300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improving Shooting

I am looking for any suggestion on trying to improve my shooting (i.e. articles, videos, techniques, etc..).

I shoot right handed, but I am left eye dominant. My shooting is alright, but I am always looking to improve it.

Any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time and suggestions!

Be safe out there!

Find a local shooting coach or enroll in a professional shooting school.

It will be money well spent.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
    8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

I like the Gabe Suarez classes, http://www.suarezinternationalstore.com/

I also like local guys in Omaha, http://www.signal88security.com/training/

Some classes can be too expensive for the average joe, some are closed out of non LE/military which leaves me out.

Not knowing where the Midwest is specifically, there is ususally something close with not too far of a drive.

I have taken classes in the IPSC/IDPA realm but prefer actual fighting type classes, then practice those techniques durring IDPA rather than worrying about the best way to play the IDPA game.

Comment

I'm also right handed and am left eye dominant. Personally I like to shoot isosceles stance, both eyes open. For me having one eye closed just doesn't feel right and the only time I close my right eye is to help focus my left eye better.

Try doing some dry firing exercises at home and focus on trigger control. The idea is to have only fingertip on the trigger and to pull the trigger back nice and slow. You want the gun to surprise you when it goes off. Do this over and over for a good five or ten minutes a night. When at the range and actually putting rounds down range, hold the trigger back after the gun fires and slowly let the trigger reset until you hear/feel it reset. Then repeat the slow trigger press and the slow reset.

Also sight alignment and sight picture are key. Align your sights so that the top of the front sight lines up with the top of the rear sight. Don't bring your head down to the gun, but rather bring the gun up to your eye level.

**Note: I am a beginner level shoot and the above is how I have been taught how to shoot and it has worked wonders for me. If any of the more experienced shooters have any critiques or additions feel free to correct me.**
        This show is awesome, wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

Comment

Video's etc are OK to learn drill / theory, however it is very hard to self diagnose and correct issues. So as others have mentioned a shooting coach / good instruction is hard to beat.
          The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

I was ADAMANT that I had no need for a coach. I shot well (better than most) on the range. I shot well in IPSC competitions. I shot well in department qualifications (consistently scored in the highest bracket: Pistol Master). I shot well in IDPA matches.

Then I went to a rifle school. During transition drills, my coach observed me shooting my pistol and made a few suggestions. WOW! He was able to diagnose what I was doing wrong nearly instantaneously! With all those repetitions under my belt doing it wrong all those years, it took a while for me to get those "good practices" ingrained. Wish I would have done it sooner!

I feel I am even a better shooter now because of a very short coaching session. The lessons were reinforced with both pistol shooting and rifle shooting over the course of that training class, and it made me a better rifle shooter as well.

What did I learn? Trigger control and follow through. All those years I thought I WAS practicing good trigger control and follow through, but it took a coach to see what I was doing and fix it. Without him, I never would have self-diagnosed.
            J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

So I guess my point its, I concur with Surf. The books/videos may help you LEARN how to shoot correctly, but it will take a coach/instructor to observe you and critique your method.

Since you will want to go to a class at some point, may as well do it sooner than later!
              J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by -Erik- View Post
                I'm also right handed and am left eye dominant. Personally I like to shoot isosceles stance, both eyes open. For me having one eye closed just doesn't feel right and the only time I close my right eye is to help focus my left eye better.

Try doing some dry firing exercises at home and focus on trigger control. The idea is to have only fingertip on the trigger and to pull the trigger back nice and slow. You want the gun to surprise you when it goes off. Do this over and over for a good five or ten minutes a night. When at the range and actually putting rounds down range, hold the trigger back after the gun fires and slowly let the trigger reset until you hear/feel it reset. Then repeat the slow trigger press and the slow reset.

Also sight alignment and sight picture are key. Align your sights so that the top of the front sight lines up with the top of the rear sight. Don't bring your head down to the gun, but rather bring the gun up to your eye level.

**Note: I am a beginner level shoot and the above is how I have been taught how to shoot and it has worked wonders for me. If any of the more experienced shooters have any critiques or additions feel free to correct me.**
                I'm the same way with eye dom/stance. I shoot the same way, and I have really good results too.
                "Character is someone you are when no one is watching."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4862 users online. 254 members and 4608 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X