300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 question for the experts

Can a 1911 style pistol (Springfield Loaded, specifically) be dry fired with out damage, or do you need dummy rounds?

I know most revolvers can be dry fired at will with no issues. I also know that some of my autos (like my USP 45) specifically say not to dry fire on an empty chamber or risk firing pin damage.
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

While it is never good on a gun to dryfire on an empty chamber, pretty much any quality 1911, like your Springfield with a Titanium firing pin, should be just fine. I have to do it during competition when I clear my Springfield 1911 GI.

When all else fails, PM jwise. He, is the master. Call him Sensei.
    Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.

Comment

There is no risk. The firing pin will strike empty air. The pin itself will not make contact with anything (even along its full length without resistance from a primer), and the spring will return the pin to its static state.

Dry fire away.

1911 information is far more plentiful here:

http://forums.1911forum.com/index.php

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
      - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

No problemo.
        The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by Jere View Post
          When all else fails, PM jwise. He, is the master. Call him Sensei.
          I'm no master; please don't call me sensei...

Surf says 'no problemo', and I don't have any reason to disagree. Modern handguns are not bothered by extensive dry-firing, and neither is the 1911 (thank you, JMB!)

If you want, buy a few snap caps and use those when dry-firing.
          J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

If you ask enough, some will say it will cause damage. I don't believe it will.

I have bought snap caps for malfunction clearance not for dry firing.
            I trust my life with J. M. Browning's design, the 1911.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys. I bought this thing to use as a comp gun with my department pistol team. From prior year's experience shooting the same competitions with revolvers, I have found that dry fire can improve your scores immensly...
              Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
              --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

Nice pistol to start with. Springers can go a long way. Dummy rounds or not, dry fire should be a very big part of anyone's regular training.
                The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSheriff View Post
                  have found that dry fire can improve your scores immensly...
                  +1

I don't shoot much off hand, but dry fire off handed whenever I get a chance. The other night I figured I'd get a few off hand rounds off and I surprised myself that I actually got some sort of recognizable grouping.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
                  - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

While dry firing a 1911 (like most centerfire handguns) doesn't seem to cause any damage, I was surprised to hear from a 1911 instructor that repeatedly cycling the slide on unloaded pistols is strongly discouraged. Something about harming the engagement of the sear? He suggested that if this is done (with an unloaded 1911), the trigger should be depressed fully to avoid damage.
                    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Not "cycling" the slide, but dropping it on an empty chamber with no mag can damage it.

What happens is there is nothing to retard the speed of the slide and it causes the hammer to slam into the sear beating your trigger job into nothingness.

Always lower the slide with your hand. If you are doing reload drill, use a magazine of dummy rounds.

Dry firing will not damage a quality 1911 and should be encouraged. If you want to master any weapon you will spend several hours dry firing for every hour you spend on the range.

Why do you think my two year old knows what a rifle is and what it sounds like even though he has never been to a range.
                      "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                      8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10248 users online. 340 members and 9908 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X