300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gun safe recommendations

Hey, i've finally gotten the money to purchase a gun safe and I realized I don't know anything about them. I live in a relatively safe neighbor but the job has me paranoid. I have a growing collection and want something heavy enough not to be easily walked out of the house. I would like something around the $1000-$1300 range, anyone have any insight? I was looking at the large chain stores websites and Dick's Sporting Goods has a Stack On Elite that looks like a good deal (not that I need that much room). I know Stack On are sorta crap but what about the high end models? Any help or insight will be much appreciated. Thanx!

Originally posted by 91Firebirder View Post
    I live in a relatively safe neighborhood
    This really means nothing.

Comment

Howdy, I dont want to hijack the thread, but my question is along the same line.. Does anyone have a recommendation on a inexpensive pistol lock box? Is under $50 realistic? I have seen those generic lock boxes at target for around $30. I just want a place to store a pistol. No kids in the house, just somewhere to put it other than my night stand.

Comment

Originally posted by Till View Post
        This really means nothing.
        I know, but like I said, this job has made me paranoid. I have never seen or been given a reason to be concerned with where I live but I know crime happens everywhere. I'd also like to think a neighbor would call 911 if they saw a safe "walking" out of my house but I've been on too many calls where the neighbors sat and watched and never picked up the phone.

Comment

I personally own a Liberty Safe. Liberty Safe is a fantastic company that makes very high-quality safes that are some of the best fire rated and anti-tamper rated safes on the market. They're also pretty affordable, given the quality of the safes. Liberty has their own series of safes, and also makes the TimberRidge line of safes for Gander Mountain, as well as making Cabela's name-brand safes. I've personally talked to several Liberty Safe reps, as well as have sold their safes in my previous profession. Compared to brands like Stack-On, you are getting a much better product.
          Check out http://www.libertysafe.com/ for more info.

As a side-note, I don't know how much you've researched into buying a safe, but I have some information/suggestions that could be helpful to you or anyone else looking to get a safe.

- Always buy a quality safe made from high-quality construction with a good locking system. Good construction is heavy gauge steel or hardened steel, not sheet metal. The inside should be fire rated and lined with fireboard. The door should have expanding fire sealant on the trim. The locking system should use retracting steel pins/bolts, not levers or hooks. Ideally, it's a good idea to get a safe that has the locking pins/bolts on at least 2 sides (all 4 sides being the best). The more pins/bolts the better. The locking system should be a quality dial, like those by Sargent & Greenleaf or similar companies. Electronic locks aren't too bad either, if you get a quality one. The safe should have several internal lock protection and anti-tamper safeguards, preventing your safe from being forced open. The safe should have bolt holes on the bottom which will allow you to bolt the safe to the floor of your residence.

- Get a fire rated safe. As stated above, the safe should have fire board lining and the door to the safe should be lined with expanding fire seal. Ideal fire ratings should be actual burn time, not a calculated time. Some companies start the clock for testing when the oven starts heating up. Liberty, and only a few others start their fire protection clock when the oven reaches top temps (around 1800F). For your safe, choose a safe that has the desired amount of fire protection. The bigger the house, the longer it can burn, the longer and higher fire rating you will need. If you have the safe sitting in a concrete basement, you may not need as significant of a fire rating. Check out http://www.libertysafe.com/learnmore.php?sid=5&pid=71 for more info on fire testing.

-The biggest "rule of thumb" for safes is to determine what size you will need. Safes give size based on the number of long guns that it holds. Consider how many you own, then take into consideration handguns, magazines, optics, accessories, ammunition, and valuables. Then, when you have that figured out, get a safe that is at least ONE SIZE BIGGER. I cannot stress this enough. When I sold safes, the biggest complaint customers had was that they outgrew their safe. Once you get a safe and put your guns in it, then you start putting in ammunition, important documents that you need to protect from fire/theft, jewelry, valuables (women love safes, btw), you will run out of space quickly. Then, consider that you will be buying more guns in the future. Personally, I recommend going at least 2 sizes up from where you currently are. I went one size up, and I'm already running short on space after only a year. TRUST ME!!!
          I actually know a guy that owns a half-dozen safes. He'd buy a safe for what he needed, then he outgrew it and would buy a larger one. He outgrew all of them and eventually had to turn one of his basement rooms into a large hardened/reinforced walk-in vault. If he had bought the biggest safe first or second, he would have saved some money and not bought at least 3 of the safes. Now, that's a bit extreme, but there are lots of people out there that have outgrown their safes and needed to upgrade.

