Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1911 or XD for duty?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    .

    Being able to shoot your pistol accurately and confidently is the most important for a cop.




    Since you can that that with both your XD and 1911, I'd take the one that holds 13 + 1 round of .45.




    And I love my 1911's.



    .

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Reedo View Post
      It's my opinion that a GI Mil Spec 1911 is not adequate for duty usage. The sights are impractical. The trigger, hammer and components are not all that smooth (comparatively). The finish also leaves some to be desired.
      If you want a 1911 for duty usage, you should seriously think about going to an upgraded model that has tritium night sights, ambidextrous safety, and match grade components that are not only more accurate, but tend to be more reliable.

      Springfield's Loaded, Operator and TRP lines of 1911s are far better suited for duty usage. Also consider Kimber's Tactical II series, Eclipse II, Raptor II or even better, the SIS series (which the LAPD SIS carries).

      what he said, id never carry a stock Mil Spec on duty..not that its not a good gun but its also not a DUTY handgun..

      the bare minimum id carry would be something along the lines of say the Colt Gold Cup or equivalent.

      i know im not the only one who will say the best carry 1911 is the one that is reliable and is as close to being factory as possible, IE, factory custom, not some halfbreed race gun dumbed down for carry use.

      Jwise has a super sweet LB thunder ranch, which is about as good as it gets as far as a badass factory gun goes..

      gold cup colt, kimber, etc..no mil spec unless you wanna spend a ton more on smith work to make it "i trust my life" reliable.
      In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Mstangfk View Post
        i know im not the only one who will say the best carry 1911 is the one that is reliable and is as close to being factory as possible, IE, factory custom, not some halfbreed race gun dumbed down for carry use.

        Jwise has a super sweet LB thunder ranch, which is about as good as it gets as far as a badass factory gun goes..

        gold cup colt, kimber, etc..no mil spec unless you wanna spend a ton more on smith work to make it "i trust my life" reliable.
        Originally posted by SCV-Sop View Post
        Yes, his "Colt", but will your XD out shoot a Springfield Loaded 1911 model?

        1911 is an unprotected design. There are lots of good and bad out there. Lots of different parts with different tolerances mixed in with different frames and slides which can make quite interesting platforms in regard to reliability and accuracy.
        I think it's important to note that using a custom 1911 that was not factory-built is a possible legal liability. The Sheriff's Office in our county allows their deputies to carry almost anything they want, as long as it's on an approved list of firearms. They are not allowed to carry custom-built guns; all guns must be factory-built. If there is any work done on the guns, it must be done by a certified gunsmith with documentation to back it up (or such is my understanding). It's just for civil liability reasons to take away one more thing that an ambulance chaser attorney can argue about (however moot of an argument it may be). So, long story short, always check with your department's policy first.
        "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
        -John Adams


        Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Reedo View Post
          I think it's important to note that using a custom 1911 that was not factory-built is a possible legal liability. The Sheriff's Office in our county allows their deputies to carry almost anything they want, as long as it's on an approved list of firearms. They are not allowed to carry custom-built guns; all guns must be factory-built. If there is any work done on the guns, it must be done by a certified gunsmith with documentation to back it up (or such is my understanding). It's just for civil liability reasons to take away one more thing that an ambulance chaser attorney can argue about (however moot of an argument it may be). So, long story short, always check with your department's policy first.
          i thought about that myself i know agencies that have in their firearms policy:

          1. minimum of 5 yrs before you can carry a 1911.

          2. only Kimber, Colt, Les Baer, Springfield or Para Ordnance etc

          3. must have a complete list of all parts turned into rangemaster/armorer for approval before carrying on duty, as well have showed proficiency in operation and qualification.


          does it make sense? no, but its just one more thing a attorney can try and use against you in a OIS or trial.
          In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

          Comment


          • #20
            I can understand that. What a horrible experience trying to get a box-stock Colt Commander to work reliably (and fruitlessly spending more than it's purchase price at a local smith who was on the Guns & Ammo list of 100 top smiths). In the end I was out a ton of cash and had a hunk of metal that no one would willingly trust their life to.

            I personally don't care for the feel of a thick-grip like the Para or the SIG (of which I've had both). Reliable but like holding a tree trunk.

            In the end it's a combination of preference, what's authorized by the Agency, and what goes bang the right way every time you pull the trigger.

            If faced with such choices and I could meet any time-in-service requirements, it'd be a Kimber, Les Baer or upper echelon Springfield (depending on what my salary would allow me to afford). Based on personal experience, one of the box-stock Kimbers would be both affordable and reliable (without the expense of a trip through their custom shop).

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Bounce View Post

              In the end it's a combination of preference, what's authorized by the Agency, and what goes bang the right way every time you pull the trigger.

