300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Finished Firearms Instructor Course

Want to thank those who gave advice and suggestions for me in an earlier thread on shooting at the 50 yard line.

Was a great class. Loved it. Got a TON of training ideas to take back to my department. Yesterday was the first time I had ever shot at "negative" targets. Looking forward to exposing my officers to this stuff! Again, thanks for the help and suggestions one and all.
    Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Good job, Devildog!
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

I like pistol shooting from the 50. It's fun because it's something different.

Comment

I'll bite.

What's a "negative" target?
        "You won't rise to the occasion - you'll default to your level of training." Barrett Tillman

"Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to Continue that Counts" Sir Winston Churchill

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Comment

^^^^^^

Ditto

How long was the course? Can you share more about what you learned?
          sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

I beleive what they are calling negative targets are similar to what we also refer to as a combat cutout target, or just cutout target.

If this is the same thing, basically you cut out the combat accurate area of a target (high center mass), which is basically about 8"-10" circle or similar. The idea is to keep the rounds inside of the targets cutout and putting rounds through the paper on the target is bad. It is often used to help alleviate guys who are paper watchers. The guys who like to see nice tight groups visible on paper. This invariably slows a shooter down and draws them away from shooting quick combat accurate hits. By not having any holes appear on the target, it tends to speed up a shooters pace of getting rounds on target while retaining what is considered combat accuracy.
            The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

I imagine there's still a gong or something behind the target so you can't throw 10 quick shots into Nantucket and call it 100%.
              **Not a LEO**

Comment

Originally posted by Surf View Post
                I beleive what they are calling negative targets are similar to what we also refer to as a combat cutout target, or just cutout target.

If this is the same thing, basically you cut out the combat accurate area of a target (high center mass), which is basically about 8"-10" circle or similar. The idea is to keep the rounds inside of the targets cutout and putting rounds through the paper on the target is bad. It is often used to help alleviate guys who are paper watchers. The guys who like to see nice tight groups visible on paper. This invariably slows a shooter down and draws them away from shooting quick combat accurate hits. By not having any holes appear on the target, it tends to speed up a shooters pace of getting rounds on target while retaining what is considered combat accuracy.
                Thanks, I like that idea. I might bring that up with our firearms instructors.
                "You won't rise to the occasion - you'll default to your level of training." Barrett Tillman

"Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to Continue that Counts" Sir Winston Churchill

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3902 users online. 189 members and 3713 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X