300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone know of an affordable 9?

Just went to nights so my wife confiscated my back-up, a .357 wheel gun for home defense while I am at work but gave me the blessing to buy a new one, on a budget.

We have to carry 9mm on my department but back-ups/off-duty guns can be a wide range. Anybody know of a fair quality back-up type gun for under $225? That is really stretching my budget as is but it will be for a gun I will only go to after my duty gun, shotgun and AR have failed me or I have failed to get to them for some reason (a weapon of last resort so high-quality is not necessary).

Thanks all
    Be safe, watch their hands and always check your "6"

Originally posted by hudson69 View Post
    Just went to nights so my wife confiscated my back-up, a .357 wheel gun for home defense while I am at work but gave me the blessing to buy a new one, on a budget.

We have to carry 9mm on my department but back-ups/off-duty guns can be a wide range. Anybody know of a fair quality back-up type gun for under $225? That is really stretching my budget as is but it will be for a gun I will only go to after my duty gun, shotgun and AR have failed me or I have failed to get to them for some reason (a weapon of last resort so high-quality is not necessary).

Thanks all
    I'm confused if you want a 9mm or .357, but in either case with your budget if you want quality, you'll probably need to go with a used weapon.

Retired Lawdawg & Proud IMPD Papa!

"Justice is the one thing you should always find"
    Toby Keith

Comment

Hi-Point makes a decent cheap (under $200) pistol. Kinda top heavy but you can get used to that. I think maybe you should bite the bullet and go with Taurus or S&W or FN, for about twice what you'd like to spend, or maybe go with Glock, Browning, H&K, Walther, or Sig-Sauer, for perhaps around 3 times your contemplated expenditure.

Comment

Not a 9 but check out the Ruger LCP. They are going for 299 a little above your budget but about as low as I would care to go in quality in that price.

Only you can decide what compromise to make with quality vs your safety.
        The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Your wife will be better off with a shotgun at home, take your revolver back.

Comment

If quality is not a concern, get a Lorcin L9 from your local hock shop.
            I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

I agree with David. Use the $200 to get your wife an 870 Express or 870 Youth Express (depending on her size) and reclaim the revolver.

If she's dead-set on using the wheel gun, JG Sales has police trade-in SW model 64 stainless 4" barrel revolvers with bobbed hammers in your price range, though you'll likely go $30-$50 over budget after shipping and transfer.
              **Not a LEO**

Comment

You want to carry a cheap, under $225.00 B/U gun that my defend your life? Good luck with that one. Take back your .357! Is your wife against a shotgun? Buy a used one (maybe a .410) and cut the barrel/stock down to the legal length for home defense. Your wife can get a better tight grip on a long gun compared to her shooting a magnum revolver. Just a thought. If that won't fly save some more cash and get the small .380 Ruger LCP. Then decide who gets the .357.
                The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Comment

If you are going to use it to fight for your life (and that is exactly what a "backup" is) then price should NEVER be your primary concern.

If you WILL NOT (notice I didn't say CANNOT) afford a high quality backup, then as other have said, reclaim your .357 and get the wife a shotgun. You can find scores of new and used 12ga that are suitable for home defense in your price range. Explain to her that instead of hitting the dirtbag with one .357 cal projectile she can hit with nine .33 cal projectiles in one pull of the trigger and still have five to eight more try's for good measure.

You need to make it clear to your wife that she does not get to choose what you carry on duty. If she wants a .357 wheelgun then she needs to buy her own. If my wife up and decides that she wants my M4 for home defense because I work nights (i do) she doesn't get to just confiscate it and tell me to get a less reliable weapon to protect my life. Obviously this is a moot point at my house because my wife can choose what she needs from the arsenal (.357 wheel gun up to AK47 if she chooses). However she is happy with her XD-9.
                  "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                  8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

a kel-tec P11

Comment

Get the .357 back from your wife! Take her gun shopping on a budget and see how long it takes her to decide that cheap is not the way to go. It's YOUR life on the line while you're at work. The odds of you needing a quality weapon to save your life are much higher. If a cheap firearm is acceptable to her let her depend on it. Hopefully you think better of your wife and yourself to put a cheap price on your lives. There are times to save. Saving your life is not the time.

Stay safe!
                      ROLL TIDE!!!

Comment

Use the 200 and buy your wife a 20 ga pump. Probably solved.
                        Last edited by SHU; 09-30-2009, 09:24 PM. Reason: k

Comment

While not a 9MM Luger round, check out the following link. These are used but in good condition and right in your price range. And the 9X19 rounds are about the same as the 9MM Luger rounds. While the Makarov pistol is a little underpowered, considering you're looking for a last resort pistol, this is better than nothing. The Makarov is a solidly built weapon. As a plus, it comes with 2-12 round magazines and the leather holster.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/C...18_Pistol.html

Comment

Okay, if your looking for something in that price range, I could recommend a Hi-Point 9mm. It has a 8 round capacity mag with 10 mag optional. It's actually a great gun for the price, I own one. Cost is about $155.00

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/hand...point_9mm.html
                            "Abandon your animosities and make your sons Americans." - Robert E. Lee, 1865

Comment

Originally posted by az4code23 View Post
                              Okay, if your looking for something in that price range, I could recommend a Hi-Point 9mm. It has a 8 round capacity mag with 10 mag optional. It's actually a great gun for the price, I own one. Cost is about $155.00

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/hand...point_9mm.html
                              HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEH - I thought you were serious there for a minute.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5616 users online. 354 members and 5262 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X