300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glock 17

Any opinions on the Glock 17, I am going to be purchasing one within the next month???
    Nothing worth having comes easy...earn it

Mine is excellent. Its accuracy is actually uncanny. Fantastic pistol, but depending on your needs, the Glock 19 may be a better option.
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

It holds lots of ammo, and it works well. Controls are too small.
      Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

There's a trigger, and a mag release. The slide stop just locks it open, the slide is plenty big to grip and release.

If you truly feel the mag release is too small, there is an oversized mag release button on the secondary market.

If you truly feel the slide stop is supposed to be a slide release, there is an aftermarket extended slide release available.

if you truly feel that the trigger is too small... Well, maybe you should just get another pistol in this case.
        J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jwise View Post
          There's a trigger, and a mag release. The slide stop just locks it open, the slide is plenty big to grip and release.

If you truly feel the mag release is too small, there is an oversized mag release button on the secondary market.

If you truly feel the slide stop is supposed to be a slide release, there is an aftermarket extended slide release available.

if you truly feel that the trigger is too small... Well, maybe you should just get another pistol in this case.
          I know these parts are available because my complaints are not unusual, but I am issued one (actually a G22) and am not allowed modify it.

The small slide release is a problem when I disassemble the weapon. It is not easy to get the slide to lock back. The trigger safety is very narrow and blisters why index finger when I fire 500 rounds in a day. And the magazine release is annoying small and feels too much like the grips.
          Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Well if you gotta get a plastic, err polymer pistol, the Glocks are my favorite.
            The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

You could do a helluva lot worse for a duty pistol. Among people who carry weapons on a daily basis many more will respect and like the Glock platform than not. For price, durability, weight, mag capacity, parts availability ect. you cant get better than a Glock.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                I know these parts are available because my complaints are not unusual, but I am issued one (actually a G22) and am not allowed modify it.

The small slide release is a problem when I disassemble the weapon. It is not easy to get the slide to lock back.
                Well, here's your first problem. You shouldn't even BE locking the slide back to disassemble the weapon. There's no need.

Originally posted by DAL
                The trigger safety is very narrow and blisters why index finger when I fire 500 rounds in a day.
                Maybe too much or too little finger being used here. I've heard people complain about this and getting a blister. Personally, we fire 500 rounds plus in a training day on the entry team, have never had one or seen any team member suffer one of these.

Originally posted by DAL
                And the magazine release is annoying small and feels too much like the grips.
                Again, something else that's being used for what it's NOT. It's actually a magazine "catch."

I figure once people actually figure out what these parts actually are, they shouldn't have too much of a problem.
                Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Just my $0.02 as a Glock newbie:

After recently purchasing my G21SF (.45ACP), a buddy of mine just HAD to have a Glock. However, he has several 9mm pistols already so from a financial, ammo compatibility standpoint, a 9mm Glock made more sense.

For the past three weeks we've taken our usual Sunday trip to the range and we trade off. I am used to firing an Beretta 92SF and S&W M-5904. I cannot believe how much better I shoot the G17...not sure if it is the grip angle, sights, etc. I am also amazed at the recoil management (for me at least). Again, not sure why the felt recoil is less (again, a personal point of view) than my other pistols (less reciprocal mass? jwise? anyone?) but I seem to be able to re-acquire the target much quicker with the Glock over my other 9mm pistols.

I like my friend's G17 so much, I just might have to get one (but I'll likely wind up with a G19).

As they say, YMMV...

Comment

Originally posted by towncop View Post
                    Well, here's your first problem. You shouldn't even BE locking the slide back to disassemble the weapon. There's no need.

Maybe too much or too little finger being used here. I've heard people complain about this and getting a blister. Personally, we fire 500 rounds plus in a training day on the entry team, have never had one or seen any team member suffer one of these.

Again, something else that's being used for what it's NOT. It's actually a magazine "catch."

I figure once people actually figure out what these parts actually are, they shouldn't have too much of a problem.

I was with you until the part about the magazine catch not being what it is. Actually, it is a magazine release button. You can't drop the mag any other way. You have to push that button, there are no other options.

Comment

Thank you guys for all of the information. I trust the opinions on here more than anywhere else because I do not think that any of you are paid to come on her and tell people what they want to hear. Once again, thank you all.
                      Nothing worth having comes easy...earn it

Comment

The Glock has less felt recoil because of its grip angle and the ability to "choke up" so high on the slide. This reduces the "bore axis" height of the pistol, making upward recoil less severe.

The only reason my finger hurts at the end of the day is from LOADING magazines, not emptying them!
                        J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jwise View Post
                          The Glock has less felt recoil because of its grip angle and the ability to "choke up" so high on the slide. This reduces the "bore axis" height of the pistol, making upward recoil less severe.
                          Thanks for that explanation!

The only reason my finger hurts at the end of the day is from LOADING magazines, not emptying them!
                          Ha! True dat!

Comment

Just throwing my opinion in.

I like Glocks in theory. A consistent and decent weight trigger pull. Simple design. A certain degree of magazine compaitibility within the same caliber family. CHEAP! You can't beat $398 for a pistol.

But, for me, I can't shoot the damn things. I can maintain a reasonable degree of precision and speed, but after 100 rounds, my hands are hurting. The plastic grip and front checkering really dig into my fingers. But, I can't grip the gun well and I have to adjust. After 200 rounds, I get a blister from that trigger safety. The new RTF frames feel a lot better, but I haven't gotten a chance to shoot one. I still need to deal with the trigger safety. The Springfield XD does the same thing to my finger. And I hate the grip angle.

Conversely, I can shoot a 1911 all day long with very little fatigue.

Comment

1911s chew the webbing of my hand closest to my thumb. It's the thumb safety. I ride it, because I have bear-paws for hands (I guess!?) Part of the problem is the high-cut beavertail grip safeties.

I choose to wear gloves when I am shooting a LOT, and it saves the wear and tear on my hands. I started wearing gloves mostly because of rifle shooting. Gloves, long-sleeves and long pants! The last thing you want is a hot barrel touching exposed skin!
                              J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4621 users online. 269 members and 4352 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X