Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brass FMJ bullets? Special considerations?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brass FMJ bullets? Special considerations?

A month back I bought 100 rounds of 45ACP. I finally opened the boxes last night and they look like brass jacketed too me. I assume this because the slugs are the same color as the case.

Is there anything I need to consider when firing these in regard to how they will treat my barrel? I assume they aren’t better than copper jacketed because this ammo was $4 cheaper a box.

Are they harder or softer than copper?

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
    - Cornelius Tacitus

Brass is harder and stronger than copper but not as hard or strong as steel, so it should cause more barrel wear than copper.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Depends.

Different alloys have different hardness levels. Are you sure they are brass?

Even so, the brass is much softer than barrel steel. If this is in a pistol I wouldn't think a second thought about it.
      "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
      8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Yep, pistol. Thanks.

The slug is the same color of the case and that's all I have to go on. There is no indication on the box or warning disclosures about it being brass or not.

It just wont be something I will purchase in the future, like Brazer brass (which uses SMALL primers for 45ACP, and is ANNOYING when mixed in for reloading).

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
        - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

Montana Gold bullets website says they copper jacket but the bullets are brass colored.

You might contact them and see if they will let you know their jacket material.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6258 users online. 346 members and 5912 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X