300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here’s a question about new 1911’s verses old 1911’s

On my modern Springfield TRP 1911 after the last around the slide locks back. I can drop the slide one of two ways.
    1) Put in a new mag (or remove the empty one) and release the slide stop.
    2) Put in a new mag (or remove the empty one) and pull the slide back manually and let it go forward.

On my 35 year old Colt Model 70 I can only release the slide by pressing the slide stop. I cannot pull the slide back with my off hand and let it fall forward.

Does anyone know why?

I’m asking before I take them apart and compare them close up.

Reason for the curiosity is my training dictates I use large movements on reloads and ideally I want to pull the slide back with my hand rather than actuate the release with my thumb.

Not that I would be carrying a 35 year old blued model 70 or anything. Just wondered.

Thanks,

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
    - Cornelius Tacitus

Ummm... Because the slide stop is messed up?
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

I'll swap them and see what happens. That would suck. The stop is blued to match the rest of the gun (it's the original one I gather).

- Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

Yeah, I'd have to agree with jwise. I've handled 1911's of all makes and models for over 40 years. I've NEVER had one that couldn't be returned to battery after a mag change by pulling back on the slide and allowing it to go forward. It's got to be something in the slide stop that's causing it. It's certainly not an intentional design in your Model 70.

Comment

I swapped out my slide stops and the problem was solved. So it means I should replace the stop on my Colt.

It is a combination of two issues I observed. One of which I can’t fix. The little cut out in the slide that pushes down the slide stop is wider than my other 1911. So effectively the slide cannot go back far enough to make contact with the slide stop to push it down completely.

The slide stop I swapped out had a little more surface area on it that it was able to work in the Colt (but just barely, I had to use a micrometer to tell the difference between the two stops).

So whatever slide stop I end up getting I just need to make sure it has more surface area on the tab that it can make contact with the slide.

I would say the probelm is more aparent on the slide, but that's not something I can address. My guess now is the slide stop is not original, as the contact points at the slide and stop do not appear to have been altered (unless they were reblued, but I doubt that given the other wear on the gun).

- Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

Originally posted by jwise View Post
            Ummm... Because the slide stop is messed up?
            This. When you insert the slide stop into the barrel link is it a real tight fit? Are you putting oil on it? Have you looked at the slide stop edge where it contacts the slide to see if there is some excess peening on it?
            People grow through experience, if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2824 users online. 158 members and 2666 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X