300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colt .22 Tactical Rimfire vs. M&P 15-22

I think one of these two will be the next addition to my personal collection. Does anyone have any experience with either one of these two .22s? If not are there any prevailing opinions being developed on which is the preferred model to purchase?

Colt .22 Tactical Rimfire
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." - Teddy Roosevelt

Disclaimer: The opinions I express here are mine and mine alone. They are not intended to reflect the positions/opinions of any other known person(s) or organization(s).

M&P 15-22
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." - Teddy Roosevelt

Disclaimer: The opinions I express here are mine and mine alone. They are not intended to reflect the positions/opinions of any other known person(s) or organization(s).

Comment

Also there is a M4 Carbine .22 that would more closely mimic the LE6920.

Colt M4 Carbine .22

Comment

I haven't played with the M&P.

One thing I didn't like about the Colt, was that there is no bolt hold open. This is true with the Ciener kit in a standard AR as well. I was really hoping that a dedicated .22lr rifle (not just a kit, and not just an upper) would have fixed this issue, so that training would be more realistic.

If the M&P has fixed this, and the BHO works properly, then I would choose it.

The "Colt" isn't really a Colt, so don't pick based on brand perception.
        J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Both are what I'd describe as "pot metal guns", you'd be better off getting a dedicated spikes .22 upper for an AR-15.

Comment

Interesting vid comparing the both that I saw the other day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXm3RUvVhpU
            -"He detested failure more than anything else, even betrayal. Betrayal required intelligence and ruthlessness, failure only stupidity or lack of concentration."
            -Daniel Silva

Comment

Originally posted by caseypj View Post
              Both are what I'd describe as "pot metal guns", you'd be better off getting a dedicated spikes .22 upper for an AR-15.
              Really? It's my understanding that the S&W is a polymer gun.

Comment

Originally posted by jwise View Post
                I haven't played with the M&P.

One thing I didn't like about the Colt, was that there is no bolt hold open. This is true with the Ciener kit in a standard AR as well. I was really hoping that a dedicated .22lr rifle (not just a kit, and not just an upper) would have fixed this issue, so that training would be more realistic.

If the M&P has fixed this, and the BHO works properly, then I would choose it.

The "Colt" isn't really a Colt, so don't pick based on brand perception.

I haven't handle either of them so far. I thought I'd like the Colt due to it alloy construction, however I find the fact that the beaver-tail is only for looks to be a major negative. Without it you miss out doing AR style reloading. From what I've read over the last 24 hours I'm leaning heavily towards the M&P. Besides since last November I've given Colt more then my fair share of business. I guess if I want to spread the wealth I should throw some business Smith & Wesson's way.
                Last edited by 7th District; 10-30-2009, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Get whichever is cheapest. They are plinkers. I hear folks talk poop about my cruddy Marlin 60 but it still drops squirrels like a champ.

The M&P flips my skirt. I am hunting for one locally.
                  Make the world a better place....punch a hippie in the face.

Be polite to everyone but be ready to kill them at a moments notice.

Former 11B3P, airborne!

Comment

I looked at both and ended up with a CMMG dedicated .22 AR. I liked it best as it was built on a standard AR lower and upper with a dedicated bolt and barrel. According to CMMG, I could switch the barrel for a .223, add the correct BCG, and have a functioning rifle.

It has a bolt hold open to alert you that you are empty, but the bolt closes as a soon as the mag is released. So far it has proven to be an effective trainer.

Price wise, it was between a S&W and a Colt.

Comment

how much is the colt going for?? or the M&P for that matter, seen it up here for around 550 CAN... so i assume they are a lot cheaper in the US

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5787 users online. 307 members and 5480 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X