, no idea if it works, just listing options.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM823-5.html

Comment

Originally posted by dbphotos View Post
                              The idea is that to punch through a windshield you may need both rounds.
                              Go shoot some windshields.
                              "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                              8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6222 users online. 351 members and 5871 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X