CCW disclosure to LE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCW disclosure to LE

I'm trying to find information on how many states require permit holders to inform LE that they are carrying and have a valid permit and how many states require the firearm to be concealed. I tried looking at usacarry, but the information is not complete for most states. The Iowa legislature just passed a NRA sponsored SHALL issue bill, waiting on the Governor to sign it, it will recognize ALL OTHER STATES CCW, PTC, CCH et al, permits. Thanks fo any info.

FL and TX don't require it... but it's probably a good idea
    “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Nebraska requires notification any time official contact is made with officers.

Nebraska has open carry. Nebraska is handgun only, Iowa is weapon carry permit, not open carry without permit.

That could all change with the new laws.
      Last edited by David Hineline; 04-09-2010, 01:46 AM.

Comment

There were always two schools of thought in regards to this. When stopped say for a traffic violation surrender your CCW permit with your DL, the other was just give the DL and keep your mouth shut.
        This problem was solved, so to speak, when they started connecting the permits to the DL so when a DL history was ran it came back you had a CCW. In some cases when a license plate was checked it would come back that the registered owner had a CCW permit.
        It is a good idea to let the officer know that you are armed in a calm polite manner that way there are no surprises for anyone. Keep in mind this is in Arkansas and southern LEO are not surprised by someone who has firearms in their vehicles as they are encountered on a daily basis.

Comment

Regardless of law, disclosure should be the very first thing anyone (LEO or not) does, but with the proper language. You don't just blurt out "I have a gun", but something to the affect of "I just wanted to let you know that I'm armed, and here is my permit/LE I.D." It amazes me how something that simple can be screwed up by idiots

Retired Lawdawg & Proud IMPD Papa!

"Justice is the one thing you should always find"
          Toby Keith

Comment

It is required in Ohio if you have a firearm with you in the vehicle. This is true for both drivers and passengers. We have often joked about what it would look like if an LEO pulled over as charter bus full of people who each had a CHL and were armed....each individual would have to individually promptly notify the poor LEO.

The law says you must "promptly notify"......but "promptly" has not been defined by the courts yet, it can at times be difficult to get a word in edgewise to notify.

But I say "Officer I have an Ohio CHL and I am armed...the firearm is ___________ "<--wherever it is.

One of the two times I have had to notify the OSHP Officer said "OK.....just don't shoot me....ok ? "

Some Officers seem to mis understand the law and will insist that I must tell them that I have a CHL (concealed handgun license) even if I am unarmed.....this is incorrect.

In Ohio you are not REQUIRED to conceal............but again, some Officers are apparently mis informed and may insist there is a law that requires that.

Bill
            Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Iowa had never recognized other states permits, so it will be a literal 180 degree turn, to recognize all states permits if the bill is signed. The last I checked there is no training through the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy for dealing with a citizen with a permit, and in speaking with other officers and agencies, there is a definite concern for training and SOPs to safely interact with the public in this regard.
              A DL or similar check might not work here because each county Sheriff issues the permit, and information sharing to state level would be confusing. there are many changes that need to be implimented before 1-1-11 when the bill would go into law.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache66 View Post
                I'm trying to find information on how many states require permit holders to inform LE that they are carrying and have a valid permit and how many states require the firearm to be concealed. I tried looking at usacarry, but the information is not complete for most states. The Iowa legislature just passed a NRA sponsored SHALL issue bill, waiting on the Governor to sign it, it will recognize ALL OTHER STATES CCW, PTC, CCH et al, permits. Thanks fo any info.
                See:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

I think they have it covered.
                - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Originally posted by JTShooter View Post
                  FL and TX don't require it... but it's probably a good idea
                  This is incorrect. In TX, when an officer demands identification from a CHL holder (who is also carrying a handgun), the CHL holder must present his ID and CHL together.

Sec. 411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE. If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.
                  The September 2009 legislature update removed the suspension penalty and punishment for not displaying your CHL, but the requirement is still there.

Old code section

Sec. 411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY [DISPLAYING]
                  LICENSE[; PENALTY]. [(a)] If a license holder is carrying a
                  handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or
                  a peace officer demands that the license holder display
                  identification, the license holder shall display both the license
                  holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by
                  the department and the license holder's handgun license. [A person
                  who fails or refuses to display the license and identification as
                  required by this subsection is subject to suspension of the
                  person's license as provided by Section 411.187.
                  [(b) A person commits an offense if the person fails or
                  refuses to display the license and identification as required by
                  Subsection (a) after previously having had the person's license
                  suspended for a violation of that subsection. An offense under this
                  subsection is a Class B misdemeanor.]
                  Oh yeah and TX requires handguns to be concealed. No open carry.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache66 View Post
                    Colorado doesnt require it but even if it is not required, you would be well advised to let the officer know if the firearm is in a place that is within your sphere of influence.

I carry every day. The officer will get my neccessary documents and the "for your safety and mine, I have a permit and there is a firearm in the car" quote.

There have been a few threads on here about whether you should do that when you dont HAVE to and whether doing so makes you a "gun dork" or whatever. I would rather be up front about what I have and where it is so I can make sure that the whole stop goes safely for both of us and a misunderstanding is not as easily accessible.

If I happen to run into the 1% of LE that would see that as being a gun dork or being proud that im carrying or whatever they feel, oh well.
                    -------------------------------
                    You can't fix stupid, but you can arrest it. - LINY

"Their house, their rules. And when they get robbed, they can call 911 and ask them to send a hippie to protect them." - ateamer

Comment

Here in WA we're not required to say we're carrying. On the other hand, an officer will know we have a permit when he runs the plates and checks the identity of the registered owner. Only time I've been pulled over the officer never asked for my ID, my hands never left the wheel, I stayed quiet. If my reaching could in any way reveal a concealed weapon, I'll speak up. Last thing I need is for an officer to notice the gun just as I reach in its general direction.
                      **Not a LEO**

Comment

The sheriffs deputies that taught our class suggested we let the officer know. We have the option to have it on our DL or a seperate card. I opted for the seperate card since I don't want everyone that I show my ID to to know I am CCW.
                        sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

LEO's don't like surprises... especially when they involve firearms. Even when not required, I would highly recommend it. I haven't been pulled over while CCW'ing, but here's how I would handle it:
                          • Pull over safely and slowly to the side of the road.
                          • Turn off my vehicle and hold on to the keys or place them in my pocket.
                          • Roll down the driver side window.
                          • If it's night, turn on the interior dome light. I have tinted windows, so if there's a passenger, I'll have them roll down their window.
                          • Place both hands on the steering wheel, with fingers out straight.
                          • Do not fidget or search for wallet/registration/insurance.
                          • When Officer arrives and asks for license/etc. state "Officer, I have a permit to concealed carry, and I have a firearm on my person (or in the vehicle), how would you like me to proceed?"
                          • Be compliant and respectful.
                          • No sudden or unexpected movements.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Michigan requires disclosure.
                            My OODA Loop: Observe, Over-react, Destroy and Apologize.

Comment

Alabama pistol permits required the pistol to be concealed.

I couldn't find anything that required notification.
                              ROLL TIDE!!!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10513 users online. 381 members and 10132 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X