Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would an FFL allow me to own non CA listed handguns in CA?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pulicords
    replied
    Originally posted by SCV-Sop View Post
    So if I moved and came back I could bring new off list hand guns?
    That's correct, but you'd have to establish residency in that other state (prior to your return) first.

Additionally, parent to child or child to parent transfers of "off-list" handguns are also permitted if one party or the other resides out of state. Oddly enough, the handgun can't be shipped to a CA FFL for the transfer though! The out of state resident must gift the handgun to the CA resident personally (in the other state or in CA) and the CA resident must then send in a form to DOJ with an $18.00 fee.

Incredibly stupid hoops to jump through, that have nothing to do with either safety or preventing criminals from obtaining firearms.

Leave a comment:

• SCV-Sop
    replied
    Originally posted by nobodyjr View Post
    Incorrect.

People moving into Calif from another state can bring in of list guns. There is also a roster exemption for guns that fire a single round (that's how people get the ar15 pistols into Cali). There are also family transfers that bring in off roster guns.

You just can't bring anything that would be an assault weapon, or hi cap mags.
    So if I moved and came back I could bring new off list hand guns?

Leave a comment:

• nobodyjr
    replied
    Originally posted by SCV-Sop View Post
    The laws of physics don't prevent this. The laws of CA do.

Even if you own off list handguns and you are moving into CA from another state the handguns cannot follow.
    Incorrect.

People moving into Calif from another state can bring in of list guns. There is also a roster exemption for guns that fire a single round (that's how people get the ar15 pistols into Cali). There are also family transfers that bring in off roster guns.

You just can't bring anything that would be an assault weapon, or hi cap mags.
    Last edited by nobodyjr; 09-30-2009, 02:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SCV-Sop
    replied
    Originally posted by Kennedyford
    Huh where? Joe blow cannot go to John Smiths house in Arizona and buy bling .45 1911 A1 and drive back into California? Say it isnt so...say it isnt so....F...
    The laws of physics don't prevent this. The laws of CA do.

Even if you own off list handguns and you are moving into CA from another state the handguns cannot follow.

The approved list is gun control feigning to be about “safety”.

It’s just really disappointing and irritating I cannot buy the same firearms other US citizens can. That’s what really gets me. Not that I want to (I’m not about big guns, or automatic ones), I’m just about WWI/II vintage stuff.

I would also like to build up my own 1911, but I can’t do that because I can’t bring in a frame. Now, people in CA build them from frames from ENTIRE guns that were brought in legally, but that makes no sense to me to build up a 1911 from a GI quality frame, and there is certainly no point in doing a build from an otherwise complete custom to begin with.

Gang Bangers are NOT building firearms from scratch. So what is the law about, it’s about control.

Leave a comment:

• LA DEP
    replied
    Huh where? Joe blow cannot go to John Smiths house in Arizona and buy bling .45 1911 A1 and drive back into California? Say it isnt so...say it isnt so....F...
    ALL private party sales in CA require that you go through a FFL......

Leave a comment:

• nobodyjr
    replied
    Dumb question. If unable to buy or sell this gun IN CALIFORNIA...can you go next door to Arizona, Oregon or Nevada and pick one up? The way you explained it or I understand it is that humans may not OWN said guns restricted on the list.
    No it's against the law.

Leave a comment:

• nobodyjr
    replied
    You should be able to find those guns for much much cheaper than it would be for you to start up an FFL. Getting an FFL is not easy, and you must run a business with it.

Generally "off list" guns have a high mark up, but they can be found. On calguns.net you can post a want to by message. Once some one owns an off list gun (being an LEO is just one of several ways to get an off list gun new) it can legally be transferred via private party transfer to anyone in the state. I bought an HK45 compact last year and ended up selling it for $500 over what I paid.

Leave a comment:

• MikeUD
    replied
    NO. I can go anywhere in the United States to purchase any legal gun at the point of sale FFL dealer for new. I can go anywhere to purchase a private sale.

The question was does Kalifornia forbid the ownership of such guns or transport into the state. Legally I think its only limited to in state purchase and sale of forbidden guns.
    And if you buy a handgun from a FFL outside of your state of residence, that dealer must transfer it to a FFL holder in your resident state who will then release it to you. In CA, the FFL holder in-state would see that Gun X is not on the approved list and not release it.

Long-guns can be bought out of state through a FFL, and you are also correct about private party sales.

Leave a comment:

• 08duramax
    replied
    Dumb question. If unable to buy or sell this gun IN CALIFORNIA...can you go next door to Arizona, Oregon or Nevada and pick one up? The way you explained it or I understand it is that humans may not OWN said guns restricted on the list.
    i believe you have to be a resident of said state to buy a gun there

Leave a comment:

• 08duramax
    replied
    why get a FFL after you get hired. as an officer you can get any gun you want. no need for a ffl. and if you no longer want the gun it can be sold to anyone since its already registered in the state. correct me if im wrong

Leave a comment:

• Blackdog F4i
    replied
    The easiest way to own non-CA approved firearms is.........wait for it.........

MOVE OUT OF CA!

I am getting to the point of wondering what all the sheep would do if the sheepdogs left town, and how long their idiotic viewpoint would last.

Leave a comment:

• SoCalSheriff
    replied
    Non CA approved firearms (Ones that do not go through the "safety quals" detailed in 12126-12130 PC )are prohibited from being sold in the Red Star State.

Of course, there is an LEO exemption, and an individual with an FFL can import them into CA as long as they abide by 12125 PC, by selling them only to the military, law enforcement agencies, and individual officers. My current duty weapon, the Sig Sauer P220 elite, falls into this category.

Leave a comment:

• SCV-Sop
    replied
    Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
    Not sure if it applies everywhere in CA, or just here in the LA area...BUT, you are required to have a 'brick and mortar' business here in LA if you want to get a FFL......the days of being able to run a small firearm business from your garage are long gone.
    I can do that (have access to commercial zoned address with an incorporated business), I didn't want to go that far, but I could do that. I could also for the sake of it sell firearms in limited transactions to maintain that legitimacy.

Then I have to start maintaining documentation, inventory, sales records, etc…..

So I should likely look into the details for myself and see if it's feasible.

I guess the bigger issue of that is unwinding from a brick and motor location. I have access to it now, but what happens when I don't and I'm stuck with all these firearms.

Maybe I'll just get a CCR (limiting me to only old guns), and have them fixed up and just forget about collectability value.

Either overpay for fixing up old ones, or overpay to maneuver around various hurdles to get new ones priced at far market value.

Leave a comment:

• LA DEP
    replied
    Not sure if it applies everywhere in CA, or just here in the LA area...BUT, you are required to have a 'brick and mortar' business here in LA if you want to get a FFL......the days of being able to run a small firearm business from your garage are long gone.

Leave a comment:

• eman2k5
    replied
    Not from Cali or know cali law.

My .02.... from all the stuff I read on cali, I bet the loophole you thought you found was bricked up and welded shut many many years ago.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2918 users online. 174 members and 2744 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X