Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AR-15 reliability and other controversial issues with the black rifle...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AR-15 reliability and other controversial issues with the black rifle...

Come one, come all to THIS thread if you want to discuss how weak the AR-15 platform is, and why the US gov't should dump it in favor of _______.

Let's see, to start us off, let me point out the weaknesses of the platform:

1) It 'poops' where it eats.

This is a problem for more than one reason. First off, it dumps a large amount of carbon and unburnt powder into the actual bolt carrier, not just the upper receiver. This creates a build-up of debris that can cause the bolt to slow down, and mess up the timing of the action, thus causing the rifle to jam.

Additionally, the hot gas causes the oil to burn off and the carbon to be 'baked' to the internal parts. This requires the rifle to need more oil as it shoots over an extended period. In fact, I have been told that after 500rds, the rifle should get a squirt of oil in the two holes on the side of the exposed bolt through the ejection port.

The additional oil replaces what has burned off in the 500 rounds, and it loosens up the carbon that has been deposited into the receiver. It keeps it "slushy!"

Finally, the direct impingement gas system overheats the rifle, blowing the extremely hot gases back into the upper receiver through the bolt carrier. A hot bolt can swell, sticking in the equally hot chamber lugs. The intense heat also causes premature wear on the small parts, and causes the parts to break earlier in the service life of the rifle than what would otherwise be expected.

Alright, I'm sure there are plenty of you guys out there who want to dog this weapon platform, so go ahead and take it away!
    Last edited by jwise; 10-13-2009, 10:03 PM.
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

One 'fix' for the above listed problems is the gas piston. Here's the LWRC short-stroke gas piston rifle:

Of course, there are other gas piston rifles available:

Etc...
    J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

For a thorough testing of any rifle, a large volume of rounds should be fired through the rifle in a relatively short period of time. This tests the rifle when overheated, as well as just for carbon build-up problems.

There is a reason most rifles that perform perfectly for years all of a sudden go down when taken to a carbine course. Shooting more than 500 rounds in a day will put a rifle through its paces, and will show you if there are problems in your platform.

Of course, if you want to watch a rifle jam, just keep firing past 500 rounds without adding oil.
      J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

I wouldnt dump it in favor anything with all the experience I have with it and the fact I know that if its well taken of that its a dumptruck...

Bump to Jwise...
        Hoping to get picked up when I return from Iraq

Comment

one thing that may cause some people to come unglued..i always kept a can of brake cleaner in my ruck and if i was shooting alot of blanks or high round count hot ranges..id pop out the bolt and hose the inside and chamber out, and spray the bolt, re-oil with clp and keep going..

let the flames begin
          In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

The bullet size doesn't make me feel manly enough. But I can carry more of those cute bullets.

I prefer a heavy man sized rifle. But I can carry it more comfortably for a longer period of time.

I hate the fact that if I shoot someone in the head, their head doesn't come completely off like a cork out of a champagne bottle. Instead they just fall over dead with little "fireworks".

I hate that I get to shoot so few rounds out of it. If it was a bit less accurate, I would have more fun "spraying and praying". Aimed fire is after all overrated.

I hate the fact that it is only reliable when properly maintained and lubed. I would rather not have to carry around any cleaning equipment and actually taking 5 mins of my time for preventive care and maintenance.

I hate the fact that I have to be within about 600 or so meters to think that I can fell an evil 2 legged beast. I would rather shoot tangos in my bunny slippers with my .50BMG from within the confines of the wire and not have to put on my boots or get dusty.

I hate the fact that I can't mag dump the sum bitch and get the barrels white hot to the point of warping and not expect them to keep running.

I hate the fact that my favorite rifle in the M4/AR/M16 platform isn't actually a *gulp* COLT! ARRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! There I said it, please forgive me! MY FAVORITE IS NOT A COLT! Hell it isn't even a 5.56 / .223. Wow, do I feel better now.
            The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

You forgot the favorite:

Oh yeah bring your M4 and Ill bring my gun and well throw em in the dirt and then fire em.

Yeah cause thats how it is in real life. I actually pulled up next to a guy the other day and then drove my car off a cliff to show it doesnt defy gravity. I lived too.
              Hoping to get picked up when I return from Iraq

Comment

Originally posted by Surf View Post

I hate the fact that my favorite rifle in the M4/AR/M16 platform isn't actually a *gulp* COLT! ARRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! There I said it, please forgive me! MY FAVORITE IS NOT A COLT! Hell it isn't even a 5.56 / .223. Wow, do I feel better now.
                The purists will have a stroke from that confession.

Comment

Anybody else got any gripes?
                  J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

They're just like a toy and go 'BOING' when you pull the trigger.

A 'BB' gun has more kick.

A firecracker has a louder bang.

You can play mumbly peg with the bullets.

No challenge to find toys and accessories for them.

If you run out of ammo, you can use the upper for a blowgun.
                    sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

I vote for this replacement:

Similar egonomics, choice of lil' or big calibers, no direct impingement.
                      Anybody foresee going through 500 rds all by themselves in a LE firefight? Maybe gas in the action isn't a problem for LEOs?

The tan might clash with my shirt, though. Need to make it in black.

Comment

The gas tube system, combined with weaknesses in the bolt carrier group, and general inaccessability for thorough cleaning, add up to trouble. If you could easily access the gas port and tube for thorough cleaning, that would help alot (probably why the pistons are getting so much press time now). BCG upgrades are reducing failures there, but it doesn't look at the whole picture.

plus, you are trying to have a single platform perform multiple functions; long range, CQB, and even pistol configurations. The military grudgingly realizes this and will add different caliber platforms in most squads. Admittedly, trying to outfit a patrol group is the pits; you want firepower that is fast, minimul recoil, ammo that is light in weight when transporting 200-300 rounds per person. You also want maximum stopping power, ability to shoot from 30 yards to 600 yards, with excellent penetrating power.

For LE agencies, the AR platform is nearly ideal. For a military application, it leaves alot to be desired. Sorry, but i still prefer the .30 calibers for military applications.
                        Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

Regarding cleaning the gas tube, it is completely pointless. The gas port in the barrel, the gas block, and the gas tube are completely maintenance free parts. The only time I've ever heard of them getting dirty to the point of inhibiting the action of the rifle is when thousands and thousands of .22lr rounds have been fired through an AR with a conversion kit.

If you've been shooting a .22lr conversion kit in your AR, fire a 5.56 cartridge every 500 or so rounds. It will blow the debris out, and keep it running clean.
                          J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

Does the LWRC rifle do a better job of working dirty?

Comment

For one, it doesn't GET dirty...

Unless you shoot it suppressed. But even then, the debris just wipes off the room temperature bolt carrier. I've done a mag dump with it, then pulled out the bolt carrier and held it in my hand. A DI bolt carrier would have burned me....
                              J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5929 users online. 328 members and 5601 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X