300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappointed with Springfield 1911A1

I recently sold my Springfield Armory GI model .45 as it was not an accurate pistol. Compared to my Glock 26 and Beretta M9, it shot terrible shot groups and the sights were tiny. Yes, I actually like the Beretta.Never had a jam or misfire and it shoots well.
    Anyone else disappointed with a Springfield 45?
    If I had the money, I'd go ahead and get a Colt series 70 Government model, but $850 plus, it's a little out of my budget.

It's a GI model. They weren't made to be precision handguns, just good enough and plenty of them. I'll be replacing the GI sights on my Rock Island when I do a graduation overhaul on the pistol. The trigger was probably also not terribly great -- the trigger on my Rock isn't bad, but compared to a well-tuned 1911 it's terrible and prompts me to drag my shots left (too much sympathetic pressure in my other fingertips).

For what it's worth, the sights are par for the course with other Browning pistols of that era, and the trigger's a far sight better than the Tokarev

If that's the only 1911 you've tried, pick up an updated build (STI Spartan, Kimber, or the like) and give it a test drive.
    Last edited by TimK; 10-01-2009, 06:38 PM.
    **Not a LEO**

Comment

My Springfield is pretty accurate.

Disregard the .22lr holes
      J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

I have a Springfield Champion 1911 and it is accurate as all get out. I almost out-shot my friend who was shooting his Sig P220 and mine is a compact.

Comment

Originally posted by HEDP View Post

I have a Springfield Champion 1911 and it is accurate as all get out. I almost out-shot my friend who was shooting his Sig P220 and mine is a compact.

...your friend CAN'T shoot...period.OUT the box? Stock ( not customized), no WAY a 1911 is going to perform better than a SIG...
          "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38 View Post
            ...no WAY a 1911 is going to perform better than a SIG...
            Are you kidding?
            Last edited by jwise; 10-02-2009, 09:28 AM.
            J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Sounds like you didn't know what you were getting when you bought it.

Lots of people want a 1911. Many of them are infatuated with the SA brand (and for good reason.) Then they see the G.I. model, its low price, so they run to the register with it while 'oohing' and 'aahing' at the price of a venerable 1911.

Know what you're getting when you buy something and you won't be upset at its performance. The G.I. specs are almost 100 years old. They're made for fighting in mud, blood and snow. Think trench warfare in the early part of the 20th century. There was absolutely no reason for any type of supreme accuracy. Run through the trench, point and squeeze, that's it.

If you're looking for pistols with surgical precision in a 1911 platform, you'll need to spend double what you paid for the GI model.
              NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Or you can spend $400.00 to $500.00 on a modern pistol and be just as, or more accurate.

Springfield Armory has a great pistol called the XD-M. Accurate as hell. I believe it has the same grip angle as the 1911, and doesn't seem to jam, rust, misfire, and has twice the magazine capacity as a 1911.

I believe they are working on coming out with a .45, and i would be surprised if it didn't carry more than 8 rounds.
                Be safe pulling back into the thread...
                http://infidelswithhonor.com/

Comment

Try a Springfield Loaded. Its incredibly accurate.
                  I miss you, Dave.
                  http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

...your friend CAN'T shoot...period.OUT the box? Stock ( not customized), no WAY a 1911 is going to perform better than a SIG...

O, I'm sure he can shoot.

And I'm not to bad with a pistol either.

Comment

no WAY a 1911 is going to perform better than a SIG...

Sigs are great, but the slimmer grip and consistent trigger of a 1911 means I shoot them better than a Sig.

Comment

Hmm strange what about those like myself who carry a SIG 1911?
                        People grow through experience, if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

Comment

You, sir, would be an oxymoron.

No insult intended.
                          NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

TIMK,
                            Where can you find a rock island 45 these days????
                            "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                            The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                            sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
                            Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

I have the stock GI .45 and it shoots quite well. I used it in competition and usually do fair with it (I'm new to it and some of these guys compete nationally for the last 20-30 years). I borrowed a Lim.10 race 1911 from a friend for one competition and got my worst score of the year. I had no problem getting double hits on a silhouette at 30 yards with my GI .45.
                              Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4620 users online. 259 members and 4361 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X