Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Molle Mayhem

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Molle Mayhem

    Ok so I went to this great active shooter class this week. Lots of simunitions, welts, and bruises. Anyways, during the instruction phase the instructors stressed the need for a bail out bag to take into an active shooter with you. Now I got a duty bag thats equiped for any zombie outbreak but I aint going to be dragging my patrol bag around a school with me. Whats more is I can see how akward slinging a bag around my sholder and lugging it around like some tactical coach bag. So I got this great lightbulb moment when I thought of taking this old tactical plate carrier I got and strapping all the pouches and gear I need to it. Unfourtinately the vest is pre Molle. Meaning it has three doubble AR Mag Pouches with elastic bands for pistol mags and a radio pouch on the back. Thats it. Its black built by Point Blank and I have soft Level 2 kevlar inside. A kevlar coller. Long story short is there a place where I can get strips of Molle materal and sew it onto the vest so I can outfit it so everything I need in a active shooter event or Zombie invasion is there on my person? Thanks
    Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

  • #2
    Try Jones Tactical at www.jonestactical.com. He makes all kinds of molle stuff and he may be willing to sell a few feet of the nylon. [email protected].
    David Bailey Photography | Bailey Tactical

    sigpic

    "Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor satan shudders and says oh hell he's awake!"

    Comment


    • #3
      What items did your instructor tell you you might want in a "bail out bag"?
      "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
      -Winston Churchill

      Thanks for stopping me from doing a one man keg stand by myself, clad in only a towel. That probably wouldve ended badly...

      Comment


      • #4
        You can go as cheap or as expensive as you want.

        Cheap would be Condor Outdoor (which is who makes my current "active shooter" plate carrier.

        Expensive would be London Bridge Trading Company. I don't own any of their stuff since it's really too rich for my blood.

        Light and fast is the way to go. Don't strap your entire gear bag on a vest. Plates, a couple of mags and an IFAK should do it. Flex cuffs are nice too.
        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
        8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MidnightAvenger View Post
          What items did your instructor tell you you might want in a "bail out bag"?
          Tactical Wedges, Chem lights, Quick Clot, Israli Bandages, Agwa, Powerbar, Ammo, More Ammo, Spare Mags with Ammo,Back up Flash Light, Batterys, Tourniquet, Floor Plans, Knife, Kerlex, ect.
          Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

          Comment


          • #6
            It may be cheaper to just purchase a molle style carrier and pouches than to have molle strips sewn onto a vest. If you check the classified sections of certain websites there are tons of gear being sold pretty reasonable.

            You can get a decent molle plate carrier for about $100 or so new. You can add pouches to fit your needs. Just something to think about.
            The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

            Surfs Up on youtube!

            Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

            Comment


            • #7
              You aren't going to need half that crap for an "active shooter".

              What class was this?

              Plan on two to four mags, light, AFAIK (to include CAT) and cuffs. You should already have a sidearm and knife. If you have access to Level III-IV plates, then take those. Many of our active shooter situations have involved suspects with rifles.
              "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
              8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by brad601 View Post
                ....Anyways, during the instruction phase the instructors stressed the need for a bail out bag to take into an active shooter with you....
                Just to clarify, there is a difference between a bail out bag, and and active shooter rig / set up.
                The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

                Surfs Up on youtube!

                Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Listen to blackdog and surf, you don't need everything you listed. Also, just how many "floorplans" does he expect you to carry? Every building in your city?
                  David Bailey Photography | Bailey Tactical

                  sigpic

                  "Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor satan shudders and says oh hell he's awake!"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    My department bought us 5.11 bailout bags after we started the active shooter training. That was over a year ago. I went to admin with a list of supplies that would be good to carry and have the same bag in each car. Needless to say the bags are still empty because medical supplies and quick clot are too expensive.

                    I got to thinking about it and said screw it...Im not a medic, Im not going to stop and eat or drink in a war zone and I already carry enough .223 ammo and whatever else I need to begin with. Its good to be prepared but Im not slowing myself down worrying about it. By the time the playing games and loading up is done the whole thing will be over.
                    And the road becomes my bride.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by 10-97UPD View Post
                      My department bought us 5.11 bailout bags after we started the active shooter training. That was over a year ago. I went to admin with a list of supplies that would be good to carry and have the same bag in each car. Needless to say the bags are still empty because medical supplies and quick clot are too expensive.

