Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would suggest you satisfy the boy in you, and buy a 1911! Keep carrying your XD, as you take the 1911 to the range and have a blast! Shoot it, shoot it, shoot it! Practice with it. Practice reloads. Practice drawing and firing. Practice first-round drills (switching the safety off and firing). Practice, practice, practice...

Once you become familiar with it, and can run it well, conduct a "challenge" with your XD. Get a buddy to run you through some drills with your XD, then do it again with the 1911. Hopefully you have access to a pact timer, or at least a buddy who can run a stopwatch decently.

Use the results of your 'test' to determine which pistol you should carry. (Hint: it is the one you shoot best with, the fastest!)
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Good advice!
      Sure, that badge will get you midgets, but those midgets will get that badge!

The more I learn about people, the more I prefer the company of my dogs.

Comment

When I qualified last, I shot my Glock 21 and my Les Baer. It was pretty funny. Being a new guy to the department, the range officer commented that it was a shame I was just a Reserve Deputy after scoring my Glock target.

Then I shot my LB! This time it was the guys around me who were shocked/amazed. I can't help it. The bullets just all go to the same place, like they are drawn by a magnet or something!
        J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

I take issue with posts that claim the 1911 requires more training than other weapon systems.

It requires competance and skill; as do Glocks, Sigs, S&W, Springfield and all weapons. We should all be experts with our tools of the trade. Do we require less training for people that carry a Glock? I should hope NOT! In fact, a few years ago if you wanted to carry a Glock in my agency it required you to complete MORE training becuase there is no manually operated external safety device. That's back when we issued the HK P-7 M13.

I went through the academy with a 1911 and did not need anything extra the other cadets didn't accomplish. I think they're simpler to tell the truth.
          I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

"More Training" probably does not conjure the correct mental impression.

More Dedication, would probably be a better concept.

If you neglect your skills or the machine, the 1911 will bite you in the ***. A Glock or XD will let you get away with it. 1911's can be more magazine and ammo sensitive than the polymer wonder pistols.

1911's also suffer from two serious problems. One is the "racegun" Syndrome. This is where the user feels the need to throw the entire Brownells catalog at the weapon without realizing that many of the "drop in" parts actually need to be hand fitted to the weapon. The second is the "cheap cop" syndrome, where a guy expects to drop $500 on a dead reliable 1911. It just ain't going to happen.

We are all fond of the concept that you MUST train with any weapon you are going to use to defend your life. Reality is that many guys won't. Training or competing usually kicks your ego in the balls (at least if you are pushing yourself). Alpha Males don't like that.

I carry a Colt Commander off duty. I lucked out because it's a dead reliable, accurate, box-stock gun.

If you want to carry a 1911, put in the range and dry fire time. Once you get to "autopilot" mode with it. Carry it.

DO NOT buy a cheap 1911 and drop it in the holster because it looks cool. If you want one of THOSE reality checks, go to a local IDPA or IPSC match and see how many 1911's you see choke.

Here is mine:
            Last edited by Blackdog F4i; 12-16-2009, 10:39 AM.
            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
            8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Simple guns are for stupid, lazy people, and 1911's are for sophisticates who eagerly invest time into training.

There I said it.
              The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by Surf View Post
                Simple guns are for stupid, lazy people, and 1911's are for sophisticates who eagerly invest time into training.

There I said it.

J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

There I said it.
                  Well; The lid is all the way of that can of worms... Not that I disagree...
                  I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
                    The second is the "cheap cop" syndrome,
                    I wasn't gonna go there, but you did!
                    - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Glocks are solid, trustworthy weapons that nearly anyone can be tought to wield effectively. They are nearly "cop proof"; indestructable and operate in all conditions even when dirty. You do not need to be a "gun guy" to operate one pretty well.

That being said... I strap on one of my 1911s every morning. Its not because of the plastic phobia; I stay qualed on an XD45 too. I just can't get comfortable firing a glock.

Oh, and I really like a thumb safety. To each his own.
                      Last edited by KenW.; 12-17-2009, 11:48 PM.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Ken, I prefer the XD over the Glock, too. It's just the way the XD sits in my hand versus the Glock. I've got nothing against Glock. They are fine weapons. The XD just feels like an extension of my arm, though.

Comment

The glock grip angle works for many, but not we who are accustomed o the 1911. Reminds me of a dustbuster.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Maybe that's what it is. After years of using the 1911, the XD is the best fit. The angle of the grip, the length, the narrower backstrap...

Comment

Originally posted by KenW. View Post
                              ........are solid, trustworthy weapons that nearly anyone can be tought to wield effectively. They are nearly "cop proof"; indestructable and operate in all conditions even when dirty. You do not need to be a "gun guy" to operate one pretty well.
                              Deja Vu! I remember hearing the same thing about S&W "K-frame" .38 Special revolvers 30+ years ago. The more things change, the more they stay the same! Then (as now) it was also a good "reason" (excuse) to cut back on training time and to go with the lowest bid for duty weapons.
                              "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9098 users online. 283 members and 8815 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X