Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Tale of Two Guns

A Tale of Two Guns:

On April 1, 2010, I visited a small shop in downtown Tomball, Texas. From the outside, Bob’s Wild West appears exactly as one might expect a gun shop to look in a small Texas town.

With a sign out front clearly stating the intended focus of this retail establishment, few would be surprised by what lay in store for them inside.

Bob’s boasts of having an amazing collection of 1st generation Colts and Winchesters, as well as having handmade and collectible knives and Texas Ranger memorabilia. Nearly one entire wall is covered with a glass display case, full of knives that are either handmade, presentation sets, or collectibles. In a glass display case that forms an island in the center of the store, military memorabilia, historic firearms, and collections of new and used firearms are offered for sale.

However, it wasn’t the firearms in the center display cases, nor the handmade knives that I came to see that day.

In the corner of the building, in a special bi-level glass case, Bob keeps his Ranger guns. Each handgun in this case has a story behind it, and most have letters, badges, or pictures to add to their provenance. I had seen them before, and knew of their history, and wanted to see them again. I hoped Bob would let me snap a few pictures to share their story with the rest of you.

Of the many handguns in the case, this is the tale of two Colt 1911s…

In 1975, a Texas Ranger named Joe Coleman was transferred to West Texas, in the Pecos region. Ranger Coleman got to know his local landowners, and became especially well acquainted with a rancher in Loving County, Jimmy Wheat.

Mr. Wheat respected and liked Ranger Coleman, and one day presented him with a ’74 Colt Gold Cup National Match. Ranger Coleman was grateful for the gift, and admired the pistol very much, showing it off to fellow Rangers with whom he worked. Ranger Coleman carried the Colt as his duty weapon, grateful for the rancher for giving him such a fine handgun with which to execute his duties as a Texas Ranger.

After about a year’s time, Mr. Wheat requested Ranger Coleman to bring him the pistol back, as he needed it. The Ranger was saddened at this request, because it was such a fine pistol, and he hated to part with it.

Reluctantly, the Ranger brought back the gifted pistol to the rancher, who in turn presented him with an exact duplicate of the original pistol, but this one being a bit newer (serial # 70N83---) and fully engraved! The grips were sterling silver, and inlaid with gold!

Ranger Coleman wore his engraved Colt Gold Cup proudly, as Rangers are known for being strapped with the very best hardware available, and are not averse to dressing them up with custom embellishments!

Six months later, Mr Wheat called on the Ranger to come meet him once more. At this meeting, Mr. Wheat returned the original Colt. While it was away, the Colt was fully engraved and customized to be the second part of a perfectly matched set!

The pistols are exquisite, with deep cut engraving, in a pattern that is truly classic American Scroll. One of the pistols has obviously been worn a bit more than the other. Its engraving has become “antiqued” from the dirt and grime that must have been come by honestly from years of wear. The second, although carried on occasion, must have seen little use, as it is still bright and shiny as it must have been the day it was handed to the Ranger.

In 1991, Joe Coleman (retired Ranger Sergeant), presented the pistols to the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum, where they were on display for eight years.

These pistols (and other Ranger pistols) are on display at Bob’s Wild West. A letter accompanies the pistols, telling of their tale. The letter is written by a Texas Ranger who worked with Ranger Coleman, and personally saw the pistols.

The pistols come with Ranger Coleman's badge, and stag-handled Case folding knife he always had with him.

As for pricing: if you have to ask… ☺

If you live anywhere nearby, you owe it to yourself to drop by and check them out. Tell Bob you read about his Ranger pistols online, and wanted to see them in person.

Bob’s Wild West
    400 W. Main St.
    Tomball, TX 77375
    (800) 713-0105
    Last edited by jwise; 04-03-2010, 06:08 PM.
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Bravo!!!!

Great story!
    ROLL TIDE!!!

Comment

Very Cool.
      "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
      8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

That's what you call, "community policing!"
        J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks jwise! We need to hear more stories like this.
          sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

There are at least six other guns in that case, and I look forward to learning their stories as well, and sharing them with you all!
            J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

awesome story, although im a proud okie, i grew up on tales of the texas rangers, and other terrritorial lawmen...

one of the cooler features is they both ahve good combat sights, looking good and being ready to work can be a rarity even with 1911's
              Last edited by Mstangfk; 04-04-2010, 01:30 AM.
              In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

Originally posted by Mstangfk View Post
                one of the cooler features is they both ahve good combat sights.....
                Those actually look like the stock target sights that Colt installed on it's Gold Cup pistols. My father still has a Series 70 Nickel plated Gold Cup.
                "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

I wonder how the guns got from the Ranger Museum to Bob's.
                  "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                  John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth View Post
                    I wonder how the guns got from the Ranger Museum to Bob's.
                    Bob bought them from the Ranger's wife, after he passed.
                    J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

Great story. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Nice story.

So how much?
                        The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Great story Jwise. Stories like that one make me proud to be part of the LE community. And I still hate you....
                          One Shot, One Kill. Anything else is just pu(ff)y!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4890 users online. 291 members and 4599 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X