Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which shotgun would you pick?

Hey all,

so i have decided on purchasing a new fire arm in the new year or sooner and have decided on two (very different types). its down to a,

S&W m&P 15-22: the ammo price and that it functions like a AR sold me on this, plus relatively cheap. I have been unable to find ANY in Canada and if i saw one would buy it tomorrow (if anyone has a good contact for S&W so i can ask when/where/if these are coming to Canada). Since i have almost accepted i wont be able to own one of those i have decided on going for a home defense/tactical training/ shooting paper shotgun

I use the Remington 870 Police Model at work so i would like to stick with Remington just for continuity of reps and such.

Now what is the main difference in the Police models and the "express" models. they make "tactical" versions of both but prices of the express are much lower. i know the police model is generally stronger and more durable due to the upgraded parts but do i need that for a non work shotgun?

Also i don't mind the desert recon model but other then the extended choke tube, speed feed stock and digi desert camo is it worth the extra $$

Soooo basically what i am asking is if you had a choice for this type of Shotgun what would you choose and why? thanks guys.

Now what is the main difference in the Police models and the "express" models. they make "tactical" versions of both but prices of the express are much lower. i know the police model is generally stronger and more durable due to the upgraded parts but do i need that for a non work shotgun?
    Use the search function:
    http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...mington+police

Also i don't mind the desert recon model but other then the extended choke tube, speed feed stock and digi desert camo is it worth the extra $$
    Really only you can answer that, don'tcha think?
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

good read on the PDF from Remington...thanks for that.

Comment

Sho' nuff.
        NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Based only on the models you described, I would personally go with the 870 Express Tactical. It has the best sights, a picatinny rail, and extended magazine tube. The only thing I would change would be going to a pistol grip stock instead of the American-style hunting stock.

I think that Remingtons in general have poor sights, and I would personally never buy one if I had the personal option of getting whatever I wanted. The 870 platform is great, but Wilson Combat's 870 shotguns with their customizable options (click here for Wilson Combat) are far superior to factory Remington.

In terms of shotguns, I'm an advocate of autos. More specifically, Benelli.
          In qualification and training shoots, everyone does at least one short-stroke on our Wilson Combat 870 Professional shotguns. This is frustrating and can be dangerous. When the stress is on, short-stroking is a serious problem. It takes an inordinate amount of practice to eliminate this problem. If you have shorter arms like I do, then it's a problem that really never goes away. It's because of this that I always use my Cold M4LE rifle and safe the shotty for killing deer hit by cars.
          With an auto, you will never short-stroke. Benelli has the market cornered for tactical auto shotguns. The M1, M2, M3 and M4 tactical shotguns are amazing. I own a Benelli M4, and it's never once malfunctioned on me. My Benelli Super Black Eagle has never failed in the field in the 10 years I've owned it and shot it. Just my opinion, though.
          Last edited by Reedo; 12-01-2009, 02:03 AM.
          "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
          -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

did benelli even make the super black ten years ago. i have a super 90 that was the top of their line until the introduction of the super black eagle and i got it new only about eight years ago or so.....i think.....but either way, for autos there is none better than benelli

Comment

i have never short stroked my work remington yet but i do worry about the missus... she is 5'1 at the best of days so i am worried if she will be able to fully work it. i had girls her size in my class and they had a great deal of trouble with 870...

And i will forsure switch the stock stock with a colapsable one (probably knox spec ops) and get some good sights for it.

I'm going to look into the Benelli now, you got me worried about my missus... haha

Comment

I suggest a Remington 870. It is very reliable, easy to clean and lots of accessories if you need to add or change parts such as the stock.

But if you can get your hands on a full auto shotgun like the one below, it will put a permanent smile on your face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wg1pFNwTOE

Comment

Originally posted by baycop72 View Post
                  I suggest a Remington 870. It is very reliable, easy to clean and lots of accessories if you need to add or change parts such as the stock.

But if you can get your hands on a full auto shotgun like the one below, it will put a permanent smile on your face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wg1pFNwTOE
                  hmmmm there are some areas in my patrol where that would come in handy...

Comment

Originally posted by Highwaystreets1 View Post
                    i have never short stroked my work remington yet but i do worry about the missus... she is 5'1 at the best of days so i am worried if she will be able to fully work it. i had girls her size in my class and they had a great deal of trouble with 870...

And i will forsure switch the stock stock with a colapsable one (probably knox spec ops) and get some good sights for it.

I'm going to look into the Benelli now, you got me worried about my missus... haha
                    If your looking into a Benelli Super series auto loader, you had better look into the M4 gas operated piston version. A smaller, not as strong, or petite female may have issues with the inertia driven Benelli's when it comes to the weapon cycling properly.
                    The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by Surf View Post
                      If your looking into a Benelli Super series auto loader, you had better look into the M4 gas operated piston version. A smaller, not as strong, or petite female may have issues with the inertia driven Benelli's when it comes to the weapon cycling properly.
                      i was just looking at the M4... it looks like a nice weapon... its a little bit pricey tho but i cannot say i don't want it.... but again its a PITA to find one in Canada... sometimes this country is a bit too much.

Comment

I hear ya, they don't come cheap. However, if your wife is not able to provide a stable platform for the inertia driven Supers to recoil against, you would not be wise to go that route for her. So if you want a reliable auto loading Benelli Super, than the M4 is the way to go.

Happy shooting!
                        The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

Originally posted by Ntraining View Post
                          did benelli even make the super black ten years ago. i have a super 90 that was the top of their line until the introduction of the super black eagle and i got it new only about eight years ago or so.....i think.....but either way, for autos there is none better than benelli
                          The SBE has been around since approx. the early 90's. It was the first shotgun to ever be able to chamber the 3 1/2".

Originally posted by Highwaystreets1 View Post

The Benelli takes some getting used to. Like any automatic, you need to learn how to operate it. Once you get it, it's point and click.
                          "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                          -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

yah as for Benelli i would go M4 or nothing, it has all the pieces i am looking for out of the box and as Surf said it may be more manageable for the little lady. If i can't find an M4 around here will most likely be going back to the 870.

And Surf as you well know its always happy shooting

wow so the Benelli M4 in Canada starts at 2200.00... Jesus i think at 1200.00 it would be overpriced but this is crazy... 870 it is unless anyone wants to donate to my M4 fund?? common i will even except a M4 over money
                            Last edited by Highwaystreets1; 12-01-2009, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Just to note the M4 has a different recoil pulse than the inertia driven Benelli's which is harsher, but no worse than say an 870, just morso than the inertia Benelli. But the reliability of chambering a round from a less than ideal or solid platform against which to recoil is not a problem.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3344 users online. 169 members and 3175 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X