X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 For duty use?

Hey guys,

So here is my thing.

I LOVE 1911's. When I worked for the Sheriff I couldnt carry one though. Now that I am in the private sector i want to get one if possible. I want something that is reliable and will work when I need it.

The problem is I can only spend about $500. I have been looking on GunBroker.com and can probably pick one up for around that with shipping and an FFL dealer. If I cant find one though I am probably going to go with with an XD, Ruger, or Glock.

I have been seeing alot of Springfield Armory, Rock Island Armory, and Taurus.

I know Springfield is a decent company, but the ones I have been seeing the most of is the 1911 .45 Mil-Spec.

Does anyone have any suggestions? If not im just going to go with probably an XD.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=129957
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Yes, I have seen that thread. That gives basic information as to what to look for when buying and what each type of 1911 is. That is not what I am looking for though. I am asking for practical advice on a weapon that is going to actually be carried and the thoughts of officers and professionals as to what is good to carry.

This isnt for just going to the range, it will be carried on a daily basis.

Comment

Stay away from the Taurus. For the price range your looking at the Springfield Mil-Spec is great. RIA (Rock's) are tough, reliable and have great customer service. I recently seen a Rock "Mil Spec" on budsgunshop for $400. I'm very partial to Springfield becasue as for 1911's that what I buy, but the Rock is also a great choice.

Kansas
        Last edited by KS1911 Five O; 03-24-2010, 11:30 PM.
        I trust my life with J. M. Browning's design, the 1911.

Comment

Originally posted by M.C.S.D View Post
          I am asking for practical advice on a weapon that is going to actually be carried and the thoughts of officers and professionals as to what is good to carry.
          My thought is you wont find a 1911 that fits this bill on your budget.

In my humble, honest opinion, you're going to spend double your budget to buy a weapon I would trust for daily use. Springfield Loaded and above models would be a good bet.

I own a Mil-Spec. Good for what it is, but there are too many things I would want to upgrade before carrying (sights especially). You may be able to get a good used weapon in the $750 range if you look around.

Of course, your views may vary.
          Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
          --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

Well I am used to Sig's. I had a 226 DAK for my duty use. Like an idiot I sold it for $350, it was brand new too. I like the heavier weight and full size. Im a bigger guy. I love 1911's and grew up using the Sig 220. They just feel right to me. If I have to go up to the 7-800 range I might as well if im going to have to pay that much for a 226 or 220.

Comment

Go to what you know and then you won't have to retrain yourself and pick the caliber your department shoots so that you don't have to buy your own ammo.

Comment

You've said twice that you "love 1911's" but you haven't stated the reason behind that. IME, most people that "love" a certain type of gun don't need help/opinions on certain models.

Not being critical, just trying to get a sense of what it is that you're looking for. I agree a Mil-Spec is not a carry/duty gun. However, not knowing specifically what you needs are (ala 'private sector') it's difficult to recommend something.

I agree that for your price range, I doubt you'll be carrying a 1911. I think my TLE was over $750 and that was 7 years ago.
                NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

No 1911 in your price range will be suitable.

If I had a choice I would carry one for duty use.

Start with this http://www.10-8performance.com/1911_Duty_Use.html

Then get onto 10-8 forums and do some more reading http://www.10-8forums.com/
                  The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

I won't add much to the above that would be useful, but if you just like the feel of a 1911 angled-grip the XD is a comfortable, reliable compromise.
                    "All that is, ever
                    Ever was, will be, ever
                    Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Comment

OK, I'll say it. Do you really want a 7 shot, full size frame with a single action trigger and miriad of safety's as a CCW? Would you feel safe carrying this weapon in condition 1, using an IWB holster?

Retired Lawdawg & Proud IMPD Papa!

"Justice is the one thing you should always find"
                      Toby Keith

Comment

Originally posted by 55-502 View Post
                        OK, I'll say it. Do you really want a 7 shot, full size frame with a single action trigger and miriad of safety's as a CCW? Would you feel safe carrying this weapon in condition 1, using an IWB holster?

I do every day.....except mine is 8-shot (CMC Magazines)

The only ones who have a problem with it are those who don't understand the platform or the fact that when it's "cocked and locked" there are actually three safeties keeping it from going bang.

To the OP:

To echo what others have said.....nothing in your price range. You are going to need to bump up several hundred to get one that is going to be reliable and durable enough for duty use.
                        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                        8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSheriff View Post
                          Springfield Loaded..........
                          Yep....... +1. That would be my minimum choice

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
                          - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

Originally posted by 55-502 View Post

ABSOLUTELY.

Want to. Can. Do.

As for the push toward higher-end 1911s, I say horse hockey. Most guys aren't good enough shooters to take advantage of the better features we see on models such as the Springfield TRP.

A basic model loaded with good 230 gr hollow points makes you a very well armed man.

Of course, one can always stick with a plastic wonder gun.

Me -- I'll take anything from a basic to a midrange to a pimped-out 1911 over most anything else, any day of the week.

Why? The trigger, for starters.
                            Last edited by ThinkingReserve; 03-25-2010, 01:21 PM.
                            The pistol, learn it well, carry it always.

Comment

I am, and I do every day. Except I use 8-round wilson mags.
                              I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8523 users online. 428 members and 8095 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X