Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning after corrosive ammo

Hello gents,

I just picked up my first surplus rifle, Mosin M38 (pics down below), and I was wondering what techniques you guys use to get the corrosive salts out of and off your firearm. I've heard of and read of many different ways to do it, but I was wondering if I could get your opinions on which method you prefer. Any tips on maintenance and care would be appreciated as well. Thanks again.

Jak77
    Last edited by jak77; 11-07-2009, 10:51 PM. Reason: added pictures
    "You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."

Windex will neutralize it and is a lot easier to deal with than boiling water (the other recommended solution). Before I clean the barrel I just get a patch sopping with windex and run it down the barrel, and use a lightly windex-dusted paper towel to wipe the receiver and end of the barrel and other pieces that may have received gunshot residue. Then I clean as normal with CLP and regrease.

Seems to work well.
    **Not a LEO**

Comment

I've yet to clean my M91 Mosin Nagant!

Comment

I own a 91\30 and use warm water with a little dishwashing soap in a plastic spray bottle immediately after shooting. Just remove the bolt and spray directly down the barrel and all in the receiver. A few hrs go by before I can clean it then I use the traditional cleaning methods. The warm water/soap neutralizes the salts from the primers preventing rust. It's been working fine for me the last year.

Comment

Thanks for the info. ive also heard that ammonia/water solution works pretty well, anyone use this method?
          "You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."

Comment

The cleaning suggestions reminds me of when I shot black powder.
            sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

I use the cheap generic windex from walmart. Pull the bolt, spray down barrel till it runs out. Let sit a few minutes, then dry patch until it's dry, two or three patches, then pull through a bore snake with a little clp on it. If I have copper fouling, I use butche's bore shine.

Comment

Originally posted by jak77 View Post
                Thanks for the info. ive also heard that ammonia/water solution works pretty well, anyone use this method?
                I do...I use windex which is basically the same thing
                Chris

XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Comment

I've been using ammonia and bleach lately; it's a cleaning trend with great potential to explode into the mainstream!

Disclaimer: Please don't try this at home if you don't know what mixing ammonia and bleach will accomplish.

Comment

Heres a pic or the M38 for y'all to admire, I think she's a beaut. I dont have a fancy camera and I think she looks much better in person.

she's beautiful as well...(had to throw her in, took both pics at the same time)

enjoy,
                    Jak77

Comment

I had a GSD for three years. Favorite dog ever.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5154 users online. 283 members and 4871 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X