X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AgentFox
    Ewww, about that.
    • Jan 2006

H.R. 218 : Still CCW Permit?

Anyone, even though being a LEO, still possess a CCW, be it for your own state or one of the more popular state issued permits?

Why? Already had it? Got it anyhow after the fact? Which state CCW? Why?
  • Steve in PA
    Forum Rookie
    • Mar 2000

The idea behind having a CCW, permit, license to carry, etc for your home state is that it has nothing to do with your badge.

If for some reason you are suspended, benched, or otherwise have your authority temporarily pulled, you can still carry a firearm with the CCW.
    Steve

Comment

• ArkansasFan24
      Forum Member
      • Sep 2006

I had one that I obtained before becoming an officer. It expired on 9/16, but I have six months to renew it without having to go back through the course, etc, and I only have to fill out the form, pay an extra $15 on top of the normal renewal fees, and I'm good to go. I want to maintain it so I can carry a weapon if I choose to should I leave LE, and I find it's easier to buy firearms with.

Comment

• TimK
        Forum Member
        • Feb 2009

Here in Washington there's a 5-day wait on handgun purchases without a CCW permit, so that's something.
        **Not a LEO**

Comment

• CPD7297
          Gone and Forgotten
          • Mar 2008

I obtained an Ohio conceal carry permit (what a joke) shortly before HR218 was enacted. They are valid for four years. After expiration, I believe one would have to pay and take the course again to obtain another four year permit. I simply let mine expire and now qualify yearly at my department shooting range for the HR218 requirements.
          The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Comment

• LA DEP
            Molon Labe
            • Dec 2007

Good luck getting a CCW here.....they absolutely will not issue them, esp. to someone (LEO) that can already carry on their creds.

Just carrying (not firing) an unauthorized weapon is 10 days off without pay
            The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

• Blackdog F4i
              Oh no, it's da Po-Po
              • May 2006

Originally posted by AgentFox
              Anyone, even though being a LEO, still possess a CCW, be it for your own state or one of the more popular state issued permits?

Why? Already had it? Got it anyhow after the fact? Which state CCW? Why?
              Yes, I carry a Lifetime Personal Protection Permit in Indiana. First, because I believe that regular citizens should be able to carry. You better believe that politicians take note of the number of permit holders. If we go to the trouble to get that permit, you think we will neglect to vote?

Second, before HR218 my badge did not allow me to cross into another state armed unless I was in pursuit. My permit did (Kentucky is reciprocal along with several others).

Lastly, if I got fired, suspended or quit, the dirtbags that I arrested don't automatically cease being ****ed at me. I would prefer to retain the ability to defend myself and my family while I go through whatever problems placed me in a situation where my police powers were suspended.

I have carried a Personal Protection Permit for most of my adult life. I let it lapse for awhile while I was on active duty because they don't apply on base and when I was home I usually had a shotgun in my vehicle. My wife now has a Lifetime Permit and I will make sure each of my boys apply for one when they are old enough.
              "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
              8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

• Blackdog F4i
                Oh no, it's da Po-Po
                • May 2006

Originally posted by Marky Mark
                I know a couple guys who've gotten a state CWL because their Dept limited them to qualifying with 'approved' off-duty guns, but on a CWL, they can carry what they want to.
                Thankfully our SOP only dictates what weapons we carry when in uniform or acting in official capacity. I can carry whatever I want off-duty.

My Commander is NOT an authorized duty weapon.
                "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

• AgentFox
                  Ewww, about that.
                  • Jan 2006

Which state is the best? I was thinking of trying to get one through MD, a "almost probably not ever" issue state to see the process. FL or UT?

Comment

• orlandofed5-0
                    One Night In Bangkok
                    • Dec 2004

I work for a limited jurisdiction agency for the federal government. My agency does not have statutory authority nor do we carry have off duty carry of govt firearms. I have a PA LTCF (kinda like a ccw) just because it will cover me.
                    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

• 55-502
                      Retired Lawdog
                      • Dec 2008

Apparantly there a few small departments here in Indiana, that require their Reserve Officers to have the LTCH permit (no CCW issued here) when off duty. Dumbest thing I have ever heard, and in opposition to our State Constitution. I have our state's lifetime permit, best $100 I ever spent.

Retired Lawdawg & Proud IMPD Papa!

"Justice is the one thing you should always find"
                      Toby Keith

Comment

• Mike 842
                        Forum Member
                        • Sep 2005

When I retired, part of the paperwork I was given included an application for CCW permit. At the time , I only had to fill it out,get it notarized and send in a passport photo....state issued @N/C. When it came up for renewal, it was a small fee and a current photo.

This permit currently has reciprocity in 33 other states. and is renewable every 5 years.

When HR 218 was signed into federal law in 2004, part of the requirements state that you must fire the SAME state course of fire as active duty Officers ANNUALLY and have documentation to back that up. Alot of states do NOT provide a venue for this, It wasn't until earlier this year that FDLE finally issued uniform compliance cards to be filled out by FDLE certified instructors that the retiree has fired the state course. It's a pass/fail 40 round course that can be easily done.

Alot of local agencies are not willing to let out of agency retired Officers qualify. These officers must return to their own agency they retired from to qualify. The reasoning is liability issues. Officers unable to find a place to shoot are forced to find a private instructor that is FDLE certified and pay them a fee and shoot for qual.

The CCW eliminates all this. If you want to carry w/o the aggravation, all that's required is a CCW from where you live. If you want to carry out of state, than YOU need to check and make SURE your permit will be valid in the state your going to and those you're going thru.

I was fortunate in that I met the guy running for Sheriff in an adjoining County when he was campaigning. After I politely turned down his job offer, I asked him about speaking to a large group of homeowners in the North end of the county reference setting up a neighborhood crime watch. He gave a sucessful talk and with alot of help from others, got elected. I contacted him a couple months back and within 2 days got a call from their firearms instructor and met with him @ their range. after shooting the course, he handed me the compliance card and said "See ya next year".

So bottom line . if you DON"T/Can't pass the state minimum standard course of fire for the state you live in on an ANNUAL basis, then you are better off obtaining a CCW from the state you reside in.

Yes I have both, CCW and HR 218 compliance card to go with my I.D. One for each gun I carry, like an old Gunny once said to me " You got to be equipped ".stay safe

Comment

• DAL
                          "Official Non-Person"
                          • Dec 2005

Believe it or not, there is at least one situation under California law in which a person with a CCW permit may carry but an off-duty peace officer may not.
                          Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• eviioiive
                            Forum Member
                            • Oct 2008

HR 218 does not exist... Try Public Law 108-277 or 18 U.S. Code 926B / 926C....

Comment

• DAL
                              "Official Non-Person"
                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by eviioiive
                              HR 218 does not exist... Try Public Law 108-277 or 18 U.S. Code 926B / 926C....
                              Its name is the "Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act." Just as people do not refer to the Sherman Anti-trust Act by its citation of 15 U.S.C. Section 2, they rarely use the U.S. Code Sections and virtually never use the Public Laws citation.

H.R. 218 does indeed "exist"; it has multiple existences. The current H.R. 218 is a bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide a nonrefundable personal credit to individuals who donate certain life-saving organs. Somehow, HR 218 has stuck, even though it does not refer uniquely to LEOSA.
                              Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12177 users online. 75 members and 12102 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...