300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BUG to Compliment XD40

Hypothetically speaking here folks: let's say that an agency that I am interested in working as a reserve for issues the S/A XD40 (only) for duty use. The BUG policy is pretty liberal - the usual "reputable manufacturer", common centerfire calibers, etc.

I like the idea of a BUG that could do double-duty as an off-duty carry and am thinking along the lines of the G23. Too big for a front-pocket carry BUG? Throwing ammo compatibility out the window, I'd likely choose a 642.

Any real reason to choose the G23 over a G19? The sub-C Glocks don't really fit my big mits and the compact XDs seem kinda chunky.

Disclaimer: it is nice to have an "excuse" to buy another pistol

Thanks for your input!

Glock 27??? Or maybe a Kahr...

Comment

XD40 Sub Compact
      I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Originally posted by jmb070106 View Post
        Hypothetically speaking here folks: let's say that an agency that I am interested in working as a reserve for issues the S/A XD40 (only) for duty use. The BUG policy is pretty liberal - the usual "reputable manufacturer", common centerfire calibers, etc.

I like the idea of a BUG that could do double-duty as an off-duty carry and am thinking along the lines of the G23. Too big for a front-pocket carry BUG? Throwing ammo compatibility out the window, I'd likely choose a 642.

Any real reason to choose the G23 over a G19? The sub-C Glocks don't really fit my big mits and the compact XDs seem kinda chunky.

Disclaimer: it is nice to have an "excuse" to buy another pistol

Thanks for your input!
        Have you tried the Sub-c's with the grip extension?

Comment

Originally posted by Maciej View Post
          That's what I was going to suggest. I've got pretty big hands, and the sub compact with extended magazine fits my hand very well.
          Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hitthegym View Post
            That's what I was going to suggest. I've got pretty big hands, and the sub compact with extended magazine fits my hand very well.
            Exactly, that grip extension is quite amazing, with out it when I'm shooting I'm all over the place, with that grip extension I'm shooting small consistent groups with out a problem.

Comment

Exactly, that grip extension is quite amazing, with out it when I'm shooting I'm all over the place, with that grip extension I'm shooting small consistent groups with out a problem.
              Now that I think about it, no matter what the size of your hands, anyone's pinky is going to hang off the end of pretty much any sub compact that I can think of. It's the same deal with the baby glocks, gotta use the grip extension.
              Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

I have not. How does the extension effect concealing the pistol in a pocket or vest holster? If the extension doesn't bulk-up the size too much, I'd consider a G30 (I have a G21SF but would not be able to carry this on duty), G26 or G27.

I suppose an XD-40C would be the most logical choice, wouldn't it? I still have a thing for small revolvers though (wishing I never sold my 640 Centennial).

Comment

The grip extension in my opinion is pretty cool since opposed to the compact versions of the Glock only the side towards the fingers is elongated to provide space for them to grip. On the rear side of the extension there is nothing. Opposed to the actual compact models where that area is still there.

Comment

the compact XDs seem kinda chunky.
                    A BUG is to be comforting, not comfortable.
                    I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Originally posted by KenW. View Post
                      A BUG is to be comforting, not comfortable.
                      More true words have never been spoke. I'll seriously consider one as long as it will fit in a front pants pocket...

Comment

Might I also suggest you check out the Walther PPS as well.

Very thin profile, excellent shooting characteristics, and quite accurate.

Comment

Might I also suggest you check out the Walther PPS as well.
                          $$$ for a mouse gun.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

I'm back to the same "kid in a candy store" dilemma as when I was shopping for a full-sized pistol

From an operational standpoint, the XD40 compact makes a lot of sense. Is this pistol widely accepted amongst police agencies now? S'cuse my ignorance...I'm just now getting back into pistols. Just thinking that if I wind up working somewhere else, I don't want to be "that guy" with the different gun.

Next up as far as my choices would be a G26/27/30. I really need to shoot both the 27 and the 30 to evaluate the recoil.

For funzies, I thought I'd try a S&W M&P 40C. From what I can tell, it has a bit longer (taller? bottom of mag well to slide ratio?) than the Glocks which would help with my large mitts.

If I just can't decide on a semi-automatic pistol for this application, I think I'll just get a S&W Centennial. Can't go wrong with that, right?

Comment

I know I've already posted to this thread twice, but I feel one's safety is important.

When I was on uniformed duty I carried a full-size 1911 with a Defender (3") as backup. It was comforting to have both weapons utilize the same manual of arms, ammunition, and the full-size mags fit the sub-compact.

A sub compact to compliment your full-size XD is the obvious choice.

I own a XD45C in case a future Sheriff prohibits single actions like my 1911s or begins to allow weapon-mounted lights. In that case I sure hope a subcompact XD in 45ACP is available in a few years.

Other than an inherited war trophy (NAZI Hi-Power) I've never owned any auto that's not a 45ACP.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5691 users online. 317 members and 5374 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X