300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light options for AR-15

I have my issued AR. I'm not issued a lighting system but I do have an aimpoint. I'm trying to research a good lighting system. I was looking into a surefire system that would cost about $175 total to put together. This is adding a rail to my existing lower hand guard. buying the mount, light and switch. I'm leaning towards that set up. Anyone have a setup that has worked well for them?

Pistol Light:

Mounted to a TDI bayonet lug mount:

Weaponlight mounted on a DD offset weaponlight mount to a railed forearm:

J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

I use a Surefire Scout LED on my duty rifle, but it wasn't cheap. I paid 300 bucks for the light, pressure pad, etc. and I already had the quad rail. I really like it, it is a solid setup.

My wife wanted something a little less complicated. I found a section of picitinnny rail that mounted inside of the standard FSB and stuck her Surefire X200 on it. The rail can be found for between 35-100 bucks. The pistol light used can be found cheap if you shop around. For her, it was more economical and still allowed her to heep the basic "A2" look she wanted.

I'll try to post some pictures in the morning.
      Last edited by SoCalSheriff; 10-19-2009, 04:28 AM.
      Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
      --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

related to... preferences on placement of light? I've heard that anything North of 3 & 9 o'clock you'll have a blind spot in target acquisition. I've heard 6 o'clock is ideal. Thoughts

JWise, I was considering both placements you have shown above; a lug mount and then the DD Offset. I think (at least for now) I'm going with a SF 6P LED with pressure pad attached.
        "The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it – Thucydides"

Comment

Originally posted by cbrown_tx View Post
          related to... preferences on placement of light? I've heard that anything North of 3 & 9 o'clock you'll have a blind spot in target acquisition. I've heard 6 o'clock is ideal. Thoughts

JWise, I was considering both placements you have shown above; a lug mount and then the DD Offset. I think (at least for now) I'm going with a SF 6P LED with pressure pad attached.
          I'd say the opposite. When you put the light higher, the barrel shadow will be towards the bottom and more out of the way. 12 o'clock would be ideal because it puts the barrel shadow on the bottom of your FOV. It also guarantees that if you have a clear sight picture and your barrel is clear of any obstructions, your light will be clear.

Comment

I just bought a light at an auction for $6. All it says on it is Panther and it is a 1 inch tactical light with a weaver mount and a remote switch. I believe it is this one. I have never heard of them and was wondering if anyone else had, I am having trouble finding reviews of it. If it's decent then I will put it on my Bushmaster, if not it is going on my Tippman Alpha Black Tactical.
            Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.

Comment

I do NOT have this light, but it caught my attention recently and I do have another one of their products (the Signature Turboforce). Lumapower generally gets pretty good reviews over at CPF. I'm giving serious thought to buying this for my son on his deployment.
              http://www.lumaforce.com/lf1luwelisy.html
              This Lighting System includes everything shown above and Provides Blinding Bright Lighting.

1 X LF1 300 Lumen LumaForce LED flashlight
              1 X Remote Pressure Switch
              1 X Switch Grip
              2 X Lithium CR123 Batteries
              1 X Picatinny/Weaver rail mount
              1 X Barrel Mount
              On sale right now for $55. If you dig around a little on their website they have a few options available, like a 450 lumen upgrade kit and color lenses.

I'll also mention the Fenix TK11 weapon setup on the same website for $99.
              http://www.lumaforce.com/fetkcowelisy.html

Comment

Originally posted by velobard View Post
                I do NOT have this light, but it caught my attention recently and I do have another one of their products (the Signature Turboforce). Lumapower generally gets pretty good reviews over at CPF. I'm giving serious thought to buying this for my son on his deployment.
                http://www.lumaforce.com/lf1luwelisy.html

On sale right now for $55. If you dig around a little on their website they have a few options available, like a 450 lumen upgrade kit and color lenses.

I'll also mention the Fenix TK11 weapon setup on the same website for $99.
                http://www.lumaforce.com/fetkcowelisy.html
                *BE AWARE*

LumaPOWER and LumaFORCE are not the same lights or the same company. I also own a Lumapower (Lumahunter MRV) and it is a very good light. The Lumaforce looks to be very similar to the Chinese made solarforce lights. I am not saying that Lumaforce lights are not good, but they are definitely not to be confused with Lumapower.
                The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by beavo451 View Post
                  I'd say the opposite. When you put the light higher, the barrel shadow will be towards the bottom and more out of the way. 12 o'clock would be ideal because it puts the barrel shadow on the bottom of your FOV. It also guarantees that if you have a clear sight picture and your barrel is clear of any obstructions, your light will be clear.

I have tried just about every set up imaginable, but for myself, the above set up works the best for me. Light weight and the Surefire X300 is very powerful. Since I use a very extended, thumbs forward grip, the light placement just in front of the FSB at 12 is the easiest to manipulate. A simple push for intermittent and a slight rotate up or down for constant on. Also this set up is completely ambidextrous.

Just be aware that depending on your flash hider / muzzle brake, you can get some vision disturbance from the muzzle blast and smoke with a top mounted light. You tend to get this no matter what, but top mount can be a bit more pronounced.
                  The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

Originally posted by Surf View Post
                    *BE AWARE*

LumaPOWER and LumaFORCE are not the same lights or the same company. I also own a Lumapower (Lumahunter MRV) and it is a very good light. The Lumaforce looks to be very similar to the Chinese made solarforce lights. I am not saying that Lumaforce lights are not good, but they are definitely not to be confused with Lumapower.
                    Thanks for pointing that out, I guess I had a brain fart. Lumaforce is also an authorized dealer for Lumapower lights (and where I ordered my Lumapower) but you're right, they are different companies. Of course, the Lumapower lights (like most things these days, it seems) are also made in China.

Comment

Originally posted by Jere View Post
                      I just bought a light at an auction for $6. All it says on it is Panther and it is a 1 inch tactical light with a weaver mount and a remote switch. I believe it is this one. I have never heard of them and was wondering if anyone else had, I am having trouble finding reviews of it. If it's decent then I will put it on my Bushmaster, if not it is going on my Tippman Alpha Black Tactical.
                      I've been told to go with LED's because they are more shock proof.

Comment

Originally posted by velobard View Post
                        Thanks for pointing that out, I guess I had a brain fart. Lumaforce is also an authorized dealer for Lumapower lights (and where I ordered my Lumapower) but you're right, they are different companies. Of course, the Lumapower lights (like most things these days, it seems) are also made in China.
                        Quite right my friend. It was not fair to say made in China. Crap can be crap no matter where it was made. Or I should say that even good products can come from China just as easily as poor products. Same can be said for elsewhere, even here.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

Originally posted by Surf View Post
                          Quite right my friend. It was not fair to say made in China. Crap can be crap no matter where it was made. Or I should say that even good products can come from China just as easily as poor products. Same can be said for elsewhere, even here.
                          China is about where Japan was in the early 60's. Who knows, they might someday make quality stuff on a consistant basis.
                          sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

I have a Surefire G2 with an LED head on it on my quad rail. Firestorm makes the pressure switch I use and it is on a Tango Down VFG. Probably the cheapest good quality light you will put on your rifle.

-Z
                            Attached Files
                            Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God (Matthew 5:9)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5033 users online. 281 members and 4752 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X