X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9mm 1 Shot Stops

We are working on 2 cases where a 9mm resulted in a "1 shot stop."

Case 1:
    Suspect 1 (gunner) and suspect 2 (unarmed) try to rob someone. Victim refuses to hand over his wallet, fights with the suspects for a few seconds, and tries to run away. Suspect 1 fires a round at the fleeing victim. The round hits the street, ricochets, and strikes the victim in the back of the neck. Victim drops dead.

Gun was a Hi-Point 9mm with some Winchester 115g JHP.

Case 2:
    Two officers respond to a domestic altercation. As they are walking up the sidewalk to the residence, the suspect opens the front door, walks out with a knife in his hand, and tells the officers "I ain't going back to prison," and runs at the officers. One of the officers draws his sidearm, fires 1 round striking the suspect in the chest, resulting in the suspect dropping to the ground. Suspect bleeds out and dies within seconds.

Gun was a Springfield XD 9mm with Speer Gold Dot 124g +P JHP.

Just thought I'd throw this out there to illustrate shot placement > caliber.
    Shot placement > caliber. Using a .45ACP means nothing if you can't hit your target. Practice, train, and do it all over again...and again...and again.

Originally posted by CSIBPD View Post
    The round hits the street, ricochets, and strikes the victim in the back of the neck. Victim drops dead.
    Dang, that's some bad luck with the ricochet.

Comment

Yes it was bad luck. Very, very bad luck.

There's another, older case where threee officers were in a gunfight with a suspect. Two officers had GLOCK 21s, the third (and much older) had the old city issued .38 Spl. The GLOCK users got some hits on the suspect but nothing lethal. The .38 shooter got a lucky shot off which hit the suspect in the heart, killing him.

I am not anti-45 ACP by any means. I think it is a great round, as are the .40 and 9mm. I am a big advocate of training with what you are comfortable with, and making sure you can hit the target. There are too many people that run out and buy such & such because John Doe said it was the best.

What works for one may suck for someone else.
      Shot placement > caliber. Using a .45ACP means nothing if you can't hit your target. Practice, train, and do it all over again...and again...and again.

Comment

One reason why we are carrying Glock 21's is because the 9's just weren't doing it for us. One example: My pursuit, high speed, through yards, on the street, back through yards. At one point driver came at officer who was outside his car. One shot in windshield (which could have ended it if shot placement was better) and two in the door (which didn't even penetrate interior) and one through back window (which went in, through drivers seat and into driver.) Driver continued until crashed. When we yanked him out of the car the bullet was located under the skin underneath left nipple (rode rib cage around.)

Comment

Originally posted by Wade95 View Post
          One reason why we are carrying Glock 21's is because the 9's just weren't doing it for us.
          I carry a 9mm occasionally (usually .45), but thankfully as a non-LEO with a ccw odds are pretty slim that I'd be shooting through barriers other than clothing. It sounds like just about any caliber (especially a HP) could have a rough time still if it had to pass throgh a window and a seat before it hit flesh.

Comment

That would be my thought. It's not the fact that it was a 9mm, but that it was probably a JHP round which, regardless of caliber, will have a tougher time penetrating windshields or car doors b/c of their expansion on impact.

Keep in mind that a .45 is a SLOWER moving bullet whereas a 9mm is a FASTER moving bullet. We have scenarios where the slower .45 deflected off a windshield but the 9mm punched through, due to the difference in velocity.

You never know what a bullet will do in flight.

Comment

I only carry a 9 as a back up.
              I read your sig and while I've heard that phrase a thousand times its meaningless.
              Most handgun rounds are easy enough to learn how to shoot. Shooting fundamentals are the same for any gun. I've never met someone who shot a 9 really well and then sucked with a 45.
              Assuming you are skilled at shooting a firearm the larger caliber will have a greater stopping effect.

Between the top 3 I would chose the .40 because its a nice blend between the two, .45 and 9mm.

Shot placement is always key but in a tactical environment where every thing is moving its not that easy.
              You could shoot someone with a high power pellet gun and stop them with a lucky shot to the spinal cord. That's not the norm.
              Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

A .22 rimfire will produce one-shot stops with perfect shot placement.

Not being perfect, I choose the larger .45 round because; it is my belief that like water through a hole in a bucket, life energy leaks more quickly through larger holes.
                I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Originally posted by CSIBPD View Post
                  We are working on 2 cases where a 9mm resulted in a "1 shot stop."