-Make friends with someone that is strong, owns a pickup truck, and likes to be paid in beer.
          "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
          -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

Originally posted by ec2749 View Post
            Howdy, I dont want to hijack the thread, but my question is along the same line.. Does anyone have a recommendation on a inexpensive pistol lock box? Is under $50 realistic? I have seen those generic lock boxes at target for around $30. I just want a place to store a pistol. No kids in the house, just somewhere to put it other than my night stand.
            I have GunVault safes in various rooms of my house on every level. This makes it easy for me to easily access a handgun from any location in my house within a few seconds, just in case something happens. The GunVault safes are great because they can be operated blindfolded, since they operate by feel. The construction is relatively strong, but could be pried open by someone with a couple spare minutes and a thin pry-bar (all cheaper safes can be).
            http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...=cat20799&rid=
            "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
            -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

At that price range you can either get the lower end of the good ones, or the higher end of the more economic brands. I went with a SentrySafe from Home Depot. I know it's not the greatest brand, but it was a safe safe (not a cabinet with a combination) and it was only $400, fire-rated and thick gauge steel. The not being able to walk away with it is where the bolts come in, and you're supposed to bolt it down no matter how heavy it is anyways

Just remember this, a safe cracker will break into your $10,000 safe just as easy as he will into your $500-1,000 safe, these are all retail products meant for home use. You are really just trying to keep crackheads out of it, or make it so difficult that they run out of time, or give up.
              Last edited by yellowreef; 12-07-2009, 12:32 PM.
              "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

Watch this first

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXySHf9JSxc

This convinced me that buying ANY safe wasn't worth the $.

All I keep are my guns and ammo stuff, which is 100% replacable with my Home owners insurance, in a locked rubbermaid garage storage cabinet. The irreplacable (sp) I keep in my banks safe deposit box.

If a crook wants your stuff, I don't care (unless you spend HUGE $) what kind of "safe" you've got...they'll get it.

My method serves it's purpose, it keeps hands and eyes out of my stuff. Breaking into my "safe" would take just as long as a $1000 safe.

IMO, they look cool...that's about it.
                I shoot, therefore I am.

Comment

The best theft prevention is camouflage.

I have locked gun boxes with lead ingots in them. The guns are well, elsewhere.

Since the boxes are portable I suspect they will take them and run, and try and open them some place else.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
                  - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

http://forums.officer.com/forums/for...hp?f=23justify
                    Last edited by Nobody; 12-28-2009, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SCV-Sop View Post
                      The best theft prevention is camouflage.

I have locked gun boxes with lead ingots in them. The guns are well, elsewhere.

Since the boxes are portable I suspect they will take them and run, and try and open them some place else.
                      Awwwsome!!!!!!!!!!
                      I shoot, therefore I am.

Comment

I got a Patriot safe in the spring and have been very happy with it.

I looked at the Liberty safes at the local dealer but went with Patriot after calling them and getting a LEO deal. There is another thread in the firearms section with pictures if you do a search.

Comment

Originally posted by plinker View Post
                          Watch this first

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXySHf9JSxc

This convinced me that buying ANY safe wasn't worth the $.
                          Really? All the video illustrates is not to buy a cheap *** safe. The whole video is a sales pitch for a particular safe company, even though they don't actually mention the brand, they keep showing it. Also, if the safe is bolted down like it's supposed to, that guy wouldn't have been able to just lay his body weight on that long bar like he did. My solution to that method would be to bolt it in a location with no room on the left side, maybe up agaisnt the wall. But, like I said before, a safe will keep the crackheads out not the safecrackers.
                          "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

The safes you see for sale for $1000 are residential security cabinets. Bottom line is that nothing you buy will keep out a professional thief, a safe is better than no safe, and it might just keep out a crackhead. The safe shown in the video had three bolts all on one side, while you can get a safe with bolts on three sides in the same price range which would make them much more pry-resistant.

That said, an auger would punch a hole through most security cabinets. They're sheet metal over drywall. They'll protect you against fire and make your target less appealing than neighbors (much like flood lights and exposed doors and windows) without breaking the bank.

Anyone out there considering a $2500 safe though? Good God, don't buy it at Cabelas. Once you get above a couple grand, you can get into a real safe. Instead of a tenth of an inch of steel over drywall, you can get an inch of steel. Shop craigslist, skip the sporting goods safes, and look at the decommissioned business safes. Something like this TL30-rated safe will be the last safe you ever buy.
                            **Not a LEO**

Comment

+1 for the main point of that YouTube video.

Something a crusty old ironworker/gun owner once told me:
                              Some gun safes are truly excellent. Those tend to be VERY expensive.
                              Most gun safes are made to look pretty and look "secure" but are way over-priced for the amount of real protection you're getting against a competent "mechanic" with a couple proper tools. Plus they tend to actually attract a thief's attention. He will think there must be some real "goodies" in your "safe" and spend extra time trying to get it open or get it out of your house.

If you're on a budget and want comparable protection for a lot cheaper than a "gun safe", go to Home Depot and buy a construction site "job box". They've been using them for decades on open construction sites and the good ones with recessed padlock slots are actually very hard for thieves to defeat.
                              They are NOT heat/fire proof (despite claims, inexpensive gun safes really aren't either) but they are vented to prevent the overpressure "bomb" effect if you do have ammo in them in a fire. He said they will easily "contain" any loose ammo bursts, but probably not those from chambered high velocity rounds traveling down a barrel. ie=> a loaded rifle.
                              And if you're really worried about fire, the old-timer said you can make the thing just as fireproof as most gun safes by sticking a piece of ordinary sheetrock in the bottom and along the sides.

For a couple hundred bucks you've got the same setup as a $1000 to $2000 "safe".

Just some free advice from an old guy who knows a thing or two about guns and steel.
                              Its worth what you paid for it.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/2032-OS-...t/EN/index.htm
                              Last edited by cryhavoc; 12-08-2009, 11:37 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3494 users online. 244 members and 3250 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X