300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .308 choice.

I recently endered up acquiring a Rock River LAR-8 carbine. I had ordered it in Oct. of 2008 with an expected arrival date of Jan. 2009. By Mar. '09 I figured it would never come and had an opportunity to buy a Springfield Socom II with vltor stock. The Rock River came in last month so i went ahead and spent the $1000 to pick it up since I had ordered it. Since I'm not sure that I need 2 .308 rifles, which would you keep and which would you sell if you were only going to keep one of them.
    Every day is just the same, I'm chasing rainbows in the rain.

I would keep the SOCOM, more reliable gas system, and mags are less expensive.
    Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

Depends... I am a fan of both but you need to specify what it is going to be used for.
      If you are going to modify it more than just simple add ons then I would probably go with the RR because there is a huge following of the AR platform.

If it was gonna be an occasional shooter I would keep the SOCOM just cause its a great gun and can be modded to meet most needs.

www.snipershide.com is where you should head to for some opinions and research
      Hoping to get picked up when I return from Iraq

Comment

M1a1 most accurate semi rifle on the market.. Tough as nails and there is a cool factor. Mags are easy to find. But I would keep them both.
        The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Monkeybomb View Post
          M1a1 most accurate semi rifle on the market..
          Uh... Are you kidding? An AR variant in ANY caliber is MUCH easier to accurize (and maintain its accuracy) than ANY M1A variant.

I say this, having owned one of the most accurate M1A rifles to come out of the Springfield shop: the M21.

Shoot both, decide which you prefer, and keep them both!
          Last edited by jwise; 10-17-2009, 11:50 AM.
          J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Tough choice. I'd prolly stay with the Rock River
            -"He detested failure more than anything else, even betrayal. Betrayal required intelligence and ruthlessness, failure only stupidity or lack of concentration."
            -Daniel Silva

Comment

While I very much like the AR style .308 variant, however I have a huge soft spot for the M14/M1A and it is one of my absolute favorites.
              The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Keep Both or I will take both off your hands...
                Hoping to get picked up when I return from Iraq

Comment

Originally posted by Monkeybomb View Post
                  M1a1 most accurate semi rifle on the market..
                  Have to disagree with you there. So will a LOT of highpower shooters.

I don't know enough about the RRA to comment on which one. I say shoot them both and keep the one that gives you the biggest grin.
                  "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                  8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

You don't say if this will be a patrol rifle or for accuracy work. Judging by your choice of AR platforms and M1A's I would guess patrol rifle. What optic are you planning on using?
                    Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

I'd probably sell the Socom II.

It just doesn't make sense.

7.62 NATO rifles are robust firearms with heavy receivers and heavy magazines.

Cutting the barrel down to 16" saves a few scant ounces. It also costs about 300 FPS.

So now you have a big heavy rifle that still handles relatively slowly, plus you lost the biggest redeeming quality, which was the ability to really reach out and touch your target. It will never acquire targets or follow-up as fast as a M4 or MP-5.

An AK47 is probably at near the same energy level, and still lighter and faster with 50% more magazine capacity.

I can put Dodge Viper wheels and tires on my 3/4 Dodge RAM. It won't make the RAM handle like a Viper, I'll just lose my payload and towing capacity. It would defy logic to make that modification.

You asked for an opinion. Mine is to keep a full length battle rifle. A 16" barrel on a 7.62X51 is a horrible abortion. Opinions can differ. I suppose a Socom II is a fine scary looking bullet hose for blowing up watermelons and such. Though an AK is a lot more practical for that mission.

You might as well take advantage of what that heavy receiver and heavy ammo was designed for. Let it accelerate out of a full length barrel.

My set-up is simple. A 21" barrel FAL, a bunch of mags, and a set of kevlar gloves for when it gets too hot to hold.

