Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would an FFL allow me to own non CA listed handguns in CA?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would an FFL allow me to own non CA listed handguns in CA?

Basically, I would really like to get myself the reproduction WWI COLT 1911 and the reproduction Model 70.

These are not CA approved handguns. The closest thing I could get is an original which was already in CA before the list was made. But I want things I can put 100,000 rounds through. I don't collect display pieces.

This thought occurred to me a while back when I wanted to get a Beretta 90-TWO, which was only available to LEO’s. I was annoyed because this handgun has all the bells and whistles needed to meet CA design laws, but Beretta didn’t register it.

Anyway, since it is only available to LEO’s that would mean a CA FFL dealer would have the means to import it and sell it to them.

So my question is: with an FFL could I basically get things like non CA approved semi-automatic handguns and as long as I ONLY sell them to LEO’s or out ship them out of state to another FFL.

Also, would this allow me to purchase new frames so I could build myself a Caspian 1911 (for example)?

My entire intent is to never sell any of these and use them for my personal entertainment. In the event I did sell them, they obviously wouldn’t be NEW anymore.

Or am I pressing my luck with my intent for an FFL?

This is the initial stages of my inquire about this. I don’t intend to start any FFL paper work until AFTER I’m hired and maybe even off FTO.

Thanks,

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
    - Cornelius Tacitus

Not from Cali or know cali law.

My .02.... from all the stuff I read on cali, I bet the loophole you thought you found was bricked up and welded shut many many years ago.
    sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

Not sure if it applies everywhere in CA, or just here in the LA area...BUT, you are required to have a 'brick and mortar' business here in LA if you want to get a FFL......the days of being able to run a small firearm business from your garage are long gone.
      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
        Not sure if it applies everywhere in CA, or just here in the LA area...BUT, you are required to have a 'brick and mortar' business here in LA if you want to get a FFL......the days of being able to run a small firearm business from your garage are long gone.
        I can do that (have access to commercial zoned address with an incorporated business), I didn't want to go that far, but I could do that. I could also for the sake of it sell firearms in limited transactions to maintain that legitimacy.

Then I have to start maintaining documentation, inventory, sales records, etc…..

So I should likely look into the details for myself and see if it's feasible.

I guess the bigger issue of that is unwinding from a brick and motor location. I have access to it now, but what happens when I don't and I'm stuck with all these firearms.

Maybe I'll just get a CCR (limiting me to only old guns), and have them fixed up and just forget about collectability value.

Either overpay for fixing up old ones, or overpay to maneuver around various hurdles to get new ones priced at far market value.

- Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

Non CA approved firearms (Ones that do not go through the "safety quals" detailed in 12126-12130 PC )are prohibited from being sold in the Red Star State.

Of course, there is an LEO exemption, and an individual with an FFL can import them into CA as long as they abide by 12125 PC, by selling them only to the military, law enforcement agencies, and individual officers. My current duty weapon, the Sig Sauer P220 elite, falls into this category.
          Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
          --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

The easiest way to own non-CA approved firearms is.........wait for it.........

MOVE OUT OF CA!

I am getting to the point of wondering what all the sheep would do if the sheepdogs left town, and how long their idiotic viewpoint would last.
            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
            8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

why get a FFL after you get hired. as an officer you can get any gun you want. no need for a ffl. and if you no longer want the gun it can be sold to anyone since its already registered in the state. correct me if im wrong
              If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
              Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Kennedyford
                Dumb question. If unable to buy or sell this gun IN CALIFORNIA...can you go next door to Arizona, Oregon or Nevada and pick one up? The way you explained it or I understand it is that humans may not OWN said guns restricted on the list.
                i believe you have to be a resident of said state to buy a gun there
                If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
                Thomas Jefferson

Comment

NO. I can go anywhere in the United States to purchase any legal gun at the point of sale FFL dealer for new. I can go anywhere to purchase a private sale.

The question was does Kalifornia forbid the ownership of such guns or transport into the state. Legally I think its only limited to in state purchase and sale of forbidden guns.
                  And if you buy a handgun from a FFL outside of your state of residence, that dealer must transfer it to a FFL holder in your resident state who will then release it to you. In CA, the FFL holder in-state would see that Gun X is not on the approved list and not release it.

Long-guns can be bought out of state through a FFL, and you are also correct about private party sales.
                  -Mike
                  The above comments reflect the personal, off-the-record, unofficial opinions of the individual posting them only, and in no way, shape, or form should be taken to indicate any particular opinion, policy, or belief by the poster's or any other agency, governmental entity, organization, or corporation. Thank you and have a nice day.

Comment

You should be able to find those guns for much much cheaper than it would be for you to start up an FFL. Getting an FFL is not easy, and you must run a business with it.

Generally "off list" guns have a high mark up, but they can be found. On calguns.net you can post a want to by message. Once some one owns an off list gun (being an LEO is just one of several ways to get an off list gun new) it can legally be transferred via private party transfer to anyone in the state. I bought an HK45 compact last year and ended up selling it for $500 over what I paid.

Comment

Dumb question. If unable to buy or sell this gun IN CALIFORNIA...can you go next door to Arizona, Oregon or Nevada and pick one up? The way you explained it or I understand it is that humans may not OWN said guns restricted on the list.
                      No it's against the law.

Comment

Huh where? Joe blow cannot go to John Smiths house in Arizona and buy bling .45 1911 A1 and drive back into California? Say it isnt so...say it isnt so....F...
                        ALL private party sales in CA require that you go through a FFL......
                        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Huh where? Joe blow cannot go to John Smiths house in Arizona and buy bling .45 1911 A1 and drive back into California? Say it isnt so...say it isnt so....F...
                          The laws of physics don't prevent this. The laws of CA do.

Even if you own off list handguns and you are moving into CA from another state the handguns cannot follow.

The approved list is gun control feigning to be about “safety”.

It’s just really disappointing and irritating I cannot buy the same firearms other US citizens can. That’s what really gets me. Not that I want to (I’m not about big guns, or automatic ones), I’m just about WWI/II vintage stuff.

I would also like to build up my own 1911, but I can’t do that because I can’t bring in a frame. Now, people in CA build them from frames from ENTIRE guns that were brought in legally, but that makes no sense to me to build up a 1911 from a GI quality frame, and there is certainly no point in doing a build from an otherwise complete custom to begin with.

Gang Bangers are NOT building firearms from scratch. So what is the law about, it’s about control.

- Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

Originally posted by SCV-Sop View Post
                            The laws of physics don't prevent this. The laws of CA do.

Even if you own off list handguns and you are moving into CA from another state the handguns cannot follow.
                            Incorrect.

People moving into Calif from another state can bring in of list guns. There is also a roster exemption for guns that fire a single round (that's how people get the ar15 pistols into Cali). There are also family transfers that bring in off roster guns.

You just can't bring anything that would be an assault weapon, or hi cap mags.
                            Last edited by nobodyjr; 09-30-2009, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nobodyjr View Post
                              Incorrect.

People moving into Calif from another state can bring in of list guns. There is also a roster exemption for guns that fire a single round (that's how people get the ar15 pistols into Cali). There are also family transfers that bring in off roster guns.

You just can't bring anything that would be an assault weapon, or hi cap mags.
                              So if I moved and came back I could bring new off list hand guns?

- Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6321 users online. 359 members and 5962 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X