300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern 9mm vs. 40 Data

I am NOT trying to stir up another caliber wars debate. Shoot what you can hit with and are most comfortable with.

Having said that, does anyone have any modern ballistic data regarding 9mm vs 40 for expansion, penetration, etc? I know that the 40 has more stopping power, but by what kind of margin over a good +P round like a HST?

Ammo has come a long way since 1986 and was wondering if the .40 is a moot point now if a solid 9mm +P can perform the same but with greater control, less recoil, and higher capacity.

Factual data only please, not personal opinion or preference.
    Shot placement > caliber. Using a .45ACP means nothing if you can't hit your target. Practice, train, and do it all over again...and again...and again.

Go to the federal ammunition law enforcement website and click on the ballastic tables. There you can see the FBI test results for the HST and other major brand hollowpoint's in 9, 40 and 45.

Kansas
    I trust my life with J. M. Browning's design, the 1911.

Comment

Winchester's site also has a fantastic table where you can select various rounds to see their energy and expansion characteristics and compare..
      Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by CSIBPD View Post
        I know that the 40 has more stopping power........
        Be careful of what you "know"......
        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
        8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Try, http://www.firearmstactical.com/ammo_data/ammodata.htm and http://www.brassfetcher.com/
          "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Thucydides

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
            you crack me up Devil Dog!!
            Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

+1

Comment

errrr Ya....

I say,

Even if you know most, 99.9% of the delta variables, One cannot conclude a solid definitive solution or answer concerning this particular inquriry...

We have factual irrefutable mathematical solutions that Euclid Failed contemplating much simpler inquiries, born from later complex truths.

This hypothesis started as a complete disaster and failure due to it qualitative nature and lack of definitive component(s)...

I suggest that you start with known agreements and work from there.

And the best of luck.. in your journey, in and around the laws of nature..

The Professor of stuff.
                Alex "Sully" Sullivan
                Originally posted by mookster
                Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
                Originally posted by CityCopDC
                I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
                Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
                I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
                -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

I am NOT trying to stir up another caliber wars debate. Shoot what you can hit with and are most comfortable with.

Having said that, does anyone have any modern ballistic data regarding 9mm vs 40 for expansion, penetration, etc? I know that the 40 has more stopping power, but by what kind of margin over a good +P round like a HST?

Ammo has come a long way since 1986 and was wondering if the .40 is a moot point now if a solid 9mm +P can perform the same but with greater control, less recoil, and higher capacity.

Dr Roberts posts his data all the time here:

http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=91
                  - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Whichever round performs best in FMJ hardball configuration is what you should shoot. Because when whatever super dooper exploding tip depleted uranium razor tip flower petal with silver tips and piranha teeth round fails to perform as advertised, it falls to the lowest common denominator which is (K.E.=1/2 x m x v 2)

Comment

You have to know enough to be careful of what one knows. I don't think this shoe fits.
                      The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Too many variables. Barrel length is one. your definition of expansion, penetration, etc is going to depend on target. Is it ballistic gelatin? Heavily clothed individual? Windshield glass? Bony part of body like the head? Gypsum board?

You might find a +P+ round that performs similarly to a 40S&W round in ballistic gelatin out of a 4" barrel. Change the barrel to 5" and everything will be different.
                        "Did that hurt? It looked like it hurt"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5354 users online. 291 members and 5063 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X