                      I got to thinking about it and said screw it...Im not a medic, Im not going to stop and eat or drink in a war zone and I already carry enough .223 ammo and whatever else I need to begin with. Its good to be prepared but Im not slowing myself down worrying about it. By the time the playing games and loading up is done the whole thing will be over.
                      Your pretty much correct. No matter how hard it may seem, You will have to step over the wounded and dying in order to get to the shooter and engage them ASAP before they can do more damage. By the time all is said and done, the hose draggers and ambulance should be on scene anyway.

                      I will say that our blow-out kits or the more current catchy phrase IFAK () does contain QuikClot. But as you mention your not a medic nor are most people. QuikClot doesn't work like you see in the movies and it takes at least 3-4 people to apply it effectively and you need time to get it done. Practice on live tissue is a big help. It is nearly impossible to get it to work without formal training. Direct pressure, gauze and packing a wound is much more effective for a layman and is better in a pinch. Also a tourniquet is very good but many have rules regarding their use. I carry one and rules be damned.
                      The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

                      Surfs Up on youtube!

                      Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Due to info coming back from the battlefields we are passing on the Quick Clot or any other clotting agent. Instead we are just using Israeli Bandages and CAT tourniquets.

                        And yes, for some reason I couldn't type IFAK for the life of me. How do you thin I would fair typing out Individual First Aid Kit? Hell it took me three tries for that. Damn iPhone and my new keyboard are conspiring to destroy my ability to type OR spell.
                        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                        8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Medical gear in an Active Shooter kit is for use on YOU or a brother/sister officer who takes a round, AFTER the shooter(s) is neutralized, and before EMS gets to you.
                          "It is better to avoid than to fight, better to deter than to kill. But.....it is better to kill than to die, or watch an innocent slaughtered, because you didn't have the wherewithal to defend them." - M. A.

                          "We should bear in mind that, in general, it is the object of our newspapers rather to create a sensation-to make a point-than to further the cause of truth."-Edgar Allan Poe(1809-1849)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Surf View Post
                            Your pretty much correct. No matter how hard it may seem, You will have to step over the wounded and dying in order to get to the shooter and engage them ASAP before they can do more damage. By the time all is said and done, the hose draggers and ambulance should be on scene anyway.

                            I will say that our blow-out kits or the more current catchy phrase IFAK () does contain QuikClot. But as you mention your not a medic nor are most people. QuikClot doesn't work like you see in the movies and it takes at least 3-4 people to apply it effectively and you need time to get it done. Practice on live tissue is a big help. It is nearly impossible to get it to work without formal training. Direct pressure, gauze and packing a wound is much more effective for a layman and is better in a pinch. Also a tourniquet is very good but many have rules regarding their use. I carry one and rules be damned.
                            I certainly don't have the medical background / experience to employ QuikClot, et al, however I would point out that disaster medical these days has cycled around to focusing on direct pressure methods.

                            Most first aid for first responders classes cover the material as well as practice.

                            As an added bonus, civvie staff can sit in on 2 sessions in a CERT class or similar if the instruction is any good and have what you need to know to employ the most common bandage techniques, get hands on practice applying and tying them, etc.

                            One of the things we are doing in our community is talking to schools and other higher profile targets about doing CERT delivery or an augmented first aid class to help put the skills in more hands to free up our first responders to target the threat and know that they have other resources natively available in the setting to help stabilize the stuff they are walking around/over until the calvary shows.

                            If you are really concerned about this area, maybe a good step would be emailing your local OEM to ask what they are doing for community outreach to build these kinds of basic emergency response skills into the community.
                            -------------------------------
                            You can't fix stupid, but you can arrest it. - LINY

                            "Their house, their rules. And when they get robbed, they can call 911 and ask them to send a hippie to protect them." - ateamer

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I kept this in my trunk:





                              It's fast and light, and has in it what I would want with me...
                              J. Wise

                              AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

                              "Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

                              Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 6187 users online. 353 members and 5834 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X