Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burris XTR-14

Hey everyone,

I've seen a lot of ARs that have this scope mounted on them. Can you please school me on the benifits of this scope? What are the advantages of having a scope like this mounted on your rifle? What situations would this be advantageous for? I am assuming its used for ranges a little further than a red dot but closer in than a traditional scope. What would your prefered rifle length be if you were going to mount the XTR-14 on it? This is purely for educational purposes as I really have no knowledge in this area. I have also seen ARs mounted with accupoints which look to be pretty similar to the Burris. Is there anything else, or other system, you would mount over the Burris? I know theres a lot of questions in this post, but any input appreciated. Thanks.

Jak77
    "You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."

The above two rifles are perfect for this type of scope. The scope is what is referred to as a "low magnification scope", and is usually in the 1-4X range. The best of the breed are "true 1X" scopes, as opposed to 1.25-5X or something like that.

The scope's 4X setting is either for making shots at 100+ yds, or is used for target identification.

The scope should have an illuminated reticle, and should be "daylight visible." Some of these scopes do not have illumination that is bright enough to be seen in the daylight, and is only useful for low-light shooting.

The greatness of this type of scope is that it can be just as fast as a 1X red dot optic (Aimpoint, etc..), but is ALSO just as good as a 4X ACOG with the turn of a knob.

On patrol, you never know if you're going to be pulling long-gun duty on a felony stop, or perimeter watch on a barricaded person. The low-magnification scope is the best of both worlds.

The top players are:

Schmidt & Bender (S&B) Short Dot: ~$2200
    US Optics SN4: $1200
    Meopta K-Dot (that's what I have pictured above): $800
    Burris XTR: $650
    Millet DMS-1: $215
    Last edited by jwise; 10-28-2009, 11:51 PM.
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Jwise,

Would you include the Acupoint TR24 in your list? This seems like a scope that would fit this category as well.

Comment

Once my budget recovers from the AR10 hit it's taking I will more than likely be giving a 1-4x a try. I would like to go with a USO, but the Burris is closer to my budget.

The other advantage of the LaRue mount is that I can leave my M2 in it's mount in the bag with the rifle and the 1-4x ON the rifle. If I have to make an entry I can quickly swap the Aimpoint back on the gun while I am gearing up.

While the "true 1x" are great, I still don't think they can match the speed of the Aimpoint or EOtech, but I will have to do some head to head tests to see.
        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
        8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Sweet! As always, jwise and blackdog, you are ALWAYS and source of invaluable information. Thank you. Those are some sweet looking sticks you got there jwise. What do you have engraved on the magwell of the middy? Look cool. Thanks again for the info.
          "You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."

Comment

They bridge the gap between CQB and long range and take care of the in between stuff.. While they don't do close up or long range the best, they are a good mid-range choice. Personally I would prefer a 2.5 to 10 or so variable as this would not be my choice for CQB stuff. While in LE, I don't think I would have a situation where more than 4X would be needed as far as hits out to our usual distance, but for observation, I would like more power.

And no they are not as fast as a red dot, even for a real 1x. Even without parallax, you still have a tube to deal with, which means you need a more consistent cheek weld, which can slow you down a bit in a hasty or improvised position.
            The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

That is why I don't see my Aimpoint going anywhere.

Right now I have a big nasty snap on my helmet between my cheek and the stock. I also have to keep the weapon usable when I don my gas mask.

What truly intrigues me about it is that there are situations where my M4 is a better choice than the bolt gun. A 1-4x dot sight or a low-medium magnification Accupoint would allow me close range speed and medium to long range precision. I really do like the look of the Accupoint's that are BAC capable. I would just like to try one, run and gun style before I drop the cash on it. I even considered it for the AR10, but the reticles Trijicon offers on the BAC models are not conductive to holds for range and wind. The AR10 still needs to be long range capable.
              "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
              8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

The 1-4X with a true 1X setting is not as VERSATILE or as USER FRIENDLY as an Aimpoint/EOTech, but once you learn it, and train with it, you can get VERY fast with it. In fact, I'd say you can get JUST as fast with it as you can with an Aimpoint.

Now, hand the rifle off to a shooter who is accustomed to the Aimpoint, and ask him to perform "cold" with the 1-4X optic and he will choke. He will be slower, and not able to get his first rounds off as fast.

In addition, if you are shooting with a gas mask, or shooting from a greatly improvised position, the Aimpoint will be more versatile, as you do not have to have a proper cheek weld to use the reticle (dot).

Blackdog- I think you would be pleasantly surprised at how well they work if you could run one of the quality units for a bit. After playing with all of the various models in my budget (not the S&B), the Meopta K-Dot was the one for me.
                J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

I'm running the Trijicon 1-4 on my patrol rifle and it is a pretty versatile optic. It has a huge sweet spot. I can mount my head as far back as I can on the gun and still have a full field of view on 1X. From odd positions it has not been a problem with the eye relief--it is very forgiving.

It was nice to have on an alarm call one night. We had a shop motion sensor sounding at a garage. From distance I could scan the glass for signs of breakage before approaching. When I started moving, dropped it back down to 1X, and finished clearing.

Tonight was the first mid shift I have worked since switching to it and it is amazing how bright the fiber optics are in moonlight.

I let my wife shoot my rifle this weekend and she did very well with it from a standing un supported position at 50 yards and when I commented on how well she shot, she replied how could she not hit with that scope on it.

They aren't cheap, but if you get a chance give them a look.

I tried the Meopta first and it worked as advertised but I found I liked the Trijicon better as it was smaller and lighter. I also found that it was brighter in bright sunlight, I liked that it did not use batteries, and I can pick up the triangle much much faster from my support side than I could the reticle of the Meopta. The Trijicon also seemed more forgiving of head placement.

Comment

If you buy the P.E.P.R. mount, the top half of the rings are picatinny mounts so you can mount a holographic dot sight there like a fastfire or such and have the speed and ability to get on target while wearing a gas mask/helmet.
                    As a matetr of fact, you can buy the unit from Midway with the mount and the fastfire all in one package.

Comment

anyone use or have any experience with the millet dms-1? I want a 1-4x but dont have that big of a budget.

Comment

Originally posted by rauchman View Post
                        Jwise,

Would you include the Acupoint TR24 in your list? This seems like a scope that would fit this category as well.
                        The AccuPoint TR-24 is a perfect example. If you get it with one of the triangle reticles, it's just like a reflex sight on 1x setting (it's a true 1x). I have been salivating over this scope for a long time, but have nothing to put it on, so I haven't bought it yet.
                        "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                        -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

Originally posted by rauchman View Post
                          Jwise,

My list was not exhaustive, but in fact listed only those which were most popular.

I tried to give an example of a 1-4X optic in each major price point. The true 1X Trijicon was not out at the time I first wrote that, only the 1.25-5X. The TR24 is in the same price point as the Meopta K-Dot, going for somewhere between $700-800.
                          J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6210 users online. 347 members and 5863 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X