X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• towncop
    replied
    Originally posted by Reedo View Post
    While true for the most part, I have put my Glock through some serious conditions in snow and rain and mud. I've thrown it in my locker covered in condensation and rainwater. Never seen a single sign of corrosion on that sucker.
    Other guns I have, though. But never on my Glocks. And I've seriously abused my Glocks. So much so that I'm actually a bit embarrassed about it in a way.

Leave a comment:

• Reedo
    replied
    Originally posted by yellowreef View Post
    I agree with the routine maintenance aspect. My duty H&K will show surface rust (light) in certain areas fairly quickly (Overnight - 2 days) if it is exposed to rain, and it has the HE (harsh environment) finish. I don't care what brand gun you have, dunk it in a water bucket and wait a day or two and see what happens. These guns have corrosion resistant finishes, not corrosion proof...
    While true for the most part, I have put my Glock through some serious conditions in snow and rain and mud. I've thrown it in my locker covered in condensation and rainwater. Never seen a single sign of corrosion on that sucker.
    Other guns I have, though. But never on my Glocks. And I've seriously abused my Glocks. So much so that I'm actually a bit embarrassed about it in a way.

Leave a comment:

• njmb
    replied
    Originally posted by cpd169 View Post
    It had some holster wear, but no rust inside or out.
    I'v had a m&p for about a year now with no marks on the frame what so ever, the XD I traded in was black but looked silver from the finish coming off in and out of a safariland kydex holster.

Leave a comment:

• Viking79
    replied
    Pistols are man made... That being said every manufacturer is going to have it's problems on the production line from time to time. I got an M&P .40 over a year ago and did have surface rust/stain on the slide after a few months. I field stripped it, brushed off the rust/stain with a metal brush, soaked it in CLP for hours, cleaned the heck out of it, and haven't had a problem since. You have to maintain these weapons. I've easily put 5,000+ rounds down range with no problems. As long as your comfortable with the operation, feel, and nuances of your personal pistol, then it's the right pistol.
    Last edited by Viking79; 02-08-2010, 04:35 AM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• Blackdog F4i
    replied
    Stainless = Stain LESS not Stain PROOF

Leave a comment:

• parjr
    replied
    I'm with Blackdog, send me some of those rusty old useless M&Ps!
    Stainless steel (key word steel) is steel with a high nickel content. The more nickel the more rust resistant, the more nickel the more brittle the metal is. So firearms are a very low grade of stainless, all firearms!
    Some have better finishes than others. Guess they stopped teaching maintanence, hey it's just a pistol that might just might be needed to save your *** one days, so I wouldn't worry about cleaning it!!

Leave a comment:

• Blackdog F4i
    replied
    What? You mean weapons need to be maintained?

Surely we shouldn't issue weapons that recruits actually have to care for! The horror. They might actually learn something and develop respect by caring for a lifesaving tool.

I will take all those rusty M&P's off your hands. Just send them to me. I have a jug of CLP around here somewhere. I guarantee a 9mm M&P in this house would get used too much to rust.

Leave a comment:

• Rblake
    replied
    We had this issue in the academy last October, as well. We found it was prominent after enclosing the weapons in their tightly sealed cases after use if there was any degree of moisture left on it. We were told to either remove it from the case & store it in a safe, or just leave the gun's case open.

Leave a comment:

• ford_shooter
    replied
    Originally posted by eman2k5 View Post
    When you were sent a new slide and barrel did it have a new SN ?
    nope

Leave a comment:

• eman2k5
    replied
    Originally posted by ford_shooter View Post
    I had trouble with my M&P9 rusting on the slide even with proper cleaning. I called S&W and they had me send it in to them at no cost. They sent it back with a new slide and barrel.
    When you were sent a new slide and barrel did it have a new SN ?

Leave a comment:

• yellowreef
    replied
    I agree with the routine maintenance aspect. My duty H&K will show surface rust (light) in certain areas fairly quickly (Overnight - 2 days) if it is exposed to rain, and it has the HE (harsh environment) finish. I don't care what brand gun you have, dunk it in a water bucket and wait a day or two and see what happens. These guns have corrosion resistant finishes, not corrosion proof...

Leave a comment:

• cpd169
    replied
    I purchased a used S&W M&P 9MM last year that had been carried as a duty weapon by an officer with another agency for over 2 years. It had some holster wear, but no rust inside or out. It pretty much stays in the box most of the time and I've yet to see any rust. Other than cleaning it and wiping it down after shooting it shortly after I got it I haven't done anything to it.

I've been carrying Glocks both on and off duty since I got my first G-17 in 1987 although I will wipe the outside down 3-4 times a year I've never had any of them rust. I've seen some rust on standard steel parts, i.e. slide stops, springs, etc on some of my officers' Glocks when doing the recommended annual strip down inspection on them, but have never seen any rust on the slides. I suppose it's possible, but I've never seen it happen.

I find it very hard to believe that new-in-the-box production pistols from any major manufacturer that had been kept in "dry storage" would have any rust on them. As others have said, I believe there has to be more to this story than is being told.

+1 for Till's post above. That's been my experience too.

Leave a comment:

• Till
    replied
    People still don't seem to get that not giving your weapon routine wipedowns = corrosion.

You can have the biggest POS handgun on the market, but keep it well maintained, and you will never see rust.

I've yet to see rust/corrosion as an inherent, unpreventable problem in any weapon.

Leave a comment:

• Name Taken
    replied
    My SW MP40C shows no signs of issues. I've had it for over 2 years and it's my OD weapon. It gets carried in the rain, snow, summer heat, ocean air, and is usually kept in a IWB holster.

No signs of issues at all. It gets lubed usually once a month and wiped down. Cleaned after range trips.

Leave a comment:

• ford_shooter
    replied
    I had trouble with my M&P9 rusting on the slide even with proper cleaning. I called S&W and they had me send it in to them at no cost. They sent it back with a new slide and barrel.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4166 users online. 275 members and 3891 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X