Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New SPR finished!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New SPR finished!

    I finally finished my Special Purpose Rifle (SPR) build. I had been running a Daniel Defense 16" barrel while I was waiting on the Noveske 18" Stainless Steel SPR barrel. Well the Noveske finally showed up the other day and I finished up the rifle. I added a paint job to some pieces including the barrel. I will get out to shoot it either Monday or Tuesday.

    Here are the specs for the SPR

    Lower
    - Noveske N4, E marked lower
    - Armalite LPK
    - RRA two stage (worked)
    - A2 style Stock
    - Magpul BAD
    - Ergo Suregrip

    Upper
    - Colt upper receiver
    - Colt M16 BCG
    - Noveske 18" SPR barrel, Stainless Steel, 1:7.
    - Smith Vortex FH
    - Troy MRF-RX 13.8" FF rail
    - American Defense Recon-X QD scope mount
    - Swarovski Habicht 10X scope
    - Amercian Defense QD bipod adapter
    - Harris bipod
    - Surefire X300
    - Magpul Back Up sights
    - Magpul rail covers
    - Wilson tac latch



    The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

    Surfs Up on youtube!

    Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

  • #2
    That's slick... I'm surprised that you went with a fixed power scope on a rifle like this (especially a fixed 10X.) Do you plan to use it for work, or is this just for personal use?
    Last edited by jwise; 10-05-2009, 07:55 AM.
    J. Wise

    AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

    "Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

    Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      How much was the American Defense scope mount? When I priced them, it wasn't much cheaper than the LaRue, so I went with what I already knew and loved.

      ETA: I just saw that Bravo Company now sells the American Defense mounts, and they have special pricing which puts it $35 cheaper than the LaRue. The fact the BCM is selling it, seems to be a good indication that it is probably GTG...and $35 is nothing to sneeze at.
      Last edited by jwise; 10-05-2009, 07:53 AM.
      J. Wise

      AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

      "Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

      Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Very nice rifle. You will LOVE the barrel.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jwise View Post
          That's slick... I'm surprised that you went with a fixed power scope on a rifle like this (especially a fixed 10X.) Do you plan to use it for work, or is this just for personal use?
          The scope was in my "parts box" and is temporary. It is a fantastic scope, but you are right, I need a low power variable, but more than a short dot. I am looking in the 2.5x - 10x or so range. I have my eye on a couple, but the wallet is not ready for it yet.

          Originally posted by jwise View Post
          How much was the American Defense scope mount? When I priced them, it wasn't much cheaper than the LaRue, so I went with what I already knew and loved.

          ETA: I just saw that Bravo Company now sells the American Defense mounts, and they have special pricing which puts it $35 cheaper than the LaRue. The fact the BCM is selling it, seems to be a good indication that it is probably GTG...and $35 is nothing to sneeze at.
          The one I have is the new Recon X which is a bit more expensive than the Recon. Noveske also uses and sells them. Noveske and BCM charge the suggested retail of $189 for it. If you can get LE pricing from DSG Arms I got it for $156. DSGArms has some really great LE pricing. This seems to be one heck of a rugged built mount. Same with the QD bipod adapter. Really liking the Amer Def. products.

          Originally posted by LongCut View Post
          Very nice rifle. You will LOVE the barrel.
          Your not kidding. It was shooting an easy .75MOA today.
          The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

          Surfs Up on youtube!

          Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

          Comment


          • #6
            The AD mounting system seems like good kit. Excellent pricing from DSG!

            As for the scope, I like your thoughts! After some looking around, and trying out some different scopes, I finally settled on the 2.5-10X for my SPR-ish rifle:



            The Nikon Monarch was just what I was looking for. Excellent quality, the ability to upgrade to target turrets in the future, 2.5-10X variable power, and under $400 (just barely!) I didn't see the need to spend gobs of money on this scope, as it will most likely never be used to defend against zombies or the like. However, even if it were, the Monarch is still an excellent scope worthy of going up against zombies any day of the week!

            I was curious if your SPR will be used for duty, or if you were just putting something together that you just wanted in the inventory? What medium power variable scopes were you looking at?
            J. Wise

            AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

            "Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

            Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Surf View Post
              I finally finished my Special Purpose Rifle (SPR) build. I had been running a Daniel Defense 16" barrel while I was waiting on the Noveske 18" Stainless Steel SPR barrel. Well the Noveske finally showed up the other day and I finished up the rifle. I added a paint job to some pieces including the barrel. I will get out to shoot it either Monday or Tuesday.

              Here are the specs for the SPR

              Lower
              - Noveske N4, E marked lower
              - Armalite LPK
              - RRA two stage (worked)
              - A2 style Stock
              - Magpul BAD
              - Ergo Suregrip

              Upper
              - Colt upper receiver
              - Colt M16 BCG
              - Noveske 18" SPR barrel, Stainless Steel, 1:7.
              - Smith Vortex FH
              - Troy MRF-RX 13.8" FF rail
              - American Defense Recon-X QD scope mount
              - Swarovski Habicht 10X scope
              - Amercian Defense QD bipod adapter
              - Harris bipod
              - Surefire X300
              - Magpul Back Up sights
              - Magpul rail covers
              - Wilson tac latch



              Looks awesome, good luck with it! That is basically the same idea that I had when I built my CMMG earlier this year. I want to put some real glass on it when my budget permits.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jwise View Post
                The AD mounting system seems like good kit. Excellent pricing from DSG!