              If faced with such choices and I could meet any time-in-service requirements, it'd be a Kimber, Les Baer or upper echelon Springfield (depending on what my salary would allow me to afford). Based on personal experience, one of the box-stock Kimbers would be both affordable and reliable (without the expense of a trip through their custom shop).
              i plan on either gettign the Kimber Custom TLE/RL II, or the Colt Special Combat Government, of course there are others like the Springfield TRP.

              but hey lets get back to the question/subject at hand, you really dont want to carry a stock Mil-Spec on duty, if you want one fine, hey cool guns its just not a duty weapon.
              In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Mstangfk View Post
                i plan on either gettign the Kimber Custom TLE/RL II, or the Colt Special Combat Government, of course there are others like the Springfield TRP.
                Even sans rail, Kimbers are effin' sweet.



                Get a good 1911. The extra weight is good for when you need to pistol whip someone.

                Carry on.
                NRA Life Member

                The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

                Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
                  Get a good 1911. The extra weight is good for when you need to pistol whip someone.
                  THAT'S going in my sig file randomizer!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    If you are thinking about a 1911, you have to think about training time. A 1911 is not a gun you can qualify with twice a year and leave it in the holster for the rest of its life. You have to shoot it, you have to clean it, you have to tune it...

                    As far as a glock or a sig being safer than a 1911? Fat chance..a cocked and locked (condition one) 1911 is one of the safest guns on the planet. and with the proper training, one of the easiest and most accurate to shoot.

                    That being said, 1911s are not cheap. A good one will run you 800-1000 dollars. I do not agree with the $2000 minimum that some have set, as i have shot many a 1911 that were excellent quality and totally reliable for well under that price. But spend the money to buy a quality gun. Do your reserch. There are many brands that are lower budget, but still excellent quality and very reliable.

                    I currently own a Rock Island tacticle model fullsize. The initial price of the gun was $400.00 new in the box. I spent about 20 hours detailing the internals and the gun now out-performs many kimber/springfield guns Ihave shot and I have no problem trusting my life to it. I KNOW it wil work when I need it to. I would not, however, recommend this for a novice pistoleer, as i have spent any hours in the shop and on the range to make sure the gun was reliable (not to mnetion about 5,000 rounds of ammo before I would consider it worthy.

                    Now, some will say the 1911 is inferior, because it uses a single stack mag. I personally have smaller hands, and shooting a glock or an XD is not comfortable for me. When I carry my glock for duty use i carry a load out of 46 rounds of .40 S&W. with the 1911, I carry 41 rounds of .45 ACP. I dont see the issue. it takes less than a second to do a reload. just carry more mags.

                    ok..off my soapbox now...have fun and thanks for listening to me rant.
                    amateurs practice till they get it right...professionals practice until we cant get it wrong.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I personally love 1911's dont have one but have shot many. However when it comes to a duty weapon probably close to the end of my list. The reason for this is the Mag Capacity. I know you shouldnt ever have to go through the all the rounds in the 3 Mags but I would personally rather have too many bullets compared to not enough. But totally up to you.
                      The most important things in life are worth fighting for.

                      <--------- RAAAAAR!!!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I carried the 1911 for six years as a medic in the US Army. It was a dependable weapon and I was quite fond of it. In fact, I was pizzed beyond belief when Uncle Sam, in all of his infinite wisdom, phased out the 1911 in favor of the Beretta 9mm.

                        That said, I far prefer the XD for a duty weapon. The double-stack high-capacity magazines are one of my primary reasons.
                        Sure, that badge will get you midgets, but those midgets will get that badge!

                        The more I learn about people, the more I prefer the company of my dogs.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Went to the range with my SiL this weekend to help him break in his new Ruger P95 <wink>.

                          My memory must be failing me as I sure don't remember double-stack mags being THAT hard to load. WOW!

                          Makes me appreciate my Chip McCormick single-stack .45 mags even more.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            For concealed carry, I have a Bersa .45 that's single stack. I love the way it sits in my hand. Marvelous weapon...

                            (Why is your SiL having such a hard time loading double-stack magazines?)
                            Sure, that badge will get you midgets, but those midgets will get that badge!

                            The more I learn about people, the more I prefer the company of my dogs.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by whiplash5198 View Post
                              .Anyone care to comment? Or to give me some "ammo" to make the switch???
                              My take is: These are apples and oranges guns here. Unless you are able/willing to put in the training and practice time to change platforms, I would stick to the XD. Not knowing your training/background, I agree with Hilton Yam, who knows more about the 1911 then a handful of people on the planet:

                              "For a dedicated and knowledgeable end user, the 1911 has no equal. For non-dedicated personnel, they are better served by a modern, low maintenance weapon such as a Glock, SIG, or HK."

                              I would add to that - as he wrote that before either existed - the XD and MnP.

                              Going back and forth between two different platforms, without the skill sets to do it under pressure, can get you killed, and we don't want that!
                              - Will

                              Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

                              www.OptimalSWAT.com

                              General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

                              www.BrinkZone.com

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by BCSD Frank View Post
                                For concealed carry, I have a Bersa .45 that's single stack. I love the way it sits in my hand. Marvelous weapon...

                                (Why is your SiL having such a hard time loading double-stack magazines?)
                                the follower and spring were danged hard to compress. i thought it was just techique until i gave it a try. 3 rounds later, i gave it back to him to "limber up". sheesh!

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 9777 users online. 501 members and 9276 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X