300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USPSA/IPSC before the academy?

So after a search and not finding anything on this topic, I figured I'd ask here since the Brian Enos forum probably isn't the right place, haha.

I'm in school right now and will be self sponsoring through the academy here when I am done. I like to shoot... a lot, and it seems that I would enjoy USPSA/IPSC. Now my question is, will shooting USPSA get me into habits from the game that would be detrimental to what I would be trying to accomplish in the academy? Game vs. real life training is what I'm talking about I guess. Basically, I don't want to spend the next year or so shooting USPSA and getting used to that style of shooting, and then going into the academy with all of these things I learned in USPSA that are the wrong thing to do in police work.

Thanks guys, any insight into this matter would be greatly appreciated!
    Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

I don't think you'd have a problem with that. I say go for it!
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jwise View Post
      I don't think you'd have a problem with that. I say go for it!
      Cool! I'm going to watch a match in two weeks and decide on a gun to buy. I don't think my CZ compact is going to be competitive, and I want an excuse to buy another gun anyways I'm thinking a G34 to shoot in production. I'd love an STI Spartan, but the .45 just isn't competitive with everyone in Limited 10 handloading .40. So I definitely think staying in production for awhile would be the way to go.
      Eat Meat, Build Mass!

Comment

definitely! I shot w/the local IPSC and USPSA groups for about 2 years before going into the academy and it really helped...its also A LOT of fun
        Chris

XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Comment

I had a guy in my academy that was a ranked competitive shooter. He was by far the best shooter in our class and he won an award for this. He could drive tacks with a handgun.

Comment

Originally posted by Curly Bill View Post
            I had a guy in my academy that was a ranked competitive shooter. He was by far the best shooter in our class and he won an award for this. He could drive tacks with a handgun.
            It's not the actual shooting that has me a bit worried, it's how you engage targets in competition. Even though IPSC is supposed to be "run n gun", most of the time you are standing still while shooting, and then running to the next part of the COF. In a real gunfight, that type of training would not be ideal I assume.
            Eat Meat, Build Mass!

Comment

Well, it does "plant your feet" a bit, but to be honest, most shooting SHOULD be done with your feet planted!

I reiterate, MOST shooting, not ALL shooting.

In addition, you will need to realized that cover is a good thing, and you should get behind it (not suck up to it) as much as possible. This is not exactly "taught" in the gaming world. Sure, they say "use your cover," but not like you SHOULD in a real gunfight.
              J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jwise View Post
                Sure, they say "use your cover," but not like you SHOULD in a real gunfight.
                very true....granted that its not "real life" but w/the IPSC matches you have to reload and return fire behind/from cover. Its a step in the right direction compated to the USPSA style that is more "race-gun" or "run and gun" style of shooting
                Chris

Comment

IDPA might be a little closer to what might help you later. They require you to use cover when available. Many of the stages are closer to real life situations. JMHO
                  Mike

Comment

You can't go wrong with USPSA as it requires you to shoot on the move, long shots, short shots, strong hand, week hand etc...

IDPA is a great sport as well, but it's too "This is how you do it" for my tastes anymore. As someone who has shot it for 10+ years, I've seen it progress to the point where it's not really "real world" anymore. There is just no room for shooter interpretation. "This is how you shoot it" is what IDPA is about.

Whatever the case, try one, try both and decide for yourself. Either sport will put you far ahead of your classmates who don't participate.
                    Last edited by precision40; 10-10-2009, 12:35 PM.

Comment

I don't think you should wait, however you do sound new to firearms so I might suggest getting some good basic training from a reputable instructor first. Have fun with the sport side of it.
                      The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by Surf View Post
                        I don't think you should wait, however you do sound new to firearms so I might suggest getting some good basic training from a reputable instructor first. Have fun with the sport side of it.
                        Yeah, I've been trying to find a good instructor around here, but it seems that no one knows of anyone. I'm hoping that one of the guys from the USPSA chapter can tell me of someone to learn from. I'm pretty new to firearms, only been shooting a couple of years, but I'm already super bored of shooting from a stall at the range a few times a month, and I figure sport shooting is the only way to get over that, haha.
                        Eat Meat, Build Mass!

Comment

Contact this guy. He might be able to steer you to a good instructor down there. http://www.mattcanovi.com/
                          sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

Originally posted by Hitthegym View Post
                            Cool! I'm going to watch a match in two weeks and decide on a gun to buy. I don't think my CZ compact is going to be competitive, and I want an excuse to buy another gun anyways I'm thinking a G34 to shoot in production. I'd love an STI Spartan, but the .45 just isn't competitive with everyone in Limited 10 handloading .40. So I definitely think staying in production for awhile would be the way to go.
                            If you find out what platform the academy you plan on going to is using that might help with your choice. The G34 would be a good gun to use but keep it simple. Keep it as you will be carrying it. You don't want to do it up like this one and in your first lethal force situation draw and wonder where your little red dot is.

I use a 1911A1 by the way, in the single stack major class with factory ammo and prefer open sights. Everyone on my team that does Lim10 uses a .40 cal 1911 race gun with a 10 rd. extended mag. The only time I see a Glock is when an officer competes, and he always has his duty rig. Expect to go through ~200 rds. a day; some more and some less.
                            Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.

Comment

good choice on the 1911!
                              I also use my 1911 (iron sights) w/my duty gear
                              Chris

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2610 users online. 118 members and 2492 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X