300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Para has a Double Action 1911, but what about a holster

It occurred to me duty holsters for 1911’s all secure them with it cocked and locked.

While a Para DA would fit in my Safariland with the hammer back, this defeats the policy of a DA carry.

Question:

Are there any modern duty holsters out there for 1911’s that would secure the firearm as designed with the hammer down and ready for a DA trigger pull?

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
    - Cornelius Tacitus

I used to carry a LDA 14-45 and had Hoffner Holsters make me a duty holster for it. It has a thick kydex body lined with suede, a leather belt loop, and a thumb snap. You can adjust the tension of the holster body on the gun so I guess that makes it a level two.

I don't carry that gun anymore, maybe this will work for you. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Comment

Thanks. I have two level 2 1911 holsters and was wanting to avoid getting another

In actually looking at the Para it looked like the hammer is recessed so I'm of the opinion my original concern is moot in regard to getting the holster strap back and over a lowered hammer.

My line of thinking on this was if my academy certificate expires and I need to take the recertification course I need a double action pistol per the academy policy. It gives me a reason to get another 1911.

I have two years left before expiration of my certificate, but some agencies have stronger policies and only allow 1 or 2 years of inactivity, and I’m approaching 1 year in a few months.

The down side I think is if I got a Para the only government sized frame Para sells comes with adjustable target sights, so I would want to swap those out.

- Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

I have the Para P-16, usd the Safariland 6280 for a Springfield Operator, I just cut off the small piece of plastic on the inside of teh hood to allow for the roll top to clear the hammer. Worked just fine.
        I trust my life with J. M. Browning's design, the 1911.

Comment

Originally posted by KS1911 Five O View Post
          I have the Para P-16, usd the Safariland 6280 for a Springfield Operator, I just cut off the small piece of plastic on the inside of teh hood to allow for the roll top to clear the hammer. Worked just fine.
          Ditto, did the same thing with a P229 DA/SA Holster is made for the duty weapon P229 DAO. Cut the little plastic on the hood of the Safariland, worked like a champ.

Comment

Why wouldn't any holster for a standard 1911 not work with a Para LDA? All LDA hammers are flush with the slide. Any top strap on a holster you have for a 1911 that fits cocked and locked will fit the LDA. I can't imagine for the life of me why this would pose a problem for level 3 holsters.
            Last edited by cclawdog; 11-04-2009, 09:00 PM.
            One Shot, One Kill. Anything else is just pu(ff)y!

Comment

Yep, I just starting noticing that when I looked at them closer. So it looks like I would be good to go.

- Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

Originally posted by cclawdog View Post
                Why wouldn't any holster for a standard 1911 not work with a Para LDA? All LDA hammers are flush with the slide. Any top strap on a holster you have for a 1911 that fits cocked and locked will fit the LDA. I can't imagine for the life of me why this would pose a problem for level 3 holsters.
                The older full size LDA's like the one I had had spurred hammers. I don't know why since you couldn't cock it.

Comment

Ahhh that clears it up. So what preventing u from grinding off the spur? Since the new ones have spurless hammers and look like they are the same thickness as a spurred hammer after grindiing I don't think it would be much of a problem grinding down. Question is do you grind it while still on the gun or not. I would and only to where I can fit the top strap of holster over it. Just my opinion.
                  One Shot, One Kill. Anything else is just pu(ff)y!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5200 users online. 289 members and 4911 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X