300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springfield XD(m) .40

This is not a 9mm vs .40 vs .45 thread. That horse has been beaten to death multiple times over. Any real shooter knows that shot placement, not caliber, is what really matters.

This is a review of the XD(m) .40 as compared to what I have carried on duty in the past:

GLOCK 34, 22, 21
    S&W M&P .40
    Beretta 92D (dept. issued)

To make this short and sweet, the XDm is, without a doubt, the smoothest shooting pistol out of the above mentioned group. To break this down further...

The GLOCKs typically have a natural "higher" tilt or point of aim. The 21 is not small-medium hand friendly, the 22 has alot of felt recoil, and the 34 is just damn long. They are reliable, battle proven, and ugly as sin. I just do not like GLOCKs for a variety of reasons. I usually shoot left of center, regardless of what model.

The M&P is what replaced my GLOCKs for a while (and currently). It has better ergonomics that the GLOCKs, less felt recoil than the 22, and the all-metal magazines I just prefer over plastic ones. It is a nice gun, but seems "lacking" in some areas.

The Beretta 92D was a joke but I had to mention it because I have carried it on duty when the dept. issued it (they have since started issuing M&P 9mm).

The XDm .40 has better ergonomics than the M&P (far better than the GLOCKs), the match barrel, dual recoil springs, and heavier overall gun weight dramatically reduce the "felt" recoil over the others, you get +1 round over the usual 15 round magazines, and they include all the gadgets like accessory rail, backstraps, ambidextrous releases, etc. This pistol just has the others beat in every single category, hands down.

If you haven't shot one, don't bother trying to flame it because you are a fanboy of something else. Shoot one then flame/praise.
    Last edited by CST2009; 10-08-2009, 11:35 AM. Reason: Staying on topic

That is a pretty sweet gun, I very much like the XD(M) series, and I hope to get the .45 when it comes out. I also completely agree with the Glock aiming high, it's something that I have to adjust to every time that I pick one up, haha.

Anyways...The thing that I noticed about your post was that you started off with:

Originally posted by CST2009 View Post
    This is not a 9mm vs .40 vs .45 thread. That horse has been beaten to death multiple times over. Any real shooter knows that shot placement, not caliber, is what really matters.
    Please don't start your thread off with something like that and then spend half of your "gun review" doing exactly what you said you weren't going to do. The people who like to shoot .45 or 9mm are not going to change their mind because of your department's forensic scientist. Some people just shoot better with a .45 or 9mm, and like you said earlier, shot placement is what's important, not caliber
    Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

I knew that you sounded familiar...

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130481
      Eat Meat, Build Mass!

Comment

the XD is IT! im so spoiled, after i shoot my buddies' glocks, i have a slight cry of relief that i made my choice a springfield. i cant write all that expert analysis that CST posted, but im telling you after 1500 rds, i wouldnt trade it for ANYTHING.

Comment

I don't need to buy one, or even shoot one, to know that it's a no-go as a defensive pistol for my needs. I don't care how it looks....I don't care how good it feels....I don't care how well it shoots. That damned grip safety that locks up the slide if not fully depressed is an unnecessary complication, and a potential point of failure in an emergency when you don't have the perfect grip, but need to get a shot off. I'm sure they are nice range guns.

And being issued the G22 on duty (it's ok...nothing spectacular), and qualified with a Sig, an M&P and a Kahr for off-duty carry, I'm no fanboy of any one brand. Just calling it like I see it.
          Did I fire six shots, or only five?

Comment

Originally posted by K40 View Post
            I don't need to buy one, or even shoot one, to know that it's a no-go as a defensive pistol for my needs. I don't care how it looks....I don't care how good it feels....I don't care how well it shoots. That damned grip safety that locks up the slide if not fully depressed is an unnecessary complication, and a potential point of failure in an emergency when you don't have the perfect grip, but need to get a shot off. I'm sure they are nice range guns.

