300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess I'm "That Guy"

I built a couple rifles today. One for a someone else and one for me. I actually started mine a few weeks ago, but finally got around to getting all the FDE parts together and finished it off, less the flash hider. I have yet to build myself a Flat Dark Earth rifle because I didn't want to be "that guy". However I got a good price on the FDE UBR stock and the FDE Sun Devil Upper / Lower combo. So what the heck.

Sun Devil matched upper lower. Billet receivers that are matched fit. I equate them to a custom fitment of a 1911 frame and slide. Not the slightest bit of wiggle.

- Armalite LPK, with stock Armalite trigger for now. Looking at either a Giessele SSA or doing my own custom trigger.
    - Colt BCG
    - Colt charging handle, but will replace with a BCM and my own custom modified PRI combat latch to replace the BCM mod 3 latch.
    - Daniel Defense, CHF 16" barrel assembly
    - Daniel Defense Omega X 12.0 quad rail
    - Magpul XT rail covers
    - Magpul UBR stock
    - Tango Down rear grip
    - Tango Down stubby QD vertical foregrip
    - Magpul rear BUS
    - EoTech 553 w/scopecoat

Here is the complete rifle. A bit of coin in it, but a nice looking rifle as I decided to add quite a bit of black to break up the FDE. Looking forward to getting out on the range.
    The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

BTW - Everyone already knows that you are "that guy."
    Officer Down Memorial Page

Comment

I'm usually not a fan of colored receivers, but you did that one right. Looks great!

No pics of the other guy's?!
      Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity

Comment

I wouldn't complain if you built me a rifle , I wouldn't mind being "that guy"

Comment

Originally posted by COBRA90GT View Post
          BTW - Everyone already knows that you are "that guy."
          No kidding. I think I have more than enough AR/M4's already.

Besides maintaining our 75 carbines, I do enough builds / accessorizing on the side to open my own business.
          The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

Nice work.

Comment

Originally posted by nadler20 View Post
              I'm usually not a fan of colored receivers, but you did that one right. Looks great!

No pics of the other guy's?!
              Thanks. Some do complete FDE everything, even down to the barrel, along the lines of the Noveske FDE Recce. However I just can't stand that much dark earth. This is about the most that I can handle. I do plan on painting the EoTech hood FDE but leave the main housing black. I would also like to swap out the UBR storage doors to black ones. I will also paint the Smith Vortex flash hider FDE when it shows up.

I didn't post the other guys rifle because I can't stand the VFG he picked out. But in any event here it is.

I should correct myself and say this was not a full build. I just took his Colt AR15A3 HBAR and dressed it up.

Before - Pretty stock, cept for the Mako grip pod

I just put on a DD Omega X 12.0 rail, EoTech XPS, Magpul MIAD grip, Vltor Emod stock, Emdom sling, Magpul BAD, Magpul rear BUS. I will be adding a Surefire X300 at the 12 o'clock position forward of the front sight and a BCM Gunfighter charging handle with my own custom PRI combat latch conversion.

After

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

nice weapons, dont care for the VFG either..
                In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

Changed this one up slightly from the original post. Since I became "that guy" by doing an FDE build, I figured I might as well go all the way and slap on an AFG. I have been wanting to T&E one for awhile, so I will give it a shot. Took of my usual choice in the stubby VFG. I must say the AFG feels pretty good in the hand so far.

Changed out to a thicker / gripier butt stock pad as the one that came with the UBR was too slick against body armor.

I am normally a die hard surefire X300 type, but I decided to T&E the C4 LED TLR1. My past complaints with the Streamlights were the switch, which hasn't changed and the lens would get screwed up from muzzle blast pretty quickly. Upon first check the X300 is indeed brighter but the streamlight's light was whiter. Both lights are far more than bright enough for a CQB weapon so the difference in brightness between the 2 meant nothing. The Upside is that the C4 TLR 1 is more than half the cost. Still doesn't seem like it is as durable as the Surefire's. We will see.

