300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duty Ammo Life Expectancy?

How often should one swap out their duty ammo? I assume the ammo in your duty gun and on your duty belt has a shorter life due to it being exposed to the outside world, elements, and temperature changes. In the past my department has swapped it out every couple years. Also, how long can properly stored duty ammo be reliable enough to trust you life with? I’m sure this topic has been covered elsewhere so posting a link will be just as helpful.

Once a year during semi annual qualifications. At least that's what they tell us.
    Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

my buddy's department switches it out every year. they get to shoot all of their issued ammo and then get issued new ammo.
      If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
      Thomas Jefferson

Comment

We shoot our duty ammo at our qual yearly and replace it with new ammo until the next year.
        "Character is someone you are when no one is watching."

Comment

Ours is replaced annually. I'm thinking that is more for making us feel good than actual need. There are instabces of bullets being forced down into the case from repeated loading and unloading and causing problems. I have never seen it though.
          The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

My current agency has us shoot old duty ammo every other year during qualification. I've got some old JHP ammo from the 80's that I would trust every bit as much as brand new ammo. It has been sealed in water tight ammunition cans with moisture absorber bags.

Comment

Ours is changed every six months. Yup, all 24 rounds.
              You wanna practice? Go to Walmart and buy your own ammo, my department doesn't supply practice ammo.

Comment

At every quarterly qualification. Sometimes sooner. No ammo / budget issues.
                The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Yearly here.
                  Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

I was issued ammo in 1990, and fired it for the 2007 fall qualification...
                    I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Ours is annually.

I have the guys shoot their last year's issue at the session where I am issuing the new duty ammo, then they get their new load.
                      The opinions expressed here are from the individual only and do not represent the view of any agency that the poster may be affiliated with

Comment

my dept qualifies twice a year, so we shoot what we carry each time and get new ammo two times a year. Normally March or April and then again Oct-Nov

Comment

Yearly. They dont let us shoot it, though. It gets turned in.
                          There are no extraordinary men... just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with.
                          William Halsey

Comment

Originally posted by LASD6833 View Post
                            Yearly. They dont let us shoot it, though. It gets turned in.
                            I would start marking them. I bet they are simply playing round robin with the ammo, and that what was yours is now someone else's.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
                            - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

Originally posted by SCV-Sop View Post
                              I would start marking them. I bet they are simply playing round robin with the ammo, and that what was yours is now someone else's.
                              Yeah, no kidding! Kinda like marking the bottom of a "fresh" oyster shell.....
                              There are no extraordinary men... just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with.
                              William Halsey

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2799 users online. 156 members and 2643 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X