Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M4 barrel covers

ok so here is my question...

we just recently have been allowed to carry our M4's in the car with us, (they used to have to be stored in the trunk), in carring the rifle in the car the operator must ride shotgun and hold the rifle muzzle down. this posed a delima in that dirt, mud and other debris would get in the flash suppressor. so i started looking and found these plastic covers that fit over the muzzle, the product claims to be "shoot off" the question is does anybody have any experiance with these, and can it affect the accuracy of the shot?

thanks for the input
    In God we trust... All others check NCIC...

Shop smart... Shop "S" mart!

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

I'm confused. Is this for patrol, or something else?
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

If this is for inside a car, don't worry about the covers. I have used them on patrol before in the woods/jungle/etc. but I have never shot one off. I don't see how hard plastic would NOT influence the impact of the round.
      "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
      8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

yes, it is for patrol use

Comment

Use a condom...that's what we used in the Army 35 years ago..
          "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

Last edited by fordman318; 03-28-2010, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpyirishman View Post
              Use a condom...that's what we used in the Army 35 years ago..
              A condom will rip off in VERY short order if you place the muzzle on the floor of the vehicle (as is common practice).

Honestly, I have never seen the need to worry about it unless you have 1-2" of mud on the floor of your cruiser. Dust don't matter and a little dirt on the birdcage is not going to throw off your shot. Mud packed into it will.
              "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Comment

We had an officer go to qualify with his M4. He forgot to take off the plastic muzzle cover and shot the first round right through the cover. The weapon discharged and cycled properly. He did not miss the target, but the trajectory was significantly different than his followup shots.

Comment

Originally posted by PROBY View Post
                  ok so here is my question...

we just recently have been allowed to carry our M4's in the car with us, (they used to have to be stored in the trunk), in carring the rifle in the car the operator must ride shotgun and hold the rifle muzzle down. this posed a delima in that dirt, mud and other debris would get in the flash suppressor. so i started looking and found these plastic covers that fit over the muzzle, the product claims to be "shoot off" the question is does anybody have any experiance with these, and can it affect the accuracy of the shot?

thanks for the input

OK, lets back up here: Your department has transitioned from storing your M4's from your trunk to the passenger compartment of your patrol vehicle?

And your next statement seems to me that your stating that you must store the weapon muzzle down. Are you asking about what can you do to keep dust and debris out of the muzzle of the M4?

To be honest your description of HOW you store your guns in your car is a little confusing to me.

I would assume that you store both your shotgun and your M4 in an electronic lock type gun rack in your car. Is that the case?

maybe if you help us out and give us a little more detail on just how your guns are stored we could give better feedback.

Comment

Here's how our rifles were stored:

The rifle and shotgun are stored side by side, in electronic locks.
                    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

^^^ I wish we had those I have been trying to get the PD to but them for ever but they wont budge.

I also like this one

http://www.santacruzgunlocks.com/pro...universal.html

Comment

[QUOTE=ArcticCop;2033217]

I would assume that you store both your shotgun and your M4 in an electronic lock type gun rack in your car. Is that the case?

QUOTE]

lol, thats funny... this is chicago... we r lucky we are even allowed to carry the dam things... we just recently like with in the last year have been allowed to carry the M4, there is a lock located in the trunk, that is fastened to the under part of the trunk lid... not very sturdy... the unit im in has the option of carring the rifle in the cabin of the car... yes this means that we have to ride 2 deep and the officer riding shotgun carries the M4, this is not an issue since we ride 2 deep all the time anyway.

the winters in chicago are brutal to say the least, so i was looking for something to protect the barrel and such

Comment

So if your partner has to hold the rifle, y'all carry the rifle out on all your calls?

Comment

Does policy dictate the rifle has to be carried muzzle down in the car?
                            sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

Muzzle down is the safest mode. Otherwise in most cruisers you end up muzzling your chest.

IMHO.... you need to forget about the muzzle cap. Just slather the birdcage with clp or militec and keep it that way.

If you have to bail out quick you WILL NOT remeber to remove it. It's more of a liability than a benefit.

If I had the choice between holding the M4 ALL THE TIME or locking it in the trunk, then it would be in the trunk. Granted I don't work in Chicago, but I am betting that like us, you guys go "hands on" far more
                              often than you engage with an M4.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4746 users online. 273 members and 4473 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X