I built my own rifle, on an Imbel receiver and new Argentine 21" chrome lined barrel. If I wanted a 16" barrel, I would've made it that way. In fact, I could still cut down my original kit barrel. I just can't fathom why. It would be like cutting a leg off my thoroughbred race horse.
                      Last edited by DaisyCutter; 10-18-2009, 10:04 AM.
                      "Too many times, too many times payin' the price, just for the thrill" - Tesla

Comment

Originally posted by DaisyCutter View Post
                        I'd probably sell the Socom II.

It just doesn't make sense.

7.62 NATO rifles are robust firearms with heavy receivers and heavy magazines.

Cutting the barrel down to 16" saves a few scant ounces. It also costs about 300 FPS.

So now you have a big heavy rifle that still handles relatively slowly, plus you lost the biggest redeeming quality, which was the ability to really reach out and touch your target. It will never acquire targets or follow-up as fast as a M4 or MP-5.

An AK47 is probably at near the same energy level, and still lighter and faster with 50% more magazine capacity.

I can put Dodge Viper wheels and tires on my 3/4 Dodge RAM. It won't make the RAM handle like a Viper, I'll just lose my payload and towing capacity. It would defy logic to make that modification.

You asked for an opinion. Mine is to keep a full length battle rifle. A 16" barrel on a 7.62X51 is a horrible abortion. Opinions can differ. I suppose a Socom II is a fine scary looking bullet hose for blowing up watermelons and such. Though an AK is a lot more practical for that mission.

You might as well take advantage of what that heavy receiver and heavy ammo was designed for. Let it accelerate out of a full length barrel.

My set-up is simple. A 21" barrel FAL, a bunch of mags, and a set of kevlar gloves for when it gets too hot to hold.

I built my own rifle, on an Imbel receiver and new Argentine 21" chrome lined barrel. If I wanted a 16" barrel, I would've made it that way. In fact, I could still cut down my original kit barrel. I just can't fathom why. It would be like cutting a leg off my thoroughbred race horse.
                        300 FPS? How did you arrive at that number? If you have Chrono data, i'd be interested. The general rule of thumb is between 25 and 50 fps per inch, maybe more, maybe less. There are a lot of people using 18" precision .308's out to a fair distance. Can't speak for the terminal effectiveness though.
                        Same power level as an AK?

Even if it had the same velocity, your talking a 147 grain bullet versus a 123 grain bullet.

Way too much muzzle blast with the 16" though. The M1a is a nice rifle, I love the M14 platform, I might keep it for the fun factor, but probably not for business use. If you had to use it indoors, it would be like setting off a flash bang everytime you pulled the trigger.

Comment

Not able to comment on the RRA version, The Armalie AR10 or DPMS units std. grade will shoot M1-A match grade groups without the hassle of not being able to remove the M1-A rifle from the stock without having it re-bedded. They will outshoot the rack grade M1-A. The M1-A action will stay much cleaner since the gas system does not dump into the receiver. AR 10 type action works better with a silencer especially if you can put an adj. gas system on.

RRA as did the predesessor the Bushmaster 308 uses FAL magazines, this made sense durring the AW ban because FAL magazines are/were cheap. Still are. The Bushmaster versions broke bolts, some people do not like the design as the FAL magazines do not have feed lips, the feed lips on the FAL are on the receiver of the rifle magazine is not designed to feed.

RR took years once they got the rights to the gun back to get production models out. I have not followed the drama on this rifle. There would be an entire discussion section on this rifle on AR15.com website.

I sold my Armalite AR10 durring the AW ban so I could get an LE only version, then I spent the money, then the ban went away so anyone could have evil rifles, I got a FAL G-1 and it shot so well no need for a replacement AR10 with price of 308 ammo now I shoot it in a bolt action rifle now

Comment

That is one of the reasons I have not been interested in a FAL or other .308 bullet hose.

I am going with an AR10 out of necessity and curiosity. It will most definitely not see the kind of use my M4 does.
                            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                            8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5536 users online. 294 members and 5242 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X