Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1911 magazine tuning (make 7 round to 8 capacity)?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 magazine tuning (make 7 round to 8 capacity)?

Anyone here tried to make a 1911 7 round magazine into an 8 round one?

I have a few Wilson 8 round mags and really the only difference I see is the spring is shorter than my stock 7 round mags. So I suspect the wire used to make the 8 round spring is of more resilient material and doing this might reduce the life of the 7 round spring if it worked.

Is it really that easy? Could I just trim the spring from the factory mag until I can get an additional round in there? Or should I simply buy a replacement 8 round Wilson spring. The magazines themselves are the same dimensions. The spring looks to be the only variable.

This is for entertainment use for the range. I would only carry Wilson 8 round mags that are manufactured that way (not a tuned one), but I got a WHOLE bunch of 7 round mags I could tinker with.

Thanks,

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
    - Cornelius Tacitus

You can cut the spring and it will probably work but will it be reliable; probably not. The spring tension on the magazine will be different unless you know exactly how to wind it at the right height. You might try ordering another spring made for an 8 round magazine.

The last thing you want is an unreliable 1911 magazine and 1911 magazine have issues as it sits.

Comment

You probably have the older (Model 47 type) Wilson magazines. The newer ETMs (also by Wilson) were designed from the ground up as eight rounders. While I've never had issues with either in my Nighthawk Custom, I prefer the ETMs for serious carry and would recommend those vs modifying older designs (even with new springs).
      "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

I wouldn't try it unless you just like throwing away magazines.

One of the reasons my Commander is 100% reliable is becuase I only use top quality mags. In my case I use McCormick Shooting Star 8 rounders. I do have one OE Colt 8 rounder that works well.
        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
        8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
          I wouldn't try it unless you just like throwing away magazines.
          Well, that's basically what I'm doing. I have 22 mags for my 1911. Only 3 of which are 8 rounders. I figured I'd experiment with one of my 7 rounders.

It didn't work out. Even swapping an 8 round spring AND the follower it turns out my 8 round Chip MC is 3 mm LONGER than the factory supplied 7 rounder mags. So even with the spring and follower the mag still wasn't long enough to convert it to get 8 rounds in there.

I got to thinking though, with a magwell I need a bumper on my 7 round mags. That's 1/2 inch longer the mag COULD be internally. I couldn't find anyone that sold a slightly extended 1911 mag for magwell 1911s witout going overboard with a 10 round one.

I think it could work to make a 9 round 45ACP mag for a 1911 that would be a perfect size for magwell usage.

- Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

Try here http://www.1911store.com/magazinereplacementparts.aspx
            The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

good site, it looks to mostly be competition stuff though.

- Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6761 users online. 233 members and 6528 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X