And being issued the G22 on duty (it's ok...nothing spectacular), and qualified with a Sig, an M&P and a Kahr for off-duty carry, I'm no fanboy of any one brand. Just calling it like I see it.
            I've always had similar concerns about grip safeties, but plenty of people carry 1911s for defensive purposes; how do you feel about those?
            Eat Meat, Build Mass!

Comment

Originally posted by Hitthegym View Post
              I've always had similar concerns about grip safeties, but plenty of people carry 1911s for defensive purposes; how do you feel about those?
              I don't care for 1911s for defensive use, but that could be an entire new thread. It really doesn't have so much to do with the grip safety on a 1911, as it does not lock up the slide when fully depressed and wouldn't interfere with a fumbled reload during the stress of a gunfight. It's more to do with low capacity for such a large and heavy pistol, combined with the finicky reliability that lots of 1911s are famous for. I also don't like unnecessary steps between clearing leather and firing the pistol, like flicking off a safety.

I view guns as tools, mostly. Yes, I'm aware that the 1911 is generally a handsome pistol, but I won't sacrifice reliability and capacity for looks and nostalgia.

Plus, the XD and XDm are the only guns that make the Glock look sleek, IMO....although I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Not to mention the fact that almost NO police officer carries the XD around here as a duty weapon. (Absolutely none that I know of) It's sort of regarded as a "bubba" gun.
              Did I fire six shots, or only five?

Comment

Originally posted by K40 View Post
                I don't care for 1911s for defensive use, but that could be an entire new thread. It really doesn't have so much to do with the grip safety on a 1911, as it does not lock up the slide when fully depressed and wouldn't interfere with a fumbled reload during the stress of a gunfight. It's more to do with low capacity for such a large and heavy pistol, combined with the finicky reliability that lots of 1911s are famous for. I also don't like unnecessary steps between clearing leather and firing the pistol, like flicking off a safety.

I view guns as tools, mostly. Yes, I'm aware that the 1911 is generally a handsome pistol, but I won't sacrifice reliability and capacity for looks and nostalgia.

Plus, the XD and XDm are the only guns that make the Glock look sleek, IMO....although I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Not to mention the fact that almost NO police officer carries the XD around here as a duty weapon. (Absolutely none that I know of) It's sort of regarded as a "bubba" gun.
                Ah okay, I'm very new to 1911s, so I'm trying to learn what I can about them. There also aren't any agencies around here that issue the XD, they're all Glock or Sig.
                Eat Meat, Build Mass!

Comment

I am issued the XDM .40. I am not a fan of the gun. Had some issues at first, and I do not like how it feels in my hands. I do not like the trigger or the grip safety at all.

That said, the gun does point good.

Most people seem to like them.

Comment

I'd be very curious to shoot one. I just, this week, sold off my XD45 Tactical. When I 1st got it, was in love with it, and then the honeymoon wore off. The gun itself is fine, but just didn't fit me right. Was very accurate and reliable, just didn't work for me as well as a, gasp...dare I say it... Glock. I've come to prefer the Glocks blockier grip vs. a more rounded plastic grip. Granted, the Glocks I currently have are 9mm's. I've shot a G30 (very favorably impressed) once, and had a G22 (didn't like it when I had it, didn't like the recoil characteristics,... would be willing to give one a shot again). Would really like to give a G21SF/30SF and S&W M&P45 a whirl.

Also, I do think the feel of Glock's trigger is more pronounced and easier to modulate. I can't believe I just wrote that since I've never been a fan of Glock's trigger and always thought their triggers had the feel of a staple gun, but it does have some positive attributes (very discernable , short and quick reset). I found the XD (non XD-M) trigger smooth after some rounds and dry fire, but mushy w/ a longer and slower reset.
                    Last edited by rauchman; 10-09-2009, 01:35 PM.

Comment

I've got a springfield xd 45 service and a department issued glock 22, and for me, the xd wins in pretty much every category. accuracy, ergonomics, safety, for reliabilty i cant speak as i havent put more than 200 rounds through it but so far, awsomeness

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5806 users online. 331 members and 5475 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X