Case 1:
                  Suspect 1 (gunner) and suspect 2 (unarmed) try to rob someone. Victim refuses to hand over his wallet, fights with the suspects for a few seconds, and tries to run away. Suspect 1 fires a round at the fleeing victim. The round hits the street, ricochets, and strikes the victim in the back of the neck. Victim drops dead.

Gun was a Hi-Point 9mm with some Winchester 115g JHP.

Case 2:
                  Two officers respond to a domestic altercation. As they are walking up the sidewalk to the residence, the suspect opens the front door, walks out with a knife in his hand, and tells the officers "I ain't going back to prison," and runs at the officers. One of the officers draws his sidearm, fires 1 round striking the suspect in the chest, resulting in the suspect dropping to the ground. Suspect bleeds out and dies within seconds.

Gun was a Springfield XD 9mm with Speer Gold Dot 124g +P JHP.

Just thought I'd throw this out there to illustrate shot placement > caliber.
                  Sorry but IMO, these are not necessarily good examples of shot placement. One was a lucky ricochet, not great shot placement. As for the second scenario, while it may have worked in that instance, it may not have worked on a determined assailant. If within knife attack distance even with an exploded heart a perp can still deliver a lethal attack with a knife, even though he may be a dead man walking. But it is good to hear that the good guys won.

Originally posted by KenW. View Post

Not being perfect, I choose the larger .45 round because; it is my belief that like water through a hole in a bucket, life energy leaks more quickly through larger holes.
                  ^^ This.

All things being equal with shot placement, if I get a less than perfect shot, I prefer there to be a bigger hole.

Also did I miss some discussion about shot placement being critical? FWIW - One of my best friends was killed on duty with a .22 to the heart. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anyone here arguing shot placement v. caliber.
                  The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Shot placement is key. However if I am going to deliver a dose of copper covered lead to a particular location on the suspects anatomy, I would prefer that it be as large as possible so as to leave the biggest cavity to allow bodily fluids to escape from. Barring that, a high power rifle will do just fine.
                    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                    8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Originally posted by Surf View Post
                      Sorry but IMO, these are not necessarily good examples of shot placement. One was a lucky ricochet, not great shot placement. As for the second scenario, while it may have worked in that instance, it may not have worked on a determined assailant. If within knife attack distance even with an exploded heart a perp can still deliver a lethal attack with a knife, even though he may be a dead man walking. But it is good to hear that the good guys won.

^^ This.

All things being equal with shot placement, if I get a less than perfect shot, I prefer there to be a bigger hole.

Also did I miss some discussion about shot placement being critical? FWIW - One of my best friends was killed on duty with a .22 to the heart. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anyone here arguing shot placement v. caliber.
                      I think we left out placement because they are separate issues. You have to assume one to talk about the other. In this case I assumed with identical shot placement I'd go with a larger Cal.
                      If the question is which will give you better shot placement I'd start from small Cal to big. The problem is with the smaller Cal your shot better be spot on. With a larger Cal you can be off a little and still have a devastating effect from energy transfer.
                      Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

"With a larger Cal you can be off a little and still have a devastating effect from energy transfer."

He went there...sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by KenW. View Post

Same reason I carry a .40. Higher velocity rounds hit more violently and are more likely to expand, thus creating more damage and a bigger hole. This is why the .357 magnum was so effective in so many police shootings when revolvers were the norm. Even if the rounds don't expand, .40 pistols typically have greater capacity than similar sized .45 pistols. Sixteen rounds of potent .40 from my G22 creates a heck of a lot more "life energy leakage" (whatever the heck that is) than 8 or 9 rounds of .45.
                          Did I fire six shots, or only five?

Comment

Originally posted by leesrt View Post
                            I think we left out placement because they are separate issues. You have to assume one to talk about the other. In this case I assumed with identical shot placement I'd go with a larger Cal.
                            If the question is which will give you better shot placement I'd start from small Cal to big. The problem is with the smaller Cal your shot better be spot on. With a larger Cal you can be off a little and still have a devastating effect from energy transfer.
                            This is the same point I was making. Shot placement being equal, I would still opt for the bigger hole.

As for the "energy transfer" comment, would you care to expound, or enlighten us on the science and actual efficacy of which you speak, primarily related to the topic of pistol rounds? Thanks.
                            The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

Originally posted by K40 View Post
                              "life energy leakage" (whatever the heck that is) than 8 or 9 rounds of .45.
                              Blood, the stuff that keeps the brain oxygenated and a person in the fight.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4727 users online. 280 members and 4447 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X