300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firing range

Damn it sure is fun to shoot guns everyday for a week...tomorrow and Thursday we will be there for 13 hours.

One thing I need to work on is the prone position from 25yards away. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Prov1x; 09-29-2009, 05:51 PM. Reason: yards not feet
    yeah!

Pistol or rifle?
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
    8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

oops...9mm pistol.
      yeah!

Comment

Why are you working on 25yard prone?

The only time I am going to be on the ground when fighting with a handgun is if I got knocked down or I am shooting under a car. Supported standing is a much better option if greater precision is required. Getting down and getting up costs time that you don't have if the badguy is only 25 yards away.
        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post

The only time I am going to be on the ground when fighting with a handgun is if I got knocked down or I am shooting under a car. Supported standing is a much better option if greater precision is required. Getting down and getting up costs time that you don't have if the badguy is only 25 yards away.
          +1
          What Is A Veteran?
          A 'Veteran,' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is 'someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post

Hell, I don't know..ask the Justice Academy lol. Have to go prone and standing from 25 yards.
            yeah!

Comment

I'm going to assume you mean 25 yards. Dry-fire at home. Focus on maintaining sight alignment and smooth trigger control.

Have a friend balance a coin on the end or your gun and dry-fire without letting the coin fall off.

Remember to focus on the front sight and not the target.

Comment

Get LOW! Rest your strong arm/hand on the ground. Aim; fire.

Or, rest your elbows on the ground, and keep the pistol butt off the ground. Push that pistol out as far as you can, so that the sights are smaller (more accurate.)
                J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Something that always helped me was when I got into the prone position, get your sights situated as well as you can so that your sights are set in that position without stressing your arms to hold the gun there. As jwise stated, get your pistol out there as far as you can and your elbows should be planted on the ground. Take your time getting set up, you have one minute, which is alot longer than it seems for twelve rounds. When you fire the weapon, your sights should fall right back into place. A smooth, steady pull and you should be alright.
                  "...Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Comment

position position

get into position and close your eyes. breath then open. If your not in a natural position move your body and repeat. You want to use as little muscle as possible. make notes about your positions - ie right leg in body at 20 degrees from target.... So you can repeat the position and duplicate the accuracy.
                    Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

I found it better to lay more on my right side than my stomach. Right arm extended, head on my right shoulder sighting along my arm and down the sights, pistol at a 45deg angle. It is much steadier than regular prone.

Comment

Originally posted by GGG View Post
                        I found it better to lay more on my right side than my stomach. Right arm extended, head on my right shoulder sighting along my arm and down the sights, pistol at a 45deg angle. It is much steadier than regular prone.
                        That's very close to what I was shown, and how I shot pistol at prone (50yds). I don't think I hold my pistol at 45 deg, but that might help.
                        J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

I sneak my support hand down as low as I can go and use is as support between the base of the grip and the ground.

I don't want anyone to take my comments the wrong way. It is important to know how to shoot from any position you may find your body in. HOWEVER it's also important that qualifications and combat drills are based on reality.

At 25 yards your butt better be moving.

Comment

I agree. Once a year we shot prone from the 50yd line, just to expose it to us. It wasn't "taught" as proper tactics.
                            J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

Aim low they are riding Shetlands.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6275 users online. 359 members and 5916 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X