300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Up Weapon Suggestions.

I believe that I will be hired soon by a local PD and am looking for suggestions for a good back up gun for on duty. I am not really looking for an ankle gun due to my height so I would like something that I could keep higher up maybe in my vest if they have pockets. Any insight would be appreicated.
    The most important things in life are worth fighting for.

<--------- RAAAAAR!!!

2" revolver.....SW makes a nice VERY lightweight one with a scandium frame. Not cheap though.
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Don't even think about buying a back-up weapon until you're hired and know what your department's policy is. While most departments allow small framed, 2" barreled, .38/.357 Magnum revolvers (ie: S&W J-frames), every place is different. Even if some of the more common options are approved, there's no guarantee that what you want is allowed until you see the policy.
      "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Originally posted by sjc1526 View Post
        ...due to my height...

what? unless the gun is longer than your leg this shouldn't matter...

Comment

I really dont believe in guns that are on my ankle..... how good is a back up gun if I have to reach down to my ankle, unstrap it, and raise back up to get on target..... really in a situation that merits a backup gun this is crazy. Thus reaching down from my high point of view putting myself in a very dangerous situation.

<--------- RAAAAAR!!!

Comment

I'd say typically to change weapons you're going to need to take cover anyways...what's the difference if it's on your ankle or tucked inside your shirt? You're still going to have to come back to target. Even if it was in your shirt are you just going to stand there while you switch to it?

Comment

Originally posted by cadetlinux View Post
              I'd say typically to change weapons you're going to need to take cover anyways...what's the difference if it's on your ankle or tucked inside your shirt? You're still going to have to come back to target. Even if it was in your shirt are you just going to stand there while you switch to it?
              That is not usually when we see the use of the BUG out here.....it is mostly used during a fight when a suspect is attempting a disarm of your duty weapon, or when you cant get to your duty weapon for one reason or another. The BUG then usually gets screwed in the BGs ear and the trigger pulled a few times.

I knew of only one Deputy that I worked with that kept his BUG on his ankle, and that was for a second BUG.
              The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                That is not usually when we see the use of the BUG out here.....it is mostly used during a fight when a suspect is attempting a disarm of your duty weapon, or when you cant get to your duty weapon for one reason or another. The BUG then usually gets screwed in the BGs ear and the trigger pulled a few times.

I knew of only one Deputy that I worked with that kept his BUG on his ankle, and that was for a second BUG.

I completely agree that is my thought and reasoning exactly. I am not going to have time to pull out a gun from my ankle in the heat of a struggle.

<--------- RAAAAAR!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cadetlinux View Post
                  If I am in a struggle with someone and they knock me on my back and I do not have time to get to my feet, my gun is dropped and out of reach yes I believe I am going to go for my weapon before I get cover.

<--------- RAAAAAR!!!

Comment

How tall are you?
                    ROLL TIDE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ABC144 View Post
                      How tall are you?
                      6'6''

<--------- RAAAAAR!!!

Comment

Do you have long legs with midget arms?

Would kinda look like T-Rex without the cool teeth...

NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

I carry a Sig P239 9mm in an Uncle Mike's vest holster. The strap of your body armor goes through a slot on the holster and this is what holds your holster and gun against your body armor and your body. I carry opposite of my duty weapon butt forward w/ maybe the top part of the slide under my arm when my arm is down to side of my body. I like it there and I have had no security issues w/ it. Good luck and stay safe.

Comment

how good is a back up gun if I have to reach down to my ankle, unstrap it, and raise back
                            Fabulous if you're seated or grounded; which is when you're most likely to need it.

I carried a Colt Defender on my ankle when I was in uniform. Complimented my duty 1911 nicely.
                            I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

we have to qualify with of bug, where we are going to carry them....they give us these stupid little cards that say where you are aloud to carry your off duty or bugs due to where you have qualified with them. i think you can have up to three positions for each weapon. its funny watching people who just got a bug, strapped it to their ankle or vest and try to draw it out and shoot with it. needless to say the targets turn and turn back before they can present the weapon. i think you cant be perfectly prepared for any situation with any one weapon type. a gun isnt always the only answer or best. but with practice where ever you keep your bug, it can serve its purpose.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6154 users online. 329 members and 5825 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X