300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.7mm stopping power

Last edited by ryker; 03-29-2012, 08:08 AM.
    Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

And THAT is why I don't advocate for the 5.7X28.

I look forward to hearing how your other calibers fair.

My only terminal ballistics testing have been on a small doe and a large wild hog. The deer was hit in the heart/lungs and dropped 20yds from where she was hit. Target distance: 200yds.

I hit the hog in the head and it dropped where he stood. Target distance: 30yds.

Rifle: Bushmaster 16" HBAR w/ Nikon Buckmaster 4-14X scope
    Caliber: .223rem
    Ammunition: Winchester Ranger 69gr BTHP
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ryker View Post
      I've been a fan of the 5.7mm as a good alternative from the common pistol and sub gun calibers.

I've shot one deer and dropped it with one shot. But last night after a wreck I had to take down a wounded deer. At close range I put one round in the center of the vitals. And she was still head up looking around again one more to the center of vitals and again she looked at me again one more round with the same results.. I did wait a slight bit between round but didn't want the animal to suffer from gun shots and hit by a car.

It was time for shift change otherwise I would have examined for exit rounds.

So one round to the head and she was out of service. 10-7

We get a lot of deer car hits over the next two months so I will be able to use different calibers.
      Where you using off the civilian ammo or the LEO/Military round?

I've read the civilian version is not a great stopper the LEO/MIL round is better but not sure how it fairs against other calibers.

Comment

The 5.7 was made to punch through armor. None of the rounds expand well due to this, so unless the deer is wearing Kevlar I would say it would not do well for putting down an animal.
        Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

You should have put the first round in it's head and saved yourself 3rds.

Comment

Originally posted by jwise View Post
            And THAT is why I don't advocate for the 5.7X28.

I look forward to hearing how your other calibers fair.

My only terminal ballistics testing have been on a small doe and a large wild hog. The deer was hit in the heart/lungs and dropped 20yds from where she was hit. Target distance: 200yds.

I hit the hog in the head and it dropped where he stood. Target distance: 30yds.

Rifle: Bushmaster 16" HBAR w/ Nikon Buckmaster 4-14X scope
            Caliber: .223rem
            Ammunition: Winchester Ranger 69gr BTHP
            J,
            How is that 69 grain ranger as far as accuracy in your rifle?
            I just got 400 rounds, my agency bought it for my upcoming precision rifle class on my recommendation. I ordered the 69 grain because I have shot other 69 grain loads in my rifle and they shot very well.
            Finally got it in, went to the range and fired a 3.75" 5 round group with my SPS tactical, which is capable of 1/2 MOA. There did not appear to be an equipment problem or a shooter problem, I fired 3 other sub-moa groups in the same range session with different ammo. After 10 rounds, I gave up. Now, I'm stuck with ammo that will not serve its intended function.
            Last edited by fdkay; 10-02-2009, 04:06 PM.

Comment

What kind of ammo did you get?

My Winchester Ranger 69gr BTHP is pretty accurate:

J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

This is what it says on the box: Winchester Ranger .223 Rem Match 69 grain hollow point boattail RA223M, Lot# 74BD21LOT1.

To say the least, I am VERY disappointed.
                Hopefully, it will shoot well out of my Dad's FP10. I'll use it for the class and requalify with some Hornady 75 grain with my rifle.

Comment

WOW! What's your barrel's twist rate?
                  J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

1 in 9.

Have no problems stabilizing the 75 grain hornady and have shot the nosler custom competition 69 grain and SMK 69 grain with great success.

Comment

Well geez! I guess you have no other choice than to ship it to me! I'll "dispose" of it for you...
                      J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ryker View Post
                        I've been a fan of the 5.7mm as a good alternative from the common pistol and sub gun calibers.

I've shot one deer and dropped it with one shot. But last night after a wreck I had to take down a wounded deer. At close range I put one round in the center of the vitals. And she was still head up looking around again one more to the center of vitals and again she looked at me again one more round with the same results.. I did wait a slight bit between round but didn't want the animal to suffer from gun shots and hit by a car.

It was time for shift change otherwise I would have examined for exit rounds.

So one round to the head and she was out of service. 10-7

We get a lot of deer car hits over the next two months so I will be able to use different calibers.
                        I'm puzzled why you didn't do a headshot in the first place?
                        sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

Originally posted by zeplin View Post
                          I'm puzzled why you didn't do a headshot in the first place?
                          This is also in my mind. You wasted three needless rounds and induced more suffering. The CNS responds in the same way for animals as well as humans, shooting the deer in "its vitals" is only assuring that it will eventually die and can be tracked. Seeing as how the animal is already down and suffering, headshot would be the only way to go.
                          People grow through experience, if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

Comment

The terms FN57 and 'stopping power' dont belong in the same sentence.....the round has around the same terminal ballistics as a .22 magnum.....

While it has its uses with the proper ammo; it is not something I would stake my life on, unless I had no other choice in hardware.
                            The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by jwise View Post
                              Well geez! I guess you have no other choice than to ship it to me! I'll "dispose" of it for you...
                              I asked my Dad to shoot a couple groups with his FP10. He managed a couple of sub-moa groups (only had 10 rounds).

Murphy loves me.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3040 users online. 177 members and 2863 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X