300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopping for Rail System

I bought myself an AR-15 recently and was wondering what the difference was between the more expensive rails vs the cheaper ones? For example I found the Mako Quad Rail Handguard for about $120, where the Daniel Defense version is around $300. Both are made out of "aircraft grade aluminum." Is this something I can go cheaper on or should I spend more?

You can't go wrong with DD.

I haven't used the Mako system so I can't say much other than "i wouldn't"
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
    8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Or you could go with UTG, and notice one day that there's a shiny bit of unparkerized, flat steel where once sat a rail that held your expensive toys
      **Not a LEO**

Comment

I have Magpul rails on my M&P-15. I love them, and they're only like 30 bucks. Never had ANY issues with them.

I can take a picture if you'd like.

Comment

Look at Daniel Defense OMEGA rail, or the Troy Industries MRF-C.
          J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jwise View Post
            Look at Daniel Defense OMEGA rail, or the Troy Industries MRF-C.
            I checked out the Troy Industries website, they are a little more affordable. Thanks for the direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzination View Post
              I have Magpul rails on my M&P-15. I love them, and they're only like 30 bucks. Never had ANY issues with them.

I can take a picture if you'd like.
              That would be cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
                You can't go wrong with DD.

I haven't used the Mako system so I can't say much other than "i wouldn't"
                Anyone reading this own a Mako? If so, how do you like it?

Comment

If you want a cheap rail system that will not hold an optic, then take a look at the Magpul MOE handguard and applicable rail sections. That is the route I am going for my duty rifle's VFG and light.
                  "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                  8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

If you want a cheap rail system that will not hold an optic, then take a look at the Magpul MOE handguard and applicable rail sections. That is the route I am going for my duty rifle's VFG and light.
                    That's what I did for a vertical foregrip. I may get optics in the future but since I can get 1/2 my rounds in a 4 inch circle at 100 yrds I can wait.
                    Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.

Comment

Thanks. I think I might get that one for now to hold me over. At this point in time I'm only looking to mount the same things as you. Plus a $300 rail system is a hard sell to the wife these days. Especially after dropping $1500 on a rifle (bought a Colt LE6920).

Comment

When I wanted a light on my AR, I looked at various rail systems. It seemed counterproductive to spend so much money on rail systems only to use a fraction of the space for only a light. Magpul came out with the MOE handguards and that solved my issues. Added a little piece of rail, plus light mount and I've been GTG since.

While looking at quad rails, I checked out two variations, both belonging to a co-worker. One was a Midwest Industries, two-piece drop-in that required no alterations to the rifle. Likes - relatively cheap price (around $150), pretty quality construction. Dislikes - round profile, slightly heavier weight than the other rails I tried. The second was a DD Omega rail. Likes - light weight, slimmer profile when compared to MI rail, rock solid, free-floats the barrel. Dislikes - almost double the price of the MI rail, which is really minor considering the quality of the DD rail.

Bottom line, if you want to mount an optic, or a laser on the handguard, I'd go with a DD Omega. If you mostly want the cool looks or the CDI factor of having quad rails, save some money and look at MI offerings. If you just want a light and maybe a forward grip, spend the fraction of the money on the Magpul MOE handguards and a couple of bucks on a section of rail.

My rifle with the MOE handguards and a Surefire 6P LED:

Comment

I ordered the MOE b/c it will meet my needs for now and I don't want to be the guy who buys the most expensive stuff and not use it to its full potential. I'm new to the AR world and I am little over overwhelmed by all the accessories out there, however I’m willing to splurge on things worth splurging on. Jwise, Trempel, and Blackdog, you guys have been very helpful, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by OperatorEX
                            Should have looked around a bit
                            http://www.eastcountyguns.com/

ColtLE6920 for $1199, that $300 rail would have been easy
                            I put a couple hundred rounds through mine already. Think they will take it back at full price?

Comment

I have a 10" Troy on my M&P 15T (came with it) and a 7" Troy on a Bushmaster patrol carbine (installed myself).

The only reason for the 7" was to have a simple aftermarket free-float fore-end, not rails. It was the cost effective way to do it without removing either the barrel or the FST.

They are quite nice and I like them both. The customer service at Troy was excellent.
                              The opinions expressed here are from the individual only and do not represent the view of any agency that the poster may be affiliated with

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2485 users online. 168 members and 2317 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X