Also put on one of my old school battery assist devices as the Magpul BAD would not fit on the Sun Devil upper without modification. Yes we had these before Magpul toyed with them.

Also put on my favorite sling, the VCAS.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

Range Report
                    Took it to the range and got it zero'd at 50y. As with my past experience with the DD barrels this one was on par. The rifle pretty easily shot 1" to sub 1" groups at 50y, or around 2MOA with irons and EoTech. I am pretty confident in saying that scoped it would be an easy sub 2MOA rifle. IMO this is very good for this type of barrel / carbine.

As noted, the Sun Devil lower will not allow for a Magpul BAD type lever so I went with one of my old school set ups. No issues until I added locktite to the threads of the screw. I think getting the screw as far out as possible and the small amount of added weight of the locktite started to give me intermittent failures to lock back on an empty mag. This is common with to heavy or incorrect angles in the design common to early variations of this type of lever. Just to add I have yet to have an issue with any of my Magpul BAD levers even after thousands of rounds of use.

Now for the Magpul AFG. I will say that I do shoot with a very extended support hand grip, much like you see being touted by the Magpul fellas. It is an offshoot of my competition shotgun days. Being an old school vertical stubby grip type of guy I really hated the AFG when it was released, just because of the looks. Silly perhaps, but I just didn't want to like it. Also I guess since the Magpul nutswingers flock to their product, just because it says Magpul, perhaps that made me like it even less.

In any event, the AFG felt very good in the hand and for my grip the AFG actually fit like a glove. Did that make it perform as good or better than what I used the stubby VFG for? Yes it did. I hate to say it but my original assessment was wrong. Ouch. I really really liked the AFG. And at half the cost of my choice in VFG's, I think more of the Magpul AFG's will find homes on some of my rifles.

As for the Streamlight, it is working well with no issues. Its light is a bit less bright than the Surefire, but its beam is not as narrow as the Surefire. I would guess that the Streamlight doesn't seem as bright because its beam and light throw is wider larger. Again, the Streamlight's actual light was a whiter color than the Surefire, which I liked. I still wish the streamlight switch functioned more like the Surefire, but I am quite pleased with the light so far, especially for the price. The Streamlight is slightly taller than the Surefire and the FSP just clears the light. Not as much wiggle room as the Surefire but it still gives a sight picture. With a standard "F" Front Sight Base / post.
                    Last edited by Surf; 03-20-2010, 03:16 PM.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

what would you charge to make one???
                      "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                      The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                      sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
                      Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

i'm actually "that guy" but you can be the "gun guy".
                        Last edited by That Guy; 03-20-2010, 05:32 PM.
                        Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

^ Owned. LOL
                          Officer Down Memorial Page

Comment

Originally posted by crass cop View Post
                            what would you charge to make one???
                            Retail pricing on all the parts in this rifle would run around $3100 as it sits with the EoTech 553. If you can get parts cheaper you could shave off a few hundred. Then figure about $150-$200 to have it assembled.

Just to be clear, I assemble many of my own rifles from scratch, or personally selected individual parts, however I do not build and sell complete weapons as I am not a licensed weapons manufacturer / firearms dealer. When I say that I built one for someone else, I pretty much mean that I assembled or accessorized a rifle / lower with parts that they already owned / purchased. I just help them assemble it, so to speak.

If you really are interested on doing your own, I can give a break down of the parts used with pricing.

Originally posted by That Guy View Post
                            i'm actually "that guy" but you can be the "gun guy".
                            Doh! Sorry, you can be "That Guy". I really don't want to be "that guy".

In my circles, I am already "The Gun Guy" so I'll be OK with that.
                            Last edited by Surf; 03-20-2010, 06:57 PM.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

Originally posted by Surf View Post
                              If you really are interested on doing your own, I can give a break down of the parts used with pricing.
                              I'd be very interested in a parts list.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5167 users online. 283 members and 4884 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X