                As for the scope, I like your thoughts! After some looking around, and trying out some different scopes, I finally settled on the 2.5-10X for my SPR-ish rifle:



                The Nikon Monarch was just what I was looking for. Excellent quality, the ability to upgrade to target turrets in the future, 2.5-10X variable power, and under $400 (just barely!) I didn't see the need to spend gobs of money on this scope, as it will most likely never be used to defend against zombies or the like. However, even if it were, the Monarch is still an excellent scope worthy of going up against zombies any day of the week!

                I was curious if your SPR will be used for duty, or if you were just putting something together that you just wanted in the inventory? What medium power variable scopes were you looking at?
                I wanted a good SPR, however I intend to use it for duty. It will be a limited use rifle only when I deploy in a sniper/observer capacity. Currently observers use the ACOG / Doc Optic set up on the gas gun, but I will deploy this gas gun with my bolt rifle. Need to qual with it still.

                As for optics I have been looking at
                Leupold Mark IV 2.5-8 or 3.5-10
                Nightforce 2.5-10.
                IOR 1.5-8 or 2.5-10
                US Optic 1.8-10
                The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

                Surfs Up on youtube!

                Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

                Comment


                • #9
                  I was able to get out and shoot the new rifle with the new Noveske 18" SPR, stainless, 1:7 barrel. First off according to Noveske, over the phone, and according to the instructions that came with the barrel, no break in was needed.

                  Monday 10/5, I took the rifle to the range and I punched the barrel with a wet patch then dry patched it prior to my first shot. I let it sit for about 1/2 hour while doing some other shooting before sending the first shot downrange. I had only brought Federal Tactical TRU .223, 55gr, Hi-Shok SP ammo. From experience with 1:7's, this is not bad ammo, but not the best choice.

                  I really had no cold bore shot as I got rounds on paper and then started zeroing on the 1st target below.I shot the target counter clockwise as numbered, and ended up in the middle square.

                  Wind was minimal 2-3, full value.
                  Temp around 84*
                  Humidity - pretty darn muggy.

                  This is Mondays target with the Federal ammo. My digital calipers battery was down, but the boxes are 1" square, with a dime for reference. I adjusted for zero on groups 1-4 and 4-5 remained the same. I noted that the Federal 55gr liked to give me a flyer, which seems to be common for me in the 55gr out of the 1:7, at least that is my excuse. Overall I was really impressed with the barrel, and it was easily shooting sub 1MOA, and without the flyers, had easy potential for .75MOA or better.



                  Went back to the range again today, Tuesday 10/6. Took a box of Hornady TAP, .223, 75gr BTHP ammo. Again from past experience, I knew that this Hornady TAP has done quite well for me out of 1:7's and I was looking forward to it. I took a true cold bore, first shot, then completed two 4 round groups. I had only planned to shoot a couple groups to verify zero, then try to accumulate dope out to distance. Again I only had 1 box of the Hornady, but I will have to go back out with more and continue to log groups. The Hornady shot very very well, and quite frankly didn't think the gas gun would shoot a group like the second one. For comparison, I put a .308 round in the same paster as the first group.

                  Wind = none
                  Temp around 86*
                  Humidity - pretty darn muggy.

                  Now from my non-calibrated ruler, from the second group, I get .5 inches outside to outside, minus .223 = While this is a bit early to say anything, and the amount of data isn't great, but I think it is safe to say that this rifle loves the Hornady ammo.

                  The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

                  Surfs Up on youtube!

                  Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Very nice...

                    I considered the Leupold, but 2.5-8X vs. 2.5-10X was an easy decision. The other options you listed were outside of my price range.

                    The US Optics 1.8-10X would give you a greater range of magnification, but for my needs, I don't plan to use anything lower than 3X (that is the magnification necessary to blur-out the front sight post, which I like to keep on all my rifles.)
                    J. Wise

                    AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

                    "Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

                    Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I like the magnification range also. In an SPR, for flexible up close CQB work, I really like a low power optic for tube type of optic (scope). The lower the better, which is why I also like the USO, but it is pricey. And you are correct about the FSP, which is why for myself, since I like the low magnification, I really need to run an SPR without a FSP. I am actually considering keeping the Swarovski because it is damn good glass, and going with an offset mounted mini red-dot for CQB work. Something like the Doc Optic or the Aimpoint T1.
                      The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

                      Surfs Up on youtube!

                      Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        very nice.........
                        SOON----GLOCK 23
                        REMINGTON 870 POLICE PUMP-TACTICAL
                        SMITH&WESSON 642 AIRWEIGHT....5+P
                        RUGER LCP .380 W CT LASER SIGHT

                        SOON:
                        S&W M&P 15-22

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Do you feel that the lack of exposed turrets will be an issue?



                          Oh, and your boom stick is lame. Send it to me for immediate disposal.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by 11b101abn View Post
                            Do you feel that the lack of exposed turrets will be an issue?
                            As for the turrets not really. They are not as simple as an exposed tactical style turret, but when the rifle comes out of the bag the turret covers come off. In reality, I really didn't intend this scope to be permanent, it was just a scope that I already had. The Swarovski scope is fantastic, but it is a fixed 10 power and I really need lower end adjustable. However this scope is so good that I have been contemplating a fixed dot sight such as a Doc Optic or an Aimpoint T1, with an offset mount to make it CQB friendly as opposed to an adjustable magnified scope.

                            Something similar to this.


                            The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

                            Surfs Up on youtube!

                            Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The gun is beautiful.. have i told you my displeasure towards both of you and your awesome pieces...

                              I think that those complaining about the M16/M4 platform are right and you should dispose of them all immediately.. I will PM my addy to ensure this is completed promptly...
                              Hoping to get picked up when I return from Iraq

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 5296 users online. 285 members and 5011 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X