300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mossberg 590A1

I have a mossberg 590A1 20"barrel with speedfeed stock as my current home defense weapon. i use remington 00 buck.

Thinking about throwing some items on there and maybe using different rounds. not too much of a shotgun guy.

What is everyone using in terms of rounds? stock? light? anything else?

I use Remington Home Defense rounds. The round with BBs in it the a Centurion round. I go every other one. The centurion round is i think a .5 slug with 6 single ott buck shot behind it. Its a nice looking pattern.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

Thanks for stopping me from doing a one man keg stand by myself, clad in only a towel. That probably wouldve ended badly...

Comment

I would put a Surefire forend on it, load it with Federal Tactical 00 buckshot and leave it alone.

Resist the urge to "throw items on it" just because.
      "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
      8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Remington Magnum 00 Buck.
        sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

ACTUALLY, if you think about it, you should use bird shot because it has a wider pattern. More BB's = More Destruction.

JUST KIDDING. I Have Winchester Ranger Low Recoil 00 Buck in my shotty. Nothin else.
          Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand...

Comment

What's wrong with the setup you've got now? Sounds fine to me. As was already said, maybe add a light. Don't get carried away throwing a bunch of extraneous BS on it.
            NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
              I would put a Surefire forend on it, load it with Federal Tactical 00 buckshot and leave it alone.

Resist the urge to "throw items on it" just because.
              which model number of the surefire do you have? wasnt trying to tacticool it out, just looking to add light and trying to figure out which ammo to use. i also want to see who preferred the pistol grip w/stock vs. the standard straight back (not sure if im using the correct terminology) stock.

Comment

It's a home defense shotgun. Make sure it goes bang when you pull the trigger and use 00 buck. It's not rocket science and it doesn't need any add-ons. You control the lights at home, and I assume you know the house very well so it's not an unknown no-light environment.
                "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

Originally posted by yellowreef View Post
                  It's a home defense shotgun. Make sure it goes bang when you pull the trigger and use 00 buck. It's not rocket science and it doesn't need any add-ons. You control the lights at home, and I assume you know the house very well so it's not an unknown no-light environment.
                  Except for when the BG is between you and the light switch.

Bad advice; don't assume just because it's your house you'll be able to control the lighting.

Comment

I had a Surefire forend on my Mossberg, but the built-in pressure switch was less than reliable. I dumped it.

The shotty is really a "retreat" firearm, intended for my wife as she retreats to the master bedroom/bath/closet. It is waiting for her there. I usually have my sidearm on me, so it is my HD weapon.

My shotguns don't get treated well, they don't get money dumped into them, but they are loaded with 00 Buck and are cleaned and maintained for reliability. If I am hunting BGs, I carry a rifle...
                    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gchang817 View Post
                      which model number of the surefire do you have? wasnt trying to tacticool it out, just looking to add light and trying to figure out which ammo to use. i also want to see who preferred the pistol grip w/stock vs. the standard straight back (not sure if im using the correct terminology) stock.
                      My primary home defense long gun is a shotgun and is my preferred weapon in a close quarters area.

The 590A1 is a good choice and you can look into this Surefire light http://www.surefire.com/ShotgunWeaponLights. The Surefire forend light isn't cheap but it is darn good quality. We run them on our work Benelli M1's and they are rugged. Of course there are other good weapon light options also that may not be as expensive.

As for pistol grips I like them for work, as they give me better control over the shotgun for keeping it mounted while doing tac reloads, or for weapons control in a tuck position when I need to free up my support hand for something else. The pistol grip is also good for alternate or improvised shooting positions especially with the Benelli and its inertia system. However for home defense a pistol grip wouldn't be as critical and the safety is not easily manipulated on the Mossberg when you go with a pistol grip.

While not as critical for home defense, I also like a good sling and I like a side saddle set up to keep additional ammo on the weapon.
                      The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by Till View Post

Bad advice; don't assume just because it's your house you'll be able to control the lighting.
                        Fine, go put a $230 Surefire forearm on your $300 home defense shotgun. Far be it for me to say otherwise. You conveniently forgot the KNOWN part, it might be dark but you KNOW your house. Anyways, just an opinion...
                        "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

+1

Originally posted by Till View Post

Well said, also the light isn't to see with it's used to positively identify your intended target as a threat and not your little one who had a bad dream. It also goes a long way toward disorienting a BG. Besides, I don't know many folks who have a light switch right beside their bed.

My home shotty is a Norinco 98 "Hawk" (Remington 870 clone made in China available for about 1/3 the price) loaded with Federal reduced power 00 Buck and have a Streamlight Mx3 light mounted on an adapter that bolted to the barrel (can't remember the manufacturer but it serves the purpose well).

Comment

Originally posted by cpd169 View Post
                            Besides, I don't know many folks who have a light switch right beside their bed.
                            I'm Surf. Glad to meet you. Now you know another one. My side and the wifey's side of the bed has light switches. I designed and built the home with many conveniences. Or I am really just lazy to get up and turn off the light.
                            The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

id like to know where people buy Mossy 590A1's for 300 bucks?

cause i paid almost 600 and i feel ripped off.

light mount of any type is all you need, now ive added duracoating, some internal work and a sling, but the Surfire forend is the best mod you can do
                              In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6191 users online. 353 members and 5838 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X