300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I buy this gun?

I want to purchase a 1911 pistol (I've already read the thread). I want it to be a chrome or nickeled 1911 .45.

I have no idea how to purchase a gun like this. I have checked local retailers but no luck. Do I buy a 1911 and have it chromed or nickel plated? Can I special order one? Where and how would I do this?

Also, just imagine money is no object, within reason.
    "I would suggest that when a person has a thought of doing anything serious against the law, that before they did, that they should go to a quiet place and think about it seriously."

William George Bonin - Executed in Calfornia Feb 23rd 1996

look online and get it shipped to an ffl in your area....easy.

Comment

Well first how fancy of a 1911 do you want. Are you thinking about a plain GI model or a more customized one. If you want a more basic 1911 you will probably have to get one and have it refinished since almost no production 1911 come with those finishes. If you want a fully custom 1911 and money is not as much an option, then check some of the top of the line custom 1911 makers like nighthawk custom or Les Baer and custom order one with a chrome finish. After you have decided what 1911 you want go check with any of the local retailers to see if they can special order one for you. Hope this helps.

Comment

You could buy a stainless 1911 and have it polished -- not that I recommend having a shiny gun. But it's probably necessary to get that authentic bandido or narcotraficante look. At one time, Colt made nickel-plated 1911s.
        Last edited by DAL; 09-26-2009, 02:31 PM.
        Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Stop Resisting View Post
          Also, just imagine money is no object, within reason.
          So which do you prefer? Money no object or within reason? And if within reason, what is reasonable to you? Some people cringe at the costs of many off the shelf 1911's. A customized 1911 can be very expensive. Again one mans cheap, is another mans expensive.
          The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Do a search of the major gun makers and check their sites, i.e., Wilson Combat, Para Ordnance, CZ, Kimber, Smith & Wesson, SigSauer, Springfield, etc. Any top notch gun store can order a firearm.
            The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Comment

Go to Gunbroker, do a search for the weapon and buy it.......you just then have to have it shipped to a FFL who will do the required paperwork for you
              The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

If money is no object...call the Colt Custom Shop and tell them what you want.

HOWEVER I will caution that there are better choices for finishes than Chrome or Nickel Plate for a working or hard use pistol.
                "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Should have probably clarified a few things:

This will not be a carry gun. Mainly just a range piece, my own created heirloom. For price, I'm looking with a range of $0-$2000. Preferably less, but I'm going to buy what I want.

And I really have no idea how to specially order a gun. What is a FFL?
                  "I would suggest that when a person has a thought of doing anything serious against the law, that before they did, that they should go to a quiet place and think about it seriously."

William George Bonin - Executed in Calfornia Feb 23rd 1996

Comment

An "FFL" is a Federal Firearms License, the letters "FFL" are often used as slang for a gun dealer. Any gun you buy online has to be shipped to an FFL holder so they can process the transfer paperwork and run a NICS check on you. This is stuff you should probably already know....

Anyway, call Maine Military Supply in Brewer, ME - 202.989.6783. I was just there last night and they have a bright nickel plated Rock Island Armory GI model (their version of the standard 1911) in stock. They have it tagged at $499.99. RIA's aren't Colt's by any stretch of the imagination but they're solid, good shooting guns, I have two, a .45 and a .38 Super. I don't know that I'd save them for family heirlooms but they're a good place to start getting into the 1911 world without spending a fortune. I have no idea what they charge for shipping and it's up to you to find an FFL holder for them to ship it to that will do the transfer, there's usually a small fee for that also.
                    Last edited by WC145; 09-27-2009, 10:23 AM.

Comment

If money is no object I'd go with a Kimber Custom.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/custom/

Comment

For an heirloom, you want either a full custom job, or a Colt.

I'd recommend a Colt, just because it is the original. For a shooter, this recommendation would be different, but for an heirloom, there are few better.

Check out some of these:

http://www.centralfloridapawn.com/coltcustom1.html

J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Look into just getting a stainless pistol, then have it polished. Here's what a professional metal polish can look like:

J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SHU View Post
                            If money is no object I'd go with a Kimber Custom.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/custom/
                            No disrespect but I can easily think of half a dozen companies who are easily heads and tails better than anything coming out of the Kimber custom shop. Wilson Combat, Les Baer, Ed Brown, and even Springfield Armory's own custom shop are better choices.
                            People grow through experience, if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2603 users online. 119 members and